Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To anyone who has Autometer boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To anyone who has Autometer boost gauge

A quick search turned up no useful info.

I am wanting to know if anybody used normal rubber/silicon vacuum line to run to it rather than that crappy plastic line and if so how do I connect it to the boost gauge itself?
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had an autometer boost gauge I used both. The plastic vacuum line was inside the car and rubber vacuum line under the hood. I went through the firewall in the spot behind the glove box. Just before the line passed through is where I switched to the rubber vacuum line. I used several zip ties at the joint to make sure it was secure. I can't remember exactly how I attached the vacuum line to the gauge, but I recall using a short piece of rubber hose, electrical tape and zip ties. It was pretty ghetto, but it worked.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

I used vacuum hose for everything, the plastic line was worthless to me.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure you have to use the plastic hose at least into the gauge. Anywhere outside of that you could switch to a silicone hose and just zip tie it to the plastic hose
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:34 AM

I ran the plastic tube through the fire wall the used rubber/silicon vacuum line under the hood. I will take a look in a few minutes to see how I have them connected.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:36 AM

I have one and I used rubber under the hood and the plastic inside...hook the plastic up normally and go to pepboys and buy a small rubber adapter for the plastic stuff and a coupling adapter that fits the rubber line under the hood...don't spare the electrical tape on the intersects of all of the couplers...I also used alittle super glue...but thats me!! DJ
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria
I'm pretty sure you have to use the plastic hose at least into the gauge. Anywhere outside of that you could switch to a silicone hose and just zip tie it to the plastic hose
You don't need the plastic line at all, you just need access to different fittings and vacuum line works great.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I want to know this as well, because I don't trust that plastic line. Lemme know exactly what I need!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

I just did a 42draft gauge install and the VDO boost gauge came with that same plastic tube. I covered it with the woven PET stuff that looks like braided only its in colors. Then I used convoluted tube, just like the factory, to hide it all.Some people cover this tube with vacuum tubing. Just cover it with something or you may have a big vacuum leak someday.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LEVIII
A quick search turned up no useful info.

I am wanting to know if anybody used normal rubber/silicon vacuum line to run to it rather than that crappy plastic line and if so how do I connect it to the boost gauge itself?
I use regular vacuum hose on my Sport Comp gauge to avoid using the plastic line. Go to Home Depot or any hardware store with brass barbed hose fittings. Take your gauge with you to make sure it fits. You may have to hack saw a little off if it's too long. It looks like this;
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/i...l-modified.jpg
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

What you need to use good vacuum line is a hose barb. See the attached picture. Any good hardware store will have these. I don't recall the exact dimensions but it is something like 1/8" FIP to 1/4" barb. Screw the fitting directly to the back of the guage and hose clamp on your vacuum line, done.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Vaccuum Line > Plastic Hose. All it takes is a kink here and there and the gauge is no longer accurate. Go with vaccuum hose.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Darkstar1
What you need to use good vacuum line is a hose barb. See the attached picture. Any good hardware store will have these. I don't recall the exact dimensions but it is something like 1/8" FIP to 1/4" barb. Screw the fitting directly to the back of the guage and hose clamp on your vacuum line, done.
Yes, That is exactly what I need. Im gonna go look for one right now.

Home depot here I come.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by naucrx
When I had an autometer boost gauge I used both. The plastic vacuum line was inside the car and rubber vacuum line under the hood. I went through the firewall in the spot behind the glove box. Just before the line passed through is where I switched to the rubber vacuum line. I used several zip ties at the joint to make sure it was secure. I can't remember exactly how I attached the vacuum line to the gauge, but I recall using a short piece of rubber hose, electrical tape and zip ties. It was pretty ghetto, but it worked.
Same thing here Also used heat shrink tubing.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

What size is the vacuum gauge though? Forgive me, I'm ignorant.

Quick Reply: To anyone who has Autometer boost gauge