Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Injen Intake OR Stock Air Box With K&N drop in?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen Intake OR Stock Air Box With K&N drop in?

Wondering what yields more gains. Looks like all the dynos ive seen the intake makes your tq drop some. Ive heard you dont benefit from an aftermarket intake untill u get into heavy mods such as cams. Please post your oppinion

Last edited by BoostWhore; Apr 3, 2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

you wont feel a gain on intake unless tuned... but it does give you the nice "whooooooosh" sound over stock box
Old Apr 3, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

not exactly, the injen will give u more gains in terms of horsepower, and i belive u loose around 3 tourque....... and true, any aftermarket intake wont matter hugly until u get it tuned to run open element....

i have the injen intake, and i LOVE IT.... i noticed a decent increase in power even without the tune, and no idle issues or anything at all.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

I actually have the intake on my car now, and had it flashed. It made a big difference with it flashed but. I was told a couple guys put there stock air boxes back on and were getting better driveabililty out of it and took about 1/10 off there 1/4 times. Whats the hp difference between stock airbox with drop in and the injen ?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

This is the age-old debate on this board. I'm sure searching will yield great results on this topic. But...my opinion...although I think the intake that comes on the car is really good...it's strange that a lot (most, NOT ALL) tuners do swap intakes fairly early on in the upgrade process. You do need to have a tune to get performance benefits...you do get sound benefits right off the bat. After trading out of my 03 to a MR, I really miss the sounds from the intake that I had on my 03. I've decided to break the bank on an intake and do the Kansai...but this is a heavily discussed topic.

Best example of how this is opinion based (in my opinion...) is by using a couple different tuners that are both respected here for comparison. Buschur stage 0 uses an intake (well, air filter kit.) This demonstrates their belief that this helps performance very early on. When you start looking at Vishnu stages...well, I don't know if any of the stages listed on their site has an upgraded intake.

So, best of luck deciding. I'm doing one again and planning on a tune for it as well.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Whats everyone think the difference in gains are? By any chance does adding the intake make you loose some boost?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostWhore
Whats everyone think the difference in gains are? By any chance does adding the intake make you loose some boost?
Look, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. You go to a dyno, test both setups with multiple runs, and compare the difference. I prefer the stock box, because I think it's riceboy city to throw on some bling-looking intake that isn't necessary. Either way, whatever intake decision you make, the difference won't be more than a few hp/tq in either direction. This isn't a big mod or anything...it's just usually one of the cheapest, and most do it for looks/sound.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:52 PM
j8
Evolving Member

Stick with the stock set-up. Spend your money on other mods. It does not make that much difference. If you get a intake make sure you get tuned for it so you can get the most out of it. Good luck on your decision.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

A drop in tends to add 5-7 whp, fyi
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
A drop in tends to add 5-7 whp, fyi
You sure? That's a LOT of hp for just a filter replacement. That would also mean almost 10 crank hp just for a filter. It's more like 3hp maybe, unless you have some dyno charts to show otherwise.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Sadly, I don't have dyno charts to show otherwise, and it's different all over the place and on different cars, hell, removing the stock lid when in a garage adds 3-5 whp... but that hp is lost if the lid is off and the car is actually moving...
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

I have had three intakes so far... Here is my quick review of each:

1st- K&N typhoon intake. Worst mistake I ever made. Without some serious tuning- this makes your car dog slow- WAYY too much air. Even worse- a well known vendor on this site refused to believe the trouble I was having with it and even said everyone on this forum who had the same problem was full of BS.

2nd- Perrin Short Ram. Looked cool and felt better. The sound was amazing and really made the MR DV sound like a true BOV. But still- it needed tuning in order to actually make the car faster. I did a test with it installed, and then the stocker- and the stock intake made the car run better and faster.

3rd and final- Stock airboxWITH K&N dropin . BEST choice by far. The car runs very well and faster than all the above. I've spoken with a few tuners and all have had nothing but great things to say about the dropin filter.

When it comes down to it- mitsu did a damn good job with the stock evo intake.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Hey SMP3000, I have a question, when you installed those other intakes, did you leave the "snorkel" part still attached, or did you remove ALL of the stock box? I've just been wondering if one of the things that makes the stock box so great is that snorkel feeding the air in.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

That's a really good observation... I can't rembember what intake pipe the typhoon came with- it may have used the stock rubber pipe- but it doesn't matter- it didn't work lol. the Perrin intake came with a big silicon smooth rubber pipe.

I have heard people installing the hks 272 cams with aftermarket intakes having stalling issues. But those that have a stock airbox/intake pipe have no problems at all. lol

Answer- yes, I think the pipe has a lot to do with it.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

I say stock intake pipe w/ open element filter kit Hard pipe always kept loosening up from engine movment for me

Quick Reply: Injen Intake OR Stock Air Box With K&N drop in?