Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Someone Messed up my BBS RIMS!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2005, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe how some on can think that this was caused by vandalism with a crowbar and not by impact with a pothole or other object (curb, parking barrier, etc.)

Do you know how much force you would need to exert to cause that kind of dent?

Even with a crowbar, you couldn't possibly cause a smooth dent over such a wide surface area. It would be jagged, rough, and scratched. Besides, why would someone go to the trouble? To get your tire off the wheel? (I know there are stupid criminals, but really...) If they really had a crowbar and wanted to vandalize your car, there are many better options.

Now, if you're talking about a moving vehicle impacting a pothole, that's entirely likely. Think about the force transmitted to the wheel/tire by the pothole. With a forward moving car, a pothole acts as a stationary object. The car's tire/wheel have to absorb the impact of a stationary object almost directly counter to the direction of travel. I've recently bent a rim and it looks similar, albeit on the inside of the wheel and not on the outside.

Bottom line...Potholes suck. You happened to hit one. Replace/refinish the rim. Check the tires. You may not be able to hold air in the tire if it's too bent.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Yep, someone did indeed mess up your BBS wheel. They were driving your car when they did it.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

seems to me probably a pothole hole, i dont think even a moron would try taking your rims off that way. but just in case i would keep a close watch on the car if it was me.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

With that kind of damage to the rim, I can't believe the tire didn't blow if it was a full-on pothole impact; it looks more like a bad case of curbing i.e a tangential impact where the edge of the rim takes most of the force.....if you don't remember doing it, then I'd start thinking seriously about who had possession of your car recently ?????
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cajun Power
That is definatly not crowbar damage!!! !! ! ! ! ! !! ! !

Look at the material pattern in the bend. It is way too textured to be a metal. It is stone material. Probably concrete! Looks by the way it marked the sidewall that it is a serious curb check. If the inside of the rims is all good than I would say big time curbage. Pothole would most likly damage the inside bead too.

Just my $.02
Agreed. If someone wanted to F*(& with your car, why would they put a little dent in your wheel and nothing else? Makes no sense. Not vandalism.

As far as potholes go, you would have to hit one on the side of the rim. The metal isnt just bent from an impact on the contact surface of the tire...there was actually abrasive contact to the rim and the side of the tire.

If i saw this one someones car, id say it was curbed, no doubt. I saw something EXACTLY like this on my friends subaru...turns out he came into a parking space a little too fast and contacted the little concrete barrier. The tire was scratched and so was the rim in the same place.

Maybe someone drove your car? That would be my guess. If this happened while you were driving you would have known/felt it IMMEDIATELY, and stopped ASAP to see the dammage. Not saying your a lier, but recall carefully who has been driving your car, or could have driven your car.

Edit: BTW, depending upon how big that gash is, I would be more worried about the tire than the rim. Definitely dont do any 140 mph romps without getting a new tire.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Mar 22, 2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:54 PM

i agree, thats from a pothole. no one could make a bend in the rim like that. especially to see the tire not punctured somehow

Originally Posted by boonielander
I can't believe how some on can think that this was caused by vandalism with a crowbar and not by impact with a pothole or other object (curb, parking barrier, etc.)

Do you know how much force you would need to exert to cause that kind of dent?

Even with a crowbar, you couldn't possibly cause a smooth dent over such a wide surface area. It would be jagged, rough, and scratched. Besides, why would someone go to the trouble? To get your tire off the wheel? (I know there are stupid criminals, but really...) If they really had a crowbar and wanted to vandalize your car, there are many better options.

Now, if you're talking about a moving vehicle impacting a pothole, that's entirely likely. Think about the force transmitted to the wheel/tire by the pothole. With a forward moving car, a pothole acts as a stationary object. The car's tire/wheel have to absorb the impact of a stationary object almost directly counter to the direction of travel. I've recently bent a rim and it looks similar, albeit on the inside of the wheel and not on the outside.

Bottom line...Potholes suck. You happened to hit one. Replace/refinish the rim. Check the tires. You may not be able to hold air in the tire if it's too bent.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all your inputs guys, after carefully thinking I conclude iT IS from a pothole. I remember hitting one by accidently not goin too fast but I thought it was nothing. I've owned a prelude before this and sometimes when I did hit a pothole would make a "bang" noise but nothing ever happend to my rim or tire. Now I guess my luck has changed b/c i do remember hitting it over the weeknd but i thought nothing of it because the bang was just like every other "bang" i've heard. I thought it was vandalism at first because of all the paint chips, however I have also concluded that those are from winter salt and sand. I never had powder coated rims before so i didn't know how easily the paint would chip if not taken care of. This does kinda make me hate powder coat b/c on my prelude there was no paint for it to chip. Well at least no one was trying to **** up my ****, now hopefully I can get the rim fixed and get it back to normal again.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

look at the mark on the tire directly above the bend, definately someone was attemptin to pry it off OR someone hit it sith something
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

or maybe a pothole like EVO MR FU concluded....either way, that BLOWS man, time to buy a new set (or one wheel if your not a perfectionist) for cheap off another evo m owner
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

probably hit a big pothole and did'nt feel it.are someone was tryin to hate on u.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I got the dent fixed at this local tire/rim shop, cost me 35 bucks, they did a ****ty job.

This guy used a torch to heat up the dent and took a wrench and bent it back, then he sanded it with something. I don't know if it looked worse before or now. Its round now but the paint is worse than before and that part of the rim is no longer like the rest. Is this the best "Fix" i can get, other shops offerred to use a hammer, this guy used a Torch/Wrench. Now I gotta find a paint shop to repaint my rims too, the part he bent back is a little "thinner" than the rest if u know what i mean.

Mitsubishi is charing $849 dollars fOR ONE BBS RIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!

so now I got the dent fixed but a half *** job, after i paint it still gonna be a painted half *** rim. Dont know what I should do.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

You can get rims professionally refurbished so they look as good as new. Many dealers use this service. It's not cheap, but it will certainly be cheaper than buying a new wheel from Mitsu. Ask your local Mitsu dealer (or stop by a BMW/Mercedes/Porsche dealer and ask them where they get their's done).
Old Mar 23, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, this keeps getting worse. Sorry to hear about this. You could always make things right with the repair shop by taking your own large wrench and beating this clown over the head with it!
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

LOOK ON EVOM!
buy a single rim off a totalled MR or offa owner that got aftermarket rims,. OR if i were you i would buy a set of four from a MR owner (since you said all are chipped)
Old May 30, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

quite obviously curbed/potholed it. Tire has sidewall damage from nearly having a pinch flat & I wouldn't drive on it anymore. If any of the paint chips on the other wheels are around the lip it's from the dumbass monkeys that mount tires & swear their machine "never touches the rim".