Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how much whp?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much whp?

How much whp would you think i have with these mods?
-k&n intake
-3in downpipe
-2.75 cat back exhaust
-hyper grounding kit
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

My guess would be around 260WHP on a dyno jet.

Remember when or if you dyno your EVO use the dyno numbers as a baseline, because so many dynos read different. So please don't come back one day asking why your car dynoed so low on a dyno dynamics for example, when those dynos have a history of reading low. Compare your car to what other EVOs have dynoed on the same dyno. So if you dyno at 230WHP on low reading dyno, and your friend dynos at 270WHP on a high reading dyno jet and you guys have the same mods, then don't be like what is wrong with my EVO, when there is nothing wrong with your EVO. Now if he dynoed 40 WHP higher than you on the same dyno, then you might have some problems. Sorry just tired of people complaining about there dyno numbers on a low reading dyno.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyberninja
-k&n intake
-3in downpipe
-2.75 cat back exhaust
-hyper grounding kit
The exhaust is probably worth around 20 whp. The rest are probably not worth much if any for WHP increase. A typical '03-'04 EVO will put down 216 whp on a DD dyno. With exhaust, maybe 245...... Have you had your car dynoed before the mods?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

15-25. Dont expect the 25 but expect below 20.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

no not yet. i don't usually have the time. i barely have enough time to install the parts i have here at the house.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

i have 264i/272e hks camshafts(no gears) in the attic and a walbro 255 fuel pump. I also have a s-afc2 but i haven't bought the harness yet. If i installed these how much would i be looking at?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Heh, I don't understand how what some people base these threads on... whatever #'s people guess and assume you'd dyno at should have absolutely no relevence to anything. It's like doing a chemistry experiment and just asking your lab partner how many grams of solution will be formed without doing the experiment itself. Your best bet is to go to a dyno day at your local performance shop w/ an awd dyno and pay the $30 or $40 and get a few pulls in. It seems all too common for people to ask these horsepower estimate questions on the internet, then turn around and tell their friends whatever the ppl said.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

-k&n intake
-3in downpipe
-2.75 cat back exhaust
-hyper grounding kit
its not a good idea to go from 3'' dp to a 2.75'' cat back ///maybe 15 hp more than stock with that miss matched exhaust combo .
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9a gsr
....Your best bet is to go to a dyno day at your local performance shop w/ an awd dyno and pay the $30 or $40 and get a few pulls in. It seems all too common for people to ask these horsepower estimate questions...
There isn't many AWD dynos as 7/11s around here or else I would have gotten a dyno pull with my last Slurpee purchase. A solo pull is going to be expensive and a dyno day may be quite a drive away. So I don't see the harm in asking.

My guess is around 15-25 whp. Like matt said, I wouldn't taper a 3"DP to a 2.5" catback. I'd stay away from the K&N intake too. That grounding kit will not add any power.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

i have 264i/272e hks camshafts(no gears) in the attic and a walbro 255 fuel pump. I also have a s-afc2 but i haven't bought the harness yet. If i installed these how much would i be looking at?
The cams are good for 20 or more whp. There is no way to predict what your car will do unless you have a baseline dynopull done before you start messing with the car. Each car is different and the dynos read different as well.... The exhaust and cams could give you 40- 60 whp if you have a way to tune the car. The SAFC is good but only for adjusting part of the AFRs..... Your best bet is to take your car to a place like Dyno4mance (I know it's a long way from Goldsboro but it would be worth it..) and have them install your fuel pump, cams with cam gears, the exhaust and an XEDE. They could do a base line pull to see where you start. With those mods and a proper tune you could see around 300 whp in a DD dyno as long as your car is in good condition to start with......
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
The exhaust is probably worth around 20 whp. The rest are probably not worth much if any for WHP increase. A typical '03-'04 EVO will put down 216 whp on a DD dyno. With exhaust, maybe 245...... Have you had your car dynoed before the mods?
Agreed. I would say the exhaust will probably add 15-20 and the rest will result in minimum if any at all.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matt55
its not a good idea to go from 3'' dp to a 2.75'' cat back ///maybe 15 hp more than stock with that miss matched exhaust combo .
Yea it's always best to start wider in the back and if you have a 2.75" or 2.5" dp at least you're not creating turbulance and backpressure. I guess if you got a really good deal on the 3" dp then it might not be that bad for the cost...
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:02 AM

u need a flash to
Old Mar 22, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by matt55
I used to have a 2.75" downpipe going to a 3"cat delete & 3" exhaust and I noticed a big difference when I changed my downpipe to a 3". I also have an AEM intake, walbro 255 fuel pump, halman pro rx boost controller(20psi), and a flash.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

thx for the help. were is that dyno place that you guys mentioned far away from goldsboro. I think that i will buy a megan racing cat back exhaust system tonight with a higher flowing cat.

Quick Reply: how much whp?