Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone put in OEM HID headlamps into their RS or 05 w/o SSL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone put in OEM HID headlamps into their RS or 05 w/o SSL

What is involved? There is a bunch of speculation, but no clear cut answers. I know I'll need the headlights, bulbs and ballasts, but will these plug right into the harness? Will I have to do any splicing or need additional harnesses?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

I guess no one?

Anyone have any idea if the harnesses or plugs are different?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would like to know more about this also
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

I know people have gotten dealerships to throw in HIDs without buying SSL, but the thing I don't get is that the HIDs have the headlight levling switch right? Is that not only on cars with SSL?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

They can not be put into an RS without completely re-wiring everything...we tried.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I actually looked into doing the conversion backwards, HIDs to reg. Needless to say thats not what happened but from my findings this is what you guys would have to do.

If done properly, you will need a new Engine harness (roughly 900 bucks from the dealer). The HID harness is attached to that, I looked at the 04's harness (RS) to see about that Engine harness too. I'm not sure what the Dealer does to convert but you would need to add the switch (probably 50 bucks or so). The wiring should all be there for it in the dash.

I could be wrong about this but this is what I found out. I would ask your local dealership how they do the conversion.

Guaranteed Findings:
Harnesses are Different
Purchasing just the ends of the harnesses is not possible (tried) both sides (engine and headlamp)
would have to buy the engine harness or the headlamp itself
Would need the switch to do the leveling piece

Sorry to burst the bubble
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

you would also need the headlamps and their harnesses too (obviously)
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Dang, to piece all the factory parts together, it'll end up adding up to the cost of the SSL package.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tke_413
They can not be put into an RS without completely re-wiring everything...we tried.
Wow, that sucks

I should've just sprung for the SSL
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

u might of as will go with xenondepot.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

i got a 5000k kit installed on my RS its sweet, i put the ballast's in the space under the headlamp where the oem one goes. it wasn't hard at all except for removing the bumper cover, which is always a pain.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

I guess the next best thing is to get an aftermarket HID kit and use it with an OEM HID headlight housing and projectors.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
I guess the next best thing is to get an aftermarket HID kit and use it with an OEM HID headlight housing and projectors.
agreed! unfortunately
Old Mar 31, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

I just ordered a shop manual from Mitsu. Im attempting to convert my 05 evo VIII from halogen to the hid headlight system. The messed up thing about this is that unless you buy the "Sun, Sound, and Leather Package" you do not get the factory hids. So I didn't want the leather or the sunroof and i like my recaros in fabric and not leather. Its not because im cheap but 3,120 is alot of money, this is how I like my car. There is a switch panel you can buy for a 05 evo that has the projector leveling switch and the foglight switch. Then the headlights for the hids and the projector leveling motors, the ballast, the hid bulbs and the wiring harness. Im sure there is still some more stuff. When the shop manual comes in I will let everyone know what is needed and to see if it is plug & play. I feel like Mitsu ripped me on the hids.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hyper_Rev
I just ordered a shop manual from Mitsu. Im attempting to convert my 05 evo VIII from halogen to the hid headlight system. The messed up thing about this is that unless you buy the "Sun, Sound, and Leather Package" you do not get the factory hids. So I didn't want the leather or the sunroof and i like my recaros in fabric and not leather. Its not because im cheap but 3,120 is alot of money, this is how I like my car. There is a switch panel you can buy for a 05 evo that has the projector leveling switch and the foglight switch. Then the headlights for the hids and the projector leveling motors, the ballast, the hid bulbs and the wiring harness. Im sure there is still some more stuff. When the shop manual comes in I will let everyone know what is needed and to see if it is plug & play. I feel like Mitsu ripped me on the hids.
precisely my feelings, but if you read above, the people who've tried say it is not plug and play.

Quick Reply: Has anyone put in OEM HID headlamps into their RS or 05 w/o SSL