Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone put in OEM HID headlamps into their RS or 05 w/o SSL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard the xenons that come stock are amazingly bright...especially with the projector lamp..anyways....i really think that if someone pays $30k for a car...it must come with HIDs because now a days, a $17,000 Mazda 3 comes with em, a $23k Nissan Altima comes with em...a $30k car should come with xenons..but besides the point good luck with installing HIDs, they look great.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Well the RS is supposed to be the lightest evo right? so wouldn't the HID add weight to the car becuase of the ballasts and fog light wiring? Since rally cars use light pods there wouldn't really be a need for HID's in the car. Thats just my guess on why there is no HID's on the RS.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
Well the RS is supposed to be the lightest evo right? so wouldn't the HID add weight to the car becuase of the ballasts and fog light wiring? Since rally cars use light pods there wouldn't really be a need for HID's in the car. Thats just my guess on why there is no HID's on the RS.
I would tend to agree with you but the fact that there are no hids on the 05 gsr indicates that thats most likely not the case. For an 05 no ssl I would think the only practical choice would be to go with a decent aftermarket kit.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

The GSR has power windows, locks; includes an alarm system, ABS as well as a standard 4 speaker CD player set up. The RS has none of that, + an aluminum roof. The GSR was meant for the money conscience not particularly the racer.

Last edited by timmiii; Jul 18, 2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

whatz the size of the bulbs in are headlights? i was just contacted for a phillips HID brand new
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

How much does the OEM HID ballast cost?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
How much does the OEM HID ballast cost?
$400-$450 (it's pretty close to that)
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks DrBump i dont think its to expenssive to get the OEM HIDs and fogs rigged up on a RS. Its about 2g's but then think of the long run, you'll have brighter lights and you won't need an aftermarket fog lights or an aftermarket HID kit.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 03:20 AM

sorry to bring up a dead thread, but i have been thinking about this idea too. people retrofit ALL THE TIME. splicing and soldering doesn't really scare me, but the idea of cutting into an engine harness does.

i don't really understand why splicing an engine harness is required in order to obtain oem hids. does anyone have a wiring diagram of the headlight assembly for hid and non hid?

i'd assume the ballasts would need power, neg and ground only. i could careless about the autoleveler that no one uses anyways.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

I have modded my 05 without SSL to have the headlamps from an 05 MR (who bought JDM MRs). I basicly rewired everything by splicing everything. I haven't hooked up the fogs or headlight adjustor yet because i want to find the switches. Nice part about it is when i hookup the foglights i can directly put them on the battery so i can turn them on anytime. Pics soon.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

so not talking OEM hids. if i get the aftermarket hid conversion kit with the ballast and everything all i have to do is plug and play in to the exsisting headlamp harness right? what size/kind of headlamp do we have?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 05:14 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hawaiievo
so not talking OEM hids. if i get the aftermarket hid conversion kit with the ballast and everything all i have to do is plug and play in to the exsisting headlamp harness right? what size/kind of headlamp do we have?
We have a 9006 headlight for the non-HID headlight equipped models. If you buy the 9006 HID conversion kit it should be plug and play.

I just ordered a aftermarket 9006 HID conversion kit for my 05 GSR. We'll see how that turns out. Beam pattern should be the same as the 9006 headlights but a lot brighter.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hey, I think I may be able to solve this little dilema if there is an evo near the DC area, I might be able to help...

I have already solved this problem for the EP3, with swapping headlights, and with the leveling motor. Honda uses Mitsubishi ballasts, and I believe the same leveling motor mechanism which is made by hella. I have dissected it and am going to do my install similar to what you all are attempting shortly.

Mitsu ballasts

light leveling adjustment:

leveling motor :

pinout to switch:

Before I get too far into detail, I'd like to gauge the interest if somebody would like me to give this a shot. I know what is involved in a leveling switch system, and swapping any headlights in any configuration into any car, and I don't see any reason why you would need the engine harness if you know what that is doing. i.e. yes if you wanted it to be plug and play you would need those sockets, but if you are willing to do some soldering and tapping off battery power supply etc... I don't see why it would be necessary to get any information from the engine.

I have a very good idea of what is involved and how to proceed, if anyone in the DC area wants to get together with all the parts I'd be happy to give it a shot.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Bill you know I would be all over this if I was close to you.

Somebody...please talk to this man he knows his stuff.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Bill is the man! I had a set of retro'd lights from him with his custom wire harness on my si and they were the best set of HIDs ive had. Great guy, wish I wasnt 5 hours up the coast or id gladly let you work your magic.

Quick Reply: Has anyone put in OEM HID headlamps into their RS or 05 w/o SSL