Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

$$$ Talks...evo8 Deposits, And Age

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2003, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You makin more than I did at 21, live the dream

Cordwood, if you're so concerned about what other people think of you as you get into your car, or drive it around, by all means buy the biggest, and best luxury whatever suits you...
Audi doesnt necessarily need a big wing, or hood vents on it's s4, but it was designed to not need it.. The evo was build aout of a much slower car, and while it could have been redesigned to not need the wing, or 4 doors, or a backseat, or anything else that reminds us it wasnt meant as a sports car when lancer was designed.. but it wasnt, the lancer look was retained for heritage, or platmorm sharing, or who knows... The big wing is part of the evo's style and personality, as are the hood vents and such.. you're free to not like them or take them off, just as a ricerboy is free to not like his plain looking civic and install a pickic bench on his trunk as a wing...

I think we've discovered the opposite of rice.. someone who doesnt like actual functional features b/c the make the car look too fast and showy... I think we should call this phenomenon beans... or something... whats the opposite of rice??
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Cordwood is the Anti-rice.... huhu

SC
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

He'd better get hubcaps to hide the alloy wheels and Brembo brakes. Rip out the Recaros and get a nice wide bench seat to help maintain the sleeper look too. We don't need the Momo steering wheel either.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

How many people think the Cobra R is rice? It has a huge rear wing also...but it's functional as well. Big wings just have a bad image here in the US because of the people that generally have them on their cars. Maybe that image will change a little once people realize what the Evo and Sti are all about. Magazine reviews may change things.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by poknatcha
Also, people need to remember the cost of living can vary drastically depending on where you live. The cost of living in Nebraska is very cheap compared to the east or west coast.

I make 38k a year and I will easily be able to afford this car.

I take home 2200 a month after taxes. Here are my expenses, btw, I am 25, signle, and living alone...

Rent: 485 (cable tv is included)
Food: 300 (might be too high)
Tele: 30
Gas: 30
Electric: 30
Cable modem serv: 45
Cell: 10
Fuel (car): 70 (w/ current car & evo) est.
Insurance: 22 (for current car)
Evo Insurance: 100 (est)
Evo payment: 500 (after 5k down and 5.25% for 60 months)

Take all that out and that leaves me w/ 578 for whatever. My current car is a 89 Mustang which is already paid for.
$10 a month for cell phone? $22/mo for insurance???? Who's your agent and can I have his number?!!!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

I am 33 years old. It seems the guys in their 30's are more worried about image than the younger guys. I don't give a crap what my neighbors think. When I am driving I think about driving. If you buy your car based on looks because you want your neighbors to think a certain way about you you are sad my freind. The evo is not made for you. You just don't get it. Go buy a cadillac!!!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

That's ok Cordwood if you are really that concerned about your image being associated with a younger crowd, then the EVO is definitely not for you. I say get a Z4 or a 300 series and you will be with the right crowd and image you are looking for.

Also SAAB have, on various models over the years, used both spoilers and hood vents on their Turbo cars. The new audi S4 is a NA V8 which is a different kind of beast. I don't recall making broad statements that ALL turbo cars must have spoilers and hood vents to function.

I have 2 simple points on the hood vent and spoiler...
1. They are functional.
2. They are trademark features of the EVO line.

I really mean it when I say to each their own. Sounds like the EVO is not what you are looking for.

PS: I had a conversation almost exactly like this on the edmunds.com forum with a guy that reminded me of you cordwood. He was in his 40's and had the exact same issues with the EVO, and he made a comment about his 18" biceps. That guy's handle was corkfish. You're not the same person are you?

Last edited by ScoobyBoost; Jan 24, 2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by jrock420
that was the same guy who said that dealer would get 15 cars in the first shipment also
yep, thats me, it was a misunderstanding....sorry
Old Jan 24, 2003, 06:44 PM

just to clear things up, yes, i still live with my parents and plan to until i get my degree. that is how i will be able to afford a $30k car with $21k/year. i'll have $125 per week to spend on anything i want(gas and food included).

i'm not offended by anyone who said that its impossible for me to get an evo making only 21k/year. it just motivates me and when i finally get it, i will post up pics of it with me in it in my driveway within 24 hours after it comes off the lot. remember my name...PKIM703.....i will be the living proof that someone making 21k/year can afford a $30k car.

and about living at home with my parents, i have the whole basement to myself and my parents never come down. the walls and floors of my house are THICK so its basically sound proof. i also have a nice quiet bed. the only problem is keeping my extremely vocal girlfriend to quiet down.

i used to live with only $80/week to spend and it was not bad. i worked basically mon-fri and had only free time on sat and sun so it wasnt all that bad. my bottom line is that it CAN be done. ofcourse my girlfriend works too, and helps me out whenever i'm in need. we've been together for 3 3/4 years by the way

5 years (life of the car loan) is a really long time, i know. but after 2 semesters at my school, i will have a couple certifications...possibly MCSE 2000.....and will make even more money then.....my parents dont want me to move out untill i am married (hey, they're asian. if you're asian too, you know how they are)

anyways, thanks for taking 3 hours of your time to read this. good day!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
certs dont mean nothing. they might get you an interview and thats it.

IT is a very hard field to get into right now.... the best luck would be finding an IT job in - Marketing or Medicare. Both those are booming right now, and remember, every business needs an IT dept.

I've been stuck in the damn help desk for 2 years! I cant find a good systems or dba position WITH an MCSE
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by boostedwrx
certs dont mean nothing. they might get you an interview and thats it.

IT is a very hard field to get into right now.... the best luck would be finding an IT job in - Marketing or Medicare. Both those are booming right now, and remember, every business needs an IT dept.

I've been stuck in the damn help desk for 2 years! I cant find a good systems or dba position WITH an MCSE
holy ****. i guess i'll just make 21k until i grad. kinda sux but wut can i do.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

$10 a month for cell phone? $22/mo for insurance???? Who's your agent and can I have his number?!!!
I only have liability coverage on my mustang. I currently pay 45 a month for it but I turn 25 in 2 weeks, and my insurance will drop by half. As for the cell phone, I get a discount through work and don't use very many minutes....
Old Jan 24, 2003, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

26 years of age w/the larger spoiler, and don't really car what anybody tinks. I make about 50K a year in Georgia currently, but
when I move back home to Cali, it will be much more and cost of
living counteracts the raise in income. What ever makes you happy. For anyone that can afford it's up to you and finance skills.

As for living at home there is nothing wrong with that Imo. As long as your in school or doing something constructive. In many
cultures people don't leave home till they are married or totally finished with school.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 08:24 PM

Well I am 25, live in the midwest, and make ~$38k per year. The main reason I can afford this car, is because I have been saving up specifically for it for over a year. I moved back in with the parents, and am leeching off of their kindness (no rent, free meals, sold my car and drive one of their old payed-off cars.) Having no wife and no kids helps a lot too. This method isn't for everyone, and it definately has put a dent in the ol' social life. However, I am now in a position to 100% buy the car outright, and not worry about payments, financing, etc. Although, I'll probably need to move out once all the racer-groupie chicks see my hot new EVO
Old Jan 24, 2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Cordwood
Most people don't know and don't care if hood scoops and spoilers are functional, all they'll see is a grown man getting into a car that resembles a ricer. I mean, what am I going to do? Every time I get out of my car I'll have to say to people, " Oh, it's ok, the vents and spoilers are functional". I better write Audi, Saab, and all the other manufacturers to tell them that they better put vents in the hood of their turbo charged cars. I'm also going to inform Audi that they need a large wing on the trunk of their new 350 horsepower S4. ALL manufacturers make racing cars, does that mean they have to bring those features to street vehicles? For people in their 20's spending everything they've got for this car, think about how much savings you're forgoing. I drove junkers all my life so by the time I hit 40 I could almost retire. I don't regret not buying a Mustang, M3, or whatever at all. I know people in their 40's who spent and spent when they were young. Now, they're still living paycheck to paycheck!
WORD FOR WORDS MY IDEA,,, JUST WHAT I WAS THINKING. That is why my evo will have no wing and in a good color that will blend in nice. If i get one with the big wing i will prob. have it for a while then have it removed and sell it, or keep it and put it up on my wall as art!

My whole thinking behind this car is 27o hp, 270 tq., and all wheel drive for $30. An s4 has 250hp/250tq. for $45k?
I plan on debadging the back except the logo, tint the windows and have a real fun car for the money, plus i get xenon lamps and a sunroof. And not look like, well a teenager. Not that there is anything wrong with that , but they will really only know when they reach late 20's -early 30's.

I think this car will work out just fine.

Quick Reply: $$$ Talks...evo8 Deposits, And Age