Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Mobil1 Oil

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mobil1 Oil

Has anyone tried out the new Mobil Oils? I'm talking about the extended life oils, 5000, 7500, and 15000 mile synthetics. I'm using the standard 5w30 blue cap mobil synthetic and it seems to be fine, but i change it every 2500. I'm wondering if this new oil actually stays cleaner longer...
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Only the 15k extended is fully synthetic and called "Mobil 1".

The goal is not to keep the oil clean, but just the opposite. You want the oil to keep the engine clean and keep contaminants dissolved or suspended. If your oil isn't getting dirty, it's not doing half of its job. The other half, of course, is lubrication.

Now, obviously, at 2500 miles, your oil's not going to be getting very dirty. Personally, I think that's too frequent. It's a waste of time and resources to replace a fully synthetic oil that soon. It won't hurt your engine, it's just wasteful.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

3000 miles is good .. under that is overkill... but just my opinion.. I use 10-30
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

I change my oil every 3500-5000 miles. with the technology of our synthetic oils...theres no need to do it earlier. These oils are made to withstand even longer. unless you do major and long term traveling in your evo...theres no need to do it earlier.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

/\ /\ /\ /\
Agreed
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I change mine every 3K. No problems yet.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

think of it from this perspective...

changing your oil too frequently could potentially shorted engine life.

when you change your oil, you drain all the oil out of the gallies, and out of the oilpump pickup. when you refill it and start it up for the first time, your engine will rotate approx 25-50 times before full oil pressure is restored.

oil companies talk about how hard startup is on the motor...well, imagine initial startup with no oil to lubricate.

in the grand scheme of things, up untill the early 90s, noone talked about changing oil every 3k. it was normally 5k-7k, and that was with conventional oil, that's not even with synthetic. that's where the 15k oil name comes from on the mobil 1 synthetic...on a standard car, that'll hold true. no change in formula. the whole 3k thing was marketing.

just my opinion...
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:04 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by koolade9
in the grand scheme of things, up untill the early 90s, noone talked about changing oil every 3k. it was normally 5k-7k,
Um, my oil changing dates to the mid '70s and 3K was the conventional wisdom then. In those days graphite was the miracle cure. OK, who remembers the STP ads with the guy trying to pick up the screwdriver?

Dave
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

in the grand scheme of things, up untill the early 90s, noone talked about changing oil every 3k. it was normally 5k-7k, and that was with conventional oil, that's not even with synthetic. that's where the 15k oil name comes from on the mobil 1 synthetic...on a standard car, that'll hold true. no change in formula. the whole 3k thing was marketing.

just my opinion...[/QUOTE]
From as far as I can remember 3000 miles was always the norm for turbocharged engines. Synthetic or conventional.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by koolade9
think of it from this perspective...

changing your oil too frequently could potentially shorted engine life.

when you change your oil, you drain all the oil out of the gallies, and out of the oilpump pickup. when you refill it and start it up for the first time, your engine will rotate approx 25-50 times before full oil pressure is restored.

oil companies talk about how hard startup is on the motor...well, imagine initial startup with no oil to lubricate.

just my opinion...
I don't agree with this theory at all... you're only draining what's in the oil pan when you change your oil, anyhitng that would drain out of the galleys when you're draining the pan would ahve already drained to the pan when the motor was shut off, starting after changing the oil is no worse than normal startup. However, the oil that is in the filter is a different story. You should make sure you top off your oil filter before you put it in, because if you don't the oil pump will spend time filling the filter instead of pumping oil through the engine.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila

just my opinion...
From as far as I can remember 3000 miles was always the norm for turbocharged engines. Synthetic or conventional.[/QUOTE]
yeah
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'll see if I can find the link, but somone posted here about a group that was actually testing the efective life of synthetic oils. They decided to drive with the same oil in the engine for one year, taking samples every month or at least every 1000 miles (if the car wasn't driven for a while) and they took into account variables such as the amount of oil removed and tehn repalced, topping up, etc. very comprehensive. At any rate, tehy found that Mobil 1 was good up to like 15K miles and they only changed it because the year was up... hang on, let me see if I can find that....
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Oh and for the guy saying the Mobil 1 extended life is the only fully synthetic oil, you're wrong. The standard Mobil 1 is the same Mobil 1 that it has always been, the new Mobil 1 extended life is simply that, extended life. And you can still buy non-synthetic Mobil oil as well. Furthermore, DO NOT run the extended life oil in your Evo. If you spend time to read the container, the back of the Extended life bottle states "NOT FOR HIGH TEMPERATURE TURBOCHARGED APPLICATIONS OR FOR HEAVY DUTY TOWING APPLICATIONS"

Also, direct from Mobil's Website:

Originally Posted by Mobil Website
Upon what driving conditions are these performance claims based? Normal or severe driving conditions?

These claims relate to all typical consumer driving conditions, excluding those mentioned below. In other words, if you drive under normal conditions and use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in your vehicle, the oil is guaranteed to protect your engine for 15,000 miles. We also recommend that drivers consult their owner’s manual while their vehicle is under warranty, and follow the guidelines set forth there. Additionally, we recommend that if consumers drive routinely in severe conditions that they follow the oil change interval recommended in their owner's manual for severe conditions. We define "severe conditions" as:

racing or commercial applications;

frequent towing or hauling;

extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or

excessive idling.
Also, like I said before, the bottle says not for turbocharged applications, even though that is not mentioned on the website.

Stick with standard Mobil 1 if you know what's good for your motor.

- Steve

Last edited by SuperHatch; Mar 15, 2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Here's the EvoM thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=oil+life
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Vroompsh
I'm using the standard 5w30 blue cap mobil synthetic
You should be using the green cap 10w30. Look at the owner's manual.

Quick Reply: New Mobil1 Oil