Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 vs. Type R

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 vs. Type R

No! I am not comparing speed or anything like that. What I am
comparing, is the Evo 8 going to be what they Integra Type R
still is, a classic. I mean Type R's are still the c4(Highly explosive, ya know the bomb), they hold really good re-sale value etc., Basically with Evo 8 being a "limited production car", who thinks
this car will be similar to the Itr 5 years from now in that aspect?
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't they release a thousand (or was it a hundred) of the ITR's here in the states? There are supposedly 5000 INITIAL evolutions coming here. There will be more. So, no, it wont be as rare as an ITR.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Indeed, the Evo is going to be a mass production machine no doubt. They know the demand is there. The Type R is a specialty car by all means, I mean come on, it's heads are hand polished. Supposedly though, the next Type R we see will have large production numbers.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

There were between 3-4k Type R's released to the US market over the model years 97, 98, 2000 and 2001.

Mine was a 2000, it was yellow and was car number #442. I sold it this week for $3k less than I bought it for 3 years ago!

There won't be a US version Type R again for a while. Honda has no convenient place to put such a car in their US line-up currently, without treading on the sales of their other auto lines.

The Evo won't be nearly as rare as a type R...But I think it's value will depreciate only a little more quickly than that of the ITR. Even if they make and sell 10k Evos per year, it'll still be a relatively rare bird, in a world where there are 500,000 Accords and 400,000 Camrys sold each year.

SC (Cheeseman on honda-tech.com)
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
There were between 3-4k Type R's released to the US market over the model years 97, 98, 2000 and 2001.

Mine was a 2000, it was yellow and was car number #442. I sold it this week for $3k less than I bought it for 3 years ago!

There won't be a US version Type R again for a while. Honda has no convenient place to put such a car in their US line-up currently, without treading on the sales of their other auto lines.

The Evo won't be nearly as rare as a type R...But I think it's value will depreciate only a little more quickly than that of the ITR. Even if they make and sell 10k Evos per year, it'll still be a relatively rare bird, in a world where there are 500,000 Accords and 400,000 Camrys sold each year.

Do you know if they release the Mugen RSX in the states in the future?
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo is more comparable to the S2000. About 5000 per year. The S2000 held it's value very well until just recently. Now all of the sudden with the 350Z's, WRX's, etc.... out for cheaper (stripped down 350Z's), the S2000 is not worth nearly as much (although still decent compared to explorers's).

My dad just traded his '00 S2000 with 12.5k miles in for $22.5k We tried to sell it for $24k but no luck.

I bought my '01 S2000 with 6k miles on it for $26,700 (with a front spoiler and some other options) about 8 months ago.

The Type R's are fairly rare and do hold their value damn well.

I would imagine a 3 year old EVO with 25k miles (as long as they don't upgrade the new ones too much) would resell for $20k.?
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even if they make and sell 10k Evos per year, it'll still be a relatively rare bird, in a world where there are 500,000 Accords and 400,000 Camrys sold each year.
Spoken like a true Honda fanatic Actually, the Camry is the best selling car in America right now with just over 400K units. The Accord sells in the high 300K's. At any rate, S2000's and NSX's do command a strong book, but a patient buyer can still have his choice of cars and be able to work a deal in his or her favor, plus if push comes to shove they can just go get a new one. It's if they stop making them when/if the prices will soar if demand remands high. Witness what MKIV Supras, Rx-7's and the like bring. Forget what the books say, if you want a clean example you have to come off the hip pretty strong.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
Do you know if they release the Mugen RSX in the states in the future?
No Mugen RSX in the US that I am aware of. American Honda has never brought over a car tuned by an outside house and sold it as new off their lot.

SC
Old Jan 23, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

I was under the impression that release of the type R was only in '98 (white) and '00 (yellow and black).
Old Jan 24, 2003, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Liandrin11

I was under the impression that release of the type R was only in '98 (white) and '00 (yellow and black).
Well, what can I say? Your impression was not a correct one.

97 Type R's were white, had the pre 98' flatter bug eye front, no rear windshield wiper, and a leather shift knob.

98 Type R's were white, had the newly revised for 98' front end where the round lights were more flush with the front fascia, had rear wiper, and leather knob.

2000 Type R's were yellow or black, had gunmetal colored wheels, titanium colored aluminum shift knob.

2001 Type R's were exactly the same as the 2000's.

SC
Old Jan 24, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Does ppl still get excited over "Type R"s??
I was never too excited about that car... probably
great handling for a FWD (but so is a 21k Mini S with
better equipments)... but the civic beating acceleration is
not....

then again.. maybe for young kids in the low 20's... I'm getting
old..
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:05 AM

I don't think the Evo will be any more rare (production-wise) than 2nd Gen Eclipse GSX's. They'll hold they're value better though, because of the anticipation of them over here and their history in the WRC and all around the world. The international auto press loves the Evo. Because the Eclipse was only sold in North America there's not a whole lot of critical acclaim for it.

I DO think that the Evo will have a hard-core following over here though. I just hope they keep the #'s limited. There are something like 20,000 WRX's sold per year now or somewhere close to that. They just don't have the same "mojo" they had when they first came out. I'm sure wants to sell at least 10-15K Evo's per year though(eventually), or else they wouldn't have bothered importing them... remember, they want this to be their "halo car". So much for any type of "exclusivity" of having an Evo. Who really cares about that anyway - I'll just be happy to have mine.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In general Mitsubishi's haven't really had great resale value across their line up, especially when compared with Honda or Toyota.

They're probably comparable to GM's resale values, excluding the Corvette.

But what I've heard about the Evo's are that they tend to hold their values pretty well, until a new model comes out then they tend to depreciate at about the same pace as other Mitsubishi models.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GPTourer

Spoken like a true Honda fanatic Actually, the Camry is the best selling car in America right now with just over 400K units. The Accord sells in the high 300K's. At any rate, S2000's and NSX's do command a strong book, but a patient buyer can still have his choice of cars and be able to work a deal in his or her favor, plus if push comes to shove they can just go get a new one. It's if they stop making them when/if the prices will soar if demand remands high. Witness what MKIV Supras, Rx-7's and the like bring. Forget what the books say, if you want a clean example you have to come off the hip pretty strong.
well technically there are more accords "sold" in america. a lot of the camry's "sales" are due to the camrys that rental companies buy. accords have no such relationship with those companies.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by fishsauce

well technically there are more accords "sold" in america. a lot of the camry's "sales" are due to the camrys that rental companies buy. accords have no such relationship with those companies.
True, however sales are sales, and there are most certainly not 500,000 Accords sold in America like the original poster stated which was my original point. But you are right - it would be a better comparison to remove fleet sales from Toyota's figures.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 vs. Type R