Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MR Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR Advice

Anyone have a separate car for work and play? I just have my MR but am wondering how it works out for those of you who only use yours for play. I'm not sure whether to invest in something else or just keep enjoying what I've got. I drive a windy road to work and it's heaven in the MR.

On a different note, Anyone here have kids? I've got twin boys who will graduate from high school this June. Like me, they are automotive enthusiasts. I am thinking of buying them Evos as they go off to college. I have an MR and am not totally convinced the MR is for them, but perhaps another model...or perhaps even another car altogether. I'm a little nervous about buying them something like an MR, but they love mine. My ex-wife probably wouldn't go for it very well either. I just thought I'd ask some experts.

TM
Old Mar 24, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

get them civics
or.. .can you be my dad?
if they are automative enthusiasts... prolly you should buy RS. Ask them what are they really into. Highschool graduates i wouldn't recoommend such an expensive car for them.. coz... insurance is high for young people for a reason ^_^
Old Mar 24, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

I bought an MR back in october. I only use it every once in awhile. Ive only got 2200 miles. People always ask me why I dont drive it if I have it. I have enjoyed every minute that Ive had the car and it really is great. But going from my everyday car IS300 to the MR. It makes me appreciate the power of the car so much more and enjoy it so much more. But truth is that the MR isnt exactly the most comfortable car and it is fun to play with that is why I only mod it and play with it. I would never use it for a daily driver.

As for your kids. If you are gonna get them an EVO I would say go ahead and let them have the MR and drive it when you want the urge to get a lil thrill. But in all honesty if they have it they are gonna USE it. As a parent I understand you wanna give your kids what they want but you dont wanna constantly have to worry bout them either.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used my evo as a daily for about 3 months or so. Now im only putting about 125 miles a week on it or so. Mostly a nighttime-weekend car as opposed to a daily driver. Anytime I have to go on the highway for a decent amount of time or to work, im in the sebring. Mostly becasue on average I only get about 5 hours of sleep a night...so there are times when i just kinda want to sit in a comfy car, throw it in drive, hit the cruise control, and go. The evo requires 100% of my attenion 100% of the time, and honestly, sometimes im just not in the mood.

As far as having an evo in college...I just graduated a year ago, and I can tell you from experience...the kids I knew who had fast cars did stuff that could have gotten them seriously hurt. Personally, I think the evo will be a little too much temptation and capability. You sound like you trust your kids, and you should. But I dont know if id trust a bunch of newly made college frinds foaming at the mouth for an "innocent ride". I think a wrx might be a better, and cheaper choice.

Check into getting them used boxters or a 350z or something. Trust me, girls will love them. They can thank me later.

Edit: I will prolly keep the evo as a nighttime-fun car from now on. Highway miles on the evo is a tragic waste of vehicle lifetime. Maybe I will mod it, maybe I wont. I thought of getting a project car....but I think the evo makes a pretty darn good choice. Pricey, but good. You sound like a gentleman who can afford another toy. Might want to look into getting a nice car to cruise around in like a 300C, and then just have fun in the evo...or use the evo as a dd, and pick up an older car and work on it. Either way it would be cool....and better than having only the evo IMO.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Mar 24, 2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fatalbert69
I bought an MR back in october. I only use it every once in awhile. Ive only got 2200 miles. People always ask me why I dont drive it if I have it. I have enjoyed every minute that Ive had the car and it really is great. But going from my everyday car IS300 to the MR. It makes me appreciate the power of the car so much more and enjoy it so much more. But truth is that the MR isnt exactly the most comfortable car and it is fun to play with that is why I only mod it and play with it. I would never use it for a daily driver.

As for your kids. If you are gonna get them an EVO I would say go ahead and let them have the MR and drive it when you want the urge to get a lil thrill. But in all honesty if they have it they are gonna USE it. As a parent I understand you wanna give your kids what they want but you dont wanna constantly have to worry bout them either.
I too have an MR that i got in December and only have 2,500 miles on it. The only reason why I have so many miles on it, is because i drove it from Fort Lauderdale where i bought it, to Atlanta where i currently reside. I only drive it on the weekends and I look forward to every minute of being behind the wheel of my Evo.

My company car is a Nissan Altima 2.5 SL, so it's nothing like driving an Evo. It's actually quite funny, but everytime i leave town for work i think how much better it would be if i was driving the MR. I'm actually out of town right now and won't be home until Thursday the 31st. I don't know how i'll be able to get by. The car is like heroin. I need a fix very often .

As far as kids go, I don't have any that i know of so i can't give any advise.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

I wish I had the self control that some of you speak of. Only driving your evo on nights/weekends. Since I bought my evo i have truly learned the meaning of addiction. I spend to much time on the cpu looking at evo stuff, to much time washing/detailing it, to much time working on it, and to much time driving it. As far as addictions go mark my vote for evo as the most addictive. I wish I could find the self control not to drive my evo so much and to take my wife's car a little more(to save gas) but i just have such a love for this car it's unbelievable. My wife who doesn't even give a rat's *** about cars loves this car and encourages me to spend money on mods. Yes you read that last sentance right.

As far as the question of an evo for your kids. I know how much calmer and more restrained of a driver i am now from five years ago when i graduated from high school, and I still drive a little to crazy, and I'm a cop! I know your kids would love the cars but you should really think about getting them something a liitle less powerful, the wrx was a good idea that merc3 had a really nice car with good handling and power but not crazy fast like an evo.

sorry i went crazy on your thread man.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 09:10 PM

I have a 93 corolla as a daily drive. I can identify with most of the people on this thread because all I can think about during my commute is driving my subie. The bottom line is that turbo cars have terrible feul efficiency compared to small economy cars. For fun and utility, I have a moderately built WRX wagon. I'm running 305 ponies to the wheels.

Get your kids a couple WRX's. When mine was bone stock, it still was really fun to drive. It's also a sensible ride that is comfortable. As for mods, all they really need are adjustable swaybars and some good tires.

I really don't think a couple 18 year olds will fully appreciate a brand new $32k cars. I'm sure you could buy a couple used WRX's coming off a lease at a decent price. They really are sensible cars.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sixtoo
I have a 93 corolla as a daily drive. I can identify with most of the people on this thread because all I can think about during my commute is driving my subie. The bottom line is that turbo cars have terrible feul efficiency compared to small economy cars. For fun and utility, I have a moderately built WRX wagon. I'm running 305 ponies to the wheels.

Get your kids a couple WRX's. When mine was bone stock, it still was really fun to drive. It's also a sensible ride that is comfortable. As for mods, all they really need are adjustable swaybars and some good tires.

I really don't think a couple 18 year olds will fully appreciate a brand new $32k cars. I'm sure you could buy a couple used WRX's coming off a lease at a decent price. They really are sensible cars.
I agree