Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any Way To Get Jdm Dash/hvac So We Can Have Double Din Radio?? Pics Inside....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any Way To Get Jdm Dash/hvac So We Can Have Double Din Radio?? Pics Inside....

I have the alpin 7" flip out screen now but i'd like the Kenwood double din tv deck. Obviously we have the single din dash here. In europe or japan, or both, they have a double din hole with the HVAC located where our cubby hole is. Anyone know if we can convert to that???

EURO DASH:

STANDARD USDM EVO8 DASH

Old Mar 23, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think those controls will work with the USDM Evo. The only way I could see this working is if you were to make a custom housing for the HVAC controls where the lower cubby hole is. Although, I'm not entirely sure that the cables will be able to be routed there.

-Paul
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

why couldnt I just buy the entire assembly, the hvac controls, the thing that houses the, etc
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

It's doable but it would take A LOT of modification to make it work. IMHO, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

The evo IXs are comming out with the euro dash for the us market you could just wait tell they come out and then order the dash from ur dealer
Old Mar 23, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

=
Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
why couldnt I just buy the entire assembly, the hvac controls, the thing that houses the, etc
I believe those HVAC controls are for climate control systems. Meaning that instead of using cables they are electronic controls. I may be mistaken on this, as I do not know this first hand but rather remember reading it on the Forums.

-Paul
Old Mar 23, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

seems to me any custom stereo shop should be able to relocate the hvac controls down there and order a new jdm dash cover. They relocate a/c controls all the time on those old GMs with the funny sized radios. Like my shop told me one time, "you can make anything work if you throw enough money at it." :|
Old Mar 23, 2005, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
those are the automatic climate control on the bottom of jdm double dins.

you need to have a different module in order for those bad boys to work with your car.

it's doable, and it's been done with few hondas way back with jdm climate control, but it's a hard work and not for novice.

anyway, if you must, here's what you could do.

You could go get yourself a mitsu outlander climate control and swap it out with the evo ones.

then order or make your own double din cubby, console. or order it from japan or australia.

that's the only way to go about it.

or that evo 9 thing.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Dude-there is a lot more that will need to be done to make it work. I believe the JDM unit controls vacuum actuators that aren't on the USDM cars that would need to be installed as well.

If you dig into it, you'll probably find that the only things in common between the USDM and JDM a/c are the compressor, condensor, and vent work. Wiring, controls (system, not just dash controls) sensors and vacuum scheme will all be different.

In short, the JDM electronic dash controls are controlling many different components that you don't have on your car.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 02:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's not really getting the jdm ones. he just wants those double din so he could stick things in it.

just have to change out the climate control unit and relocate them.

I'm actually going to do this, but with the stock unit.

I'll buy a cf panel and change all the buttons into push buttons, not knobs under that little cubby.

then I'll put gauges in the stock climate holes and expand it somehow to accomodate safc looking up.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 05:36 AM
Former Sponsor

yea i'm def not changin modules and stuff like that. Maybe in the future I'll just relocate the stock HVAC to the cubby hole and get a double din radio
Old Mar 24, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
yea i'm def not changin modules and stuff like that. Maybe in the future I'll just relocate the stock HVAC to the cubby hole and get a double din radio
I think that would probably be the easiest way to do it.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a shop by me called First Class Auto in Taylor, MI that does all that kind of work. They told me they could do what you see in that first picture for around 150 to 200 dollars. They said first they take apart the knobs and make new housing for it, then route the cables to the lower cubby hole and connect them all up again. I've seen them re-route a 97 Eclipse's HVAC and put it on the ceiling of the car in order to fit a computer monitor in the dash.