Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo RS to be or not to be..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo RS to be or not to be..

Hi, I've been a long time reader, but I'm just now posting. I've been a fan of the EVO for awhile, actually all DSMs.

I know this has been done before, but

I really like the '05 RS model, because of lightness and price. However I love HID's and power everything.

How many RS owners out there hate haveing no power windows, locks? What about HID's?

I also happen to like the stocker wing on the Evo V/// how many RS owners wish they had that as well?

I'm just wondering is it's worth it to buy the RS, if I'm going to put a radio and speaker and such in it, and wanting stock equipment off the V/// anyway? Or just save the extra and buy the V///? I know many want the new Evo IX but I'm partial to the V///

Thanks,
Knyght
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I not sure, but I don't think regular 05's come with HID's!?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
I not sure, but I don't think regular 05's come with HID's!?
true, unless you get the SSL package, then you get HID
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Knyght
How many RS owners out there hate haveing no power windows, locks? What about HID's?

I also happen to like the stocker wing on the Evo V/// how many RS owners wish they had that as well?

I'm just wondering is it's worth it to buy the RS, if I'm going to put a radio and speaker and such in it, and wanting stock equipment off the V/// anyway? Or just save the extra and buy the V///? I know many want the new Evo IX but I'm partial to the V///

Thanks,
Knyght
I don't miss the power stuff or radio and I came from a GS-T. I didn't get the car to tote around passengers, so I'm perfectly comfortable. HIDS...? Stock headlights work fine. Wing...? I don't drive 120mph, track it, or want the attention.
An RS is so worth it. Lower price + mods = jealous MR owning friend.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

If you like power everything AND the wing the just get the GSR. Seriously i got the RS because i hate all the little things that get in the way of having fun while driving. It is those same things like power windows and locks and crap that usually break down the road. Yeah, you should get the GSR.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

If you're interested in a evo that's great, but do you go fast? if you go to the track and plan and going 100+ then you might want the wing for downforce. Also this is a little off topic but evos are not dsms.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I had an 03 GSR and switched to an 04 RS. No regrets. I liked the sunroof and power stuff on the GSR, but I like the light, nimble driving feel and down to business appearance of the RS even more. Off-boost performance and steering feel is noticeably better in an RS because of the weight difference.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

You sound like a GSR man to me. RS is stripped and meant to be tracked.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

I got my RS cause of the price, and the lack of things I didnt want like the wing, sunroof, CD player and such. Also, it was a big plus that at the time, the 04RS was the only evo sporting a front LSD. I dont mind having to roll up my own windows or using a key to open the lock, dont miss the ABS or any other options either. Its all worth it for the few extra tenths quicker on the 0-60 when you autocross
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your wondering bet the two, then you'll prob wanta GSR version.

little things missing in RS will get to ya, like pwr locks, windows...

My RS fits the bill for me but had to install aftermrket pwr locks myself and in the process my interior is all stripped!

I was in 04 GSR w/ leather package and could not believe how much QUIETER it was compared to my RS ride! Kinda like mom's Accord vs. race track machine.

But lucky me, I'm too from DSM - modded world so noise is not a big factor...

Oh I now have aftermrket HID and works ok and now I'm modding exterior like vortex generator and GSR highwing for my RS...

but that just me, may or may not follow thru w/ the wing...

Overall, I think RS is for DIY types who want clean canvas to do their customization...
Old Mar 17, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High Voltage
If you're interested in a evo that's great, but do you go fast? if you go to the track and plan and going 100+ then you might want the wing for downforce. Also this is a little off topic but evos are not dsms.
Correct, they arn't DSM's but are pretty darn close. My TSi sees 120+. But it only has the stock ducktail type spoiler, no real unstable handling at those speeds though .

Let me revise...

I dont mind rattles and loud noises, (I have a highly modded DSM nuff said)

I plan on light mods, maybe into the 12's and street it, the DSM is my track car. I just want something to surprise most of the wanna be hi-pow street cars, and still drive to work in it.

I could do without HIDs, havent had any cars with them yet anyway. The roll up windows only suck I guess when your stuck without A/C (My TSi has no A/C and roll up windows). Since I live in FL.

The radio/speakers I would have to have... The wing is take it or leave it, maybe if a sweet wing came out thats not as simple at the base lancer, and not as big as the GSR.

I like to customize, and I dont want to pay high prices either. I actually like the white RS with the black accents (mirrors, door handles, etc), and I hate sun-roofs (Leaks in my TSi).

How bad is the rattling/noise? Say if I were to drive my mom somewhere, would she complain? lol You know moms are.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Id like to trade my 03 evo in for a 06 rs IX rs. I would pick up a couple hundred dollars in dynomat and try to quiet it down in some areas.. but the locks and everything else i could do without. I really cant wait for the IX to come around.. i may have to trade!
Old May 10, 2005, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

For about the same you can get the GSR. The RS is a joke & waste of $
Old May 10, 2005, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Get the RS. Much faster and better looking.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Thx guys, I bought the RS a little over a month ago. Been loving it. I got it for invoice. They wanted 2 grand more for the GSR in the showroom. In my opinion I made the right decision with the RS. No complaints

Quick Reply: Evo RS to be or not to be..