Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strange clicking noise, cannot find it.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange clicking noise, cannot find it.

Hey guys. I've been trying to track down all the rattles in my car and eliminate as many as possible. There is one that I cannot figure out. Under acceleration I get a variable clicking noise coming from under the driver's side dash area. The noise varies in speed with the amount of boost (so it seems). I never hear the noise if I stay out of boost.

I cannot tell if it is something rattling because of the noise from the exhaust or not. I looked at everthing under the dash and find nothing. Then I noticed the fuse box, so I thought it might be a relay. The manual says that there are 2 relays inside the car in that fuse panel area that have to do with the fuel pump. That makes sense. The Evo has some type of voltage switching for the fuel pump (more voltage to the pump under certain boost conditions). The relay for the water sprayer is also in this panel.

Has anyone else ever heard any clicking noise from this area? Given the conditions in which it happens, I could understand it being a relay for the fuel pump. But it hasn't always made this noise. Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
sound clip?

i had a wierd rattle/ticking noise coming from around that area as well.. turned to be the steering wheel column cover... it was cracked... =(.. i'm still looking for a used one too... =(
Old Mar 22, 2005, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The noise varies in speed with the amount of boost (so it seems). I never hear the noise if I stay out of boost.
The manual says that there are 2 relays inside the car in that fuse panel area that have to do with the fuel pump. That makes sense. The Evo has some type of voltage switching for the fuel pump (more voltage to the pump under certain boost conditions).
you answered your own ques..
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

I get a similar noise (as you have described it) by my driver side AC vent. It sounds like a loose cable to me in my car. I notice this when ever vibrations are increased, which usually happens under boost. I'm getting a head unit put in in a few months and I'll be Dyna Matting my car, so we'll see if that cures it.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:31 PM

i hear the same **** on my dash. i thought that i just needed to break it in since its a brand new 05, and in due time it will soon go away. dont know what the hell it is. if anybody has this same issue and knows how to get rid of it, please share the knowledge.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

what kind of boost controller are you running?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 04:59 PM

im all stock
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

I originally thought it was a cable, too. Maybe the hood release cable rattling against something caused by the exhaust noise/vibrations (BR turbo-back with no cat). Then I realized it seemed to be based on boost, regardless of speed or RPMs. That puts the exhaust noise and vibration at all different levels. The clicking noise seems to only occur between about .2 - 1.0 bar (I'm guessing). Boost is set at 1.4 bar.

I'm using a Greddy Profec B. I've used this in other cars and never heard this noise. I don't think the solenoids in the unit would be cycling at that low of boost anyway. I will try and turn it off to see what happens.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:07 PM

i have that boost controller and i have the exact noise...you have to finely tune the BC,....make sure the under hood solenoid is mounted with the supplied rubber bushing... but this noise is definitly the BC solenoid!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have the spec II. I have the old one.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Well, now I don't think it's the fuel relays or the boost controller. I turned the boost controller off, which serves the same function as just unplugging it. Didn't help.

I took the lower pocket out by my left knee so I could access the fuses and relays. While I was driving, I put my hand down there to feel the relays. None of them cycled any while the noise was happening. So it's not the fuel pump relays. Maybe I'll tear my dash out next.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by electric_evo276
i hear the same **** on my dash. i thought that i just needed to break it in since its a brand new 05, and in due time it will soon go away. dont know what the hell it is. if anybody has this same issue and knows how to get rid of it, please share the knowledge.
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I had a "crackling/ticking" noise that sounded like it was coming from the glove box or the A-pillar on the passenger side. Took it back to the dealer, and he replaced the drip rail moldings, and added double-sided sticky tape underneath it, and the sound seems to be gone. YMMV!

Tom
Old May 13, 2006, 03:28 AM

I have a EVO9 RS just got it and is making the same clicking sound around the dash area.. and here is what someone posted in my thread, hopefully we all come to a solution on what problem it may be.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=200845
Old May 13, 2006, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

I hear clicking behind my glovebox, I have the glovebox off all the time now, and it is louder, but NORMAL!! It is relays, switches, etc... doing what they do. Just turn the radio up, you'll be fine!!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'm a tard wrong thread.

Quick Reply: Strange clicking noise, cannot find it.