Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone put in OEM HID headlamps into their RS or 05 w/o SSL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could of course just cut off the ends of the harness for the halogen headlights and convert them to the 9006 plugs for HID
Old Mar 31, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

BOOOOOO.. HID... spend money on mods.....lol
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hyper_Rev
I just ordered a shop manual from Mitsu. Im attempting to convert my 05 evo VIII from halogen to the hid headlight system. The messed up thing about this is that unless you buy the "Sun, Sound, and Leather Package" you do not get the factory hids. So I didn't want the leather or the sunroof and i like my recaros in fabric and not leather. Its not because im cheap but 3,120 is alot of money, this is how I like my car. There is a switch panel you can buy for a 05 evo that has the projector leveling switch and the foglight switch. Then the headlights for the hids and the projector leveling motors, the ballast, the hid bulbs and the wiring harness. Im sure there is still some more stuff. When the shop manual comes in I will let everyone know what is needed and to see if it is plug & play. I feel like Mitsu ripped me on the hids.

The only piece you are missing is the Engine Harness should be roughly 900 bucks or so. Good Luck!!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

been wondering about the same thing almost since I joined the board. I feel the same way that Mitsubishi cheaps out on the HIDs. The base evo is almost perfect...but why did they decide to rip the HIDs.....WHY?????????
Old Apr 1, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be glad you got a front LSD and ACD!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Be glad you got a front LSD and ACD!

yeah man.....i'd trade HIDs for the front LSD and ACD anyday.....

but sometimes I wonder why they didn't just make the Sunroof, hi watt radio, and leather the ONLY options.....oh well....still a good trade off for performance though...
Old Apr 2, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do love my OE HIDs though!
Old Apr 2, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Does Mitsu. make a Halogen projector headlamp hosing that includes integrated fogs?

If so, I'd be interested in using those on my '05.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
Does Mitsu. make a Halogen projector headlamp hosing that includes integrated fogs?

If so, I'd be interested in using those on my '05.
Mitsu does but its a JDM headlamp, we don't get it here.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

About the HID Wiring Harness

Ok, about the conversion from Halogen to HID. The wiring harness that is needed is called the "Front Wiring Harness" (LH). This has nothing to do with the engine wiring harness. No offense to anyone. There are two of them the left-hand side and the right-hand side. But you want the LH side. The LH front wiring harness has the front combination light assembly for the HIDs, fogs & highbeams for both sides. When I find more info out I will let everyone know.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:20 PM

When I took delivery of my 05 GSR I inquired about HID's. The dealer I purchased my evo from has actually done the conversion. According to the people I talked to it is not worth the money. In fact they lost thier *** on the deal. A new engine bay harness is required for correct installation, dealer only. You are much better off just getting an aftermarket kit. Just out of curiosity why do you want the factory setup so bad? A good aftermarket kit can be very cleanly installed if you take your time and pay attention to the details.
O.T. - I love my 05 GSR, but damn I wish I had fog lamps...I would rather have fog lamps than HID's honestly.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mister_pants
When I took delivery of my 05 GSR I inquired about HID's. The dealer I purchased my evo from has actually done the conversion. According to the people I talked to it is not worth the money. In fact they lost thier *** on the deal. A new engine bay harness is required for correct installation, dealer only. You are much better off just getting an aftermarket kit. Just out of curiosity why do you want the factory setup so bad? A good aftermarket kit can be very cleanly installed if you take your time and pay attention to the details.
O.T. - I love my 05 GSR, but damn I wish I had fog lamps...I would rather have fog lamps than HID's honestly.
I was just addressing other peoples concerns on the matter & my curiosity. But why do I want the factory setup, well foglights would be nice. I just want what Mitsu deprived me of to begin with. So im sure for cost issues they cut the hids for the ACD and front LSD on the 05s (no complaints here, I love my ACD & LSD). Then they include the hids in the SSL package for $3120, Ok. So anyway I have a Mitsu service manual for the 05 Evos that I got from the dealer. So what I said about the front wiring harness (LH) is pretty accurate, but then again if you talked to the dealer then I guess your right. I don't believe half of the stuff that the dealer says, everyone at the dealer has a different answer to the same question. Thats why I research myself.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

The fact about the Front Engine Harnesses is correct but you will need a new Engine Harness to connect to those new Front Engine Harnesses as well. I know this because I look at the parts of an 03 and 04 model, RS of 04, to see what it looked like with out the HIDs at the Dealership right off of their screen.

P.S. - I have 3 of the Front Engine Harnesses you are talking about. They are the headlight harnesses.

Not trying to step on toes either but I will bet money (unless the 05's are really different which I doubt) you will need the Engine Harness to do the conversion. This is per my findings and what the dealer has stated.

Much easier and cheaper to buy aftermarket ones. Sorry
Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrBump471
The fact about the Front Engine Harnesses is correct but you will need a new Engine Harness to connect to those new Front Engine Harnesses as well. I know this because I look at the parts of an 03 and 04 model, RS of 04, to see what it looked like with out the HIDs at the Dealership right off of their screen.

P.S. - I have 3 of the Front Engine Harnesses you are talking about. They are the headlight harnesses.

Not trying to step on toes either but I will bet money (unless the 05's are really different which I doubt) you will need the Engine Harness to do the conversion. This is per my findings and what the dealer has stated.

Much easier and cheaper to buy aftermarket ones. Sorry
It is much cheaper and easier to buy a aftermarket kit, but im hardheaded sometimes. Thanks for the information.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

no prob. good luck!!

Quick Reply: Has anyone put in OEM HID headlamps into their RS or 05 w/o SSL