Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I freakin' crazy to even consider this?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:13 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathgeek
One of my weak justifications would be that in England, they pay about 50K (USD) for an Evo. So it's not like I'd be the most screwed Evo owner on the planet. See how the mind works?
That's just a stupid way of looking at it (no offense intended). You have to reason why they spend so much for an Evo and compare it to other cars. It's not like the UK pays bargain basement prices for all their cars and then the Evo is just way up there in price. You have to look at prices for other vehicles to enforce the fact that we just pay higher prices for *all* of our cars. Take, for example, the Jaguar X-type. Base model in the US is $31K and the equivalent UK model is 23,770 GBP which equates to $44,500 at current exchange rates. That's a $13,500 price difference. Now, you have to bear in mind that the UK Jag is also built there which makes the price a little cheaper. Go and compare some other vehicles available in both countries and you will see the exact same comparison where the UK pays more.

Anyway, has already been said, pay off the Eclipse first .
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mivo
IMO leasing is a waste of time and money y pay for something you will never own? just like renting an apartment, pointless.
sooo true, renting/leasing is the worst thing you can do, it is basically like pissing away money. As far as this car that you wanna get, either your a complete idiot and dont want to have a future or...............your a complete idiot. If the red flag hasnt come up on this deal then i dont know what to say.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Instant gratification comes at a price. You only lose on your Eclipse if you sell it now instead of wearng it out. As much as you drive you drive (60k since 03) the 3g pays its keep as a commuter. The Evo is not a cheap ride maintinence wise ie. tires, brakes, fuel and even the oil. You know your financial situation no one else can offer you anything realisic based on the information you provide.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Why dont u trade in your eclipse and see how much they will give you for that! even if you still owe 10 gs on it they will probly give you like 7 to 8 g's depending and put that as a down payment on the evo that will drop the monthly rate! Thats what im going to do with my jeep whne the ix comes out. so what i would do if i were you is see how much theyd give you for ur eclipse and if it drops the payments below like 600 a month i would get it. Besides even if you have to pay for it for 7 years you can still get a new car before then if you trade it in any dealership will pay off the amount you owe and if its low eough give you some money for it too. When I traded in my sis's grand am (which she owed 18 on) i got like 4 grand because the car was worth like 22 and then i took that 4 and put it as a down payment on my gto and now i only pay like 350 a month for it! so try that and see how low that brings your payments. MY 2C
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leasing isnt a bad idea if you can get a good deal and you dont care about not "owning" the car. People say its pissing away money...yeah but so is depreciation. A lot of times, the amount of money a car depreciates over 3 years is similar to the amount of money you pay on the lease...so its not that bad. Plus you dont have to worry about babying the car, since in 3 years its not your problem. You cant mod, which may or may not concern you.

Case in point, a buddy of mine is going to be leasing a brand new 30k grand cherokee for like 150 bucks a month for 3 years with like 5k down. So sometimes its a good deal and makes sense.

But if 8xx a month is the best you can do, id walk away SO ****** FAST. Evos are cool, but its JUST a car.

My advice is to pay off the eclipse like 903483 people have already said, and find a less expensive toy. Like a motorcycle or an older project car or something.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

bad idea.....don't do it.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moab3man
sooo true, renting/leasing is the worst thing you can do, it is basically like pissing away money. As far as this car that you wanna get, either your a complete idiot and dont want to have a future or...............your a complete idiot. If the red flag hasnt come up on this deal then i dont know what to say.
Hold on there, buddy. If I were 21 and living at home, I'd see your point and your pejoritive comments would have some measure of currency here. However, I'm 36, married with 4 kids, and am a tenured Math professor with an income of 90K/year. I even own my home. So the appeal to my future is not relevant. However, the financial folly of it all is relevant. It would be a fun folly, but a folly nonetheless.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Totaly understand, but why throw all that hard work away, you could save x amount of dollars a month and put it towards college for your kids or something. I am sure you worked hard to get to where you are at today, dont waste it on a car, you are only going to lose more money. My dad always tells me, "it doesnt matter what car it is, you are going to lose money on it." He is 100% correct. But it is your money and you can make your own decisions.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

have they been giving out leases for evos?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

****, i wouldnt do that... i put 21,000 dollars down on my EVO and still felt bed about the difference i still owed.. ( which is like 5000 dollars)
Old Mar 26, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

I love the evo but you'd be certifiably insane to buy an evo for near $70,000 (7*12*820). There is a large difference between affording it, and barely getting by after the car payment is made. Unless you really can afford it and just have some fetish with really long financing deals and makeing no down payment. So split that in half, drop $35,000 in the eclipse and you'll be able to beat any evo anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 03:11 PM

Leasing is only worth it if you aren't going to keep it. If you plan on keeping it and driving it until the wheels fall off then buy it, provided you can buy it at a good interest rate and pay it off quickly. I bought mine and may even trade up in a few years, but it will be paid off in a year. Even with this in mind I will lose money. With a sportscar I prefer new. If I were you I would wait until your finances are good enough to buy it at a good interest rate and payment. Otherwise you may end up having all your money tied up in interest. Let's see, pay 60k for a car that's 30k. If I tried to convince my wife of such a deal I'm sure I would be single shortly after.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

If you have Gap Insurance, just buckle up and wreck the Eclipse.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Do it! It will help ease your pain. You can always refinance it later down the road.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

dont do it, its just not worth it. i mean if i had that option i would say the hell with it. im luckily paying low for my evo so im all good, but if i were you id wait abit.

Quick Reply: Am I freakin' crazy to even consider this?