Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I freakin' crazy to even consider this?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I freakin' crazy to even consider this?

I realize that many of you have offered me constructive advice in the past, but let me get specific. I'm way upside down in my eclipse (~10K). I could get into an '05 Apex Silver with SSL and no money down for (are you sitting down?) $820/month, for 7 @#&%! years. Or I could come up with some cash up front and get the payment down to, say, 7 hundred something/month. The interest rate would be high because I'd be financing so much above MSRP (y'all know the drill). Anyway, does anyone out there love their Evo so much that they'd actually consider going to such absurd lengths to own one? Keep in mind that I can afford it. It's just that I'd end up paying, oh, between 50-55K for a 35K car, when all is said and done. My wife doesn't anything short of the whole enchilada (SSL). So, if you could afford it, would you, under these circumstances? Let me have it.

By the way, I don't want to hear any patronizing and derogatory BS about being indecisive. This damn car keeps me up at night, still. I'm practically schitzophrenic.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:01 AM

Honestly... Do not do that.. You WILL regret that in the long run
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:01 AM

Bad idea, you'll be really upside down when the Evo 9 comes out.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Well to be honest NO. I bought my MR put 8000 down. And am making 830 payments for 3 yrs. If you want it that bad go look around for financing deals. You will be surprised what you can find. final price about 40,000
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Umm, My house payment is about 850. I'd rather have a house then an EVO. Well, i'll have both soon enough....
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:04 AM

I love my EVO but wouldn't pay that much in monthly payments for it. I would just drive the Eclipse for another 6-7 months / make more payments and then get the EVO IX in the Fall. Just my 2 cents.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Financing any car for 7 years is a bad idea. If that is the only way you can get it then I would say don't. You would be paying too much interest plus trust me on this you will not want to keep the same car for seven years. In the long run you will not be happy paying seven years for a car even an Evo. Maybe used is the way to go for you but then again you'll have other things to worry about on a used Evo. Good luck and think it through.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Don't do it. Period. Don't pay more than 400-600 a month on one.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:14 AM

Not worth it. DO NOT do it.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can afford 8XX a month then you can afford to pay the negative equity on your Eclipse. I personally would not recommend buying any new Mitsu anyways. They will all cost you money to sell later on. If I didn't already have my Evo I would certainly not be in the market for one. Suck up your situation until you'rr out of it then get something. Transferring your debt will only make it bigger. In seven years on a Evo after rolling in 10K you will be 20K negative. It's inevitable.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

as tempting as the evo is... dont do it man.. like they've said.. make a few more payments on your eclipse and just wait till the 9 comes out..
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

wow i couldnt imagine i put 8 down on my evo and pay 350 a month lol and im 19
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly, that it crazy thinking.....don't do it.

Lots of things in your life could change over a 7 year period (divorce, loss of job etc. etc.) and to be tied to that kind of payment EVERY month for 7 years is mad.

At the end of 7 years, even in pristine condition it will possibly be worth 10k.

Plus, there WILL be better cars coming along in the meantime.....even if it's only a new version of the Evo.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Don't do it, start putting all of that money towards your being upside down. Get the car more squared away, and then look into trading it.

I don't pay that much for my house....I pay only 414 for my Evo.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
If you can afford 8XX a month then you can afford to pay the negative equity on your Eclipse. I personally would not recommend buying any new Mitsu anyways. They will all cost you money to sell later on. If I didn't already have my Evo I would certainly not be in the market for one. Suck up your situation until you'rr out of it then get something. Transferring your debt will only make it bigger. In seven years on a Evo after rolling in 10K you will be 20K negative. It's inevitable.
Thank you. What's crazy about this is that I'm all too aware of the mathematics involved here. I know the amortization formula by heart (how pathetic is that!), and I've spent way too much time crunching this formula with different interest rates, down payments, etc. I know it would be ruinous from a financial point of view. Knowing this, I was just curious if anyone would still do it, and throw prudence and caution to the wind. Damn, it's hard to wait! One of my weak justifications would be that in England, they pay about 50K (USD) for an Evo. So it's not like I'd be the most screwed Evo owner on the planet. See how the mind works?

Quick Reply: Am I freakin' crazy to even consider this?