Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

350whp WITHOUT Cams

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biglevo
plus on top of that i dont want the lumpy idle,
wow i love my lumpy idle
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

I hear where ur coming from.....im sure a few people are a bit skeptical when it comes to modifying the internals of a car, but its definitely worth it in the end.....besides, its more of a pain to install all that stuff people mentioned above......new exhaust manifold, bigger FMIC, NOS, turbo, and so on. As for the lopey idle, the 264 cams, even the 272 cams, can have a stock like idle with a proper tune. Search the threads.....you'll find people are making an assload of HP with cams, and still maintain a smooth idle. I don't mean to preach to u, but cams are really the only way ur gonna make 350 HP, unless u upgrade the turbo. Im sure a lot of people could tell u the same thing.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

no bet at alll, im just seeing if its worth trying to do this or not or if i am just dreaming.... I have about 1000 to play with and dont know what to get with it. I can get a nice alky injection kit installed for about that much and perhaps use this as an alternative to race gas, I want to be at 350whp all the time...not just when i use diff gas....i am very opened to suggestions, i might have misphrased "hassle" so plz, just any suggestions would be great
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigLEVO
i have heard 264s idle like stock but dont offer the same performance as 272s.
All depends, I just put the 264/264's in and went from 295.9 to 342.8 and it pulls like a damn train in any gear (especially 3rd).
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

standalone and all bolt ons
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Why on pump gas?

Honestly, it's much harder to get serious hp with pump gas, and to do so will probably take not only some serious mods that require serious mechanical knowledge, but you will also need some serious tuning skills. If you don't mind paying for all of that, then it may not be so hard, but if you go with cams and race gas, you can probably hit your goal with very little trouble.

Is this a bet or something? I am not sure why 350-380whp w/o race gas and w/o cams would be so important, but extra complication/parts/installation/cost are less important (if this is the case).
Because you just can't go to your nearest gas station and buy race gas. It isn't practical to drive everyday with race gas...do you? Not to mention it is bad for your catalytic converter and emissions. And let's not get into the cat and emissions subject, because I am a big preacher of street legal performance.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BigLEVO
no bet at alll, im just seeing if its worth trying to do this or not or if i am just dreaming.... I have about 1000 to play with and dont know what to get with it. I can get a nice alky injection kit installed for about that much and perhaps use this as an alternative to race gas, I want to be at 350whp all the time...not just when i use diff gas....i am very opened to suggestions, i might have misphrased "hassle" so plz, just any suggestions would be great
Ill tell you what to do. Sell that Safc(i guess you could get around 200 for it????) and then you'll have 1200 to play with. Buy an xede from vishnu and cam gears...badaBOOM. instant 30whp
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by inariv5573
Because you just can't go to your nearest gas station and buy race gas. It isn't practical to drive everyday with race gas...do you?
Of course not, but then again I'm not trying to reach 350-380whp without cams.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
Not Gonna Happen On Pump Gas.
i was at 358whp and 368wtq on pump gas(93 octane). this was with intake, bc, fuel pump, bov, tbe w/ test pipe, afc. so it is attainable. i haven't dynoed with upgraded intercooler and all hard pipes yet that i now have. my turbo kit finally came in so that and a few other goodies will be going in soon. will post numbers before new stuff goes on.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Just get the NOS FMIC sprayer and that will get you to 350 easy.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vroompsh
cams will open you up to another level of power. you'll be able to make the most of your mods especially with a proper tune...i did my own cams, its not that hard. use evomoto.com's cam install tutorial
how long did it take you, are you in the mech. business or just a hobby...just curious
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

HA. on what dyno, that land and sea crap? thats rediculous power for those few mods, LIKE REDICULOUS
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
Just get the NOS FMIC sprayer and that will get you to 350 easy.
might be the dumbest thing i have ever read
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
i was at 358whp and 368wtq on pump gas(93 octane). this was with intake, bc, fuel pump, bov, tbe w/ test pipe, afc. so it is attainable. i haven't dynoed with upgraded intercooler and all hard pipes yet that i now have. my turbo kit finally came in so that and a few other goodies will be going in soon. will post numbers before new stuff goes on.
Very unlikely...those numbers aren't even likely with those mods using RACE gas. If I can pick up 110whp with those basic bolt-ons, I'll be quite the happy camper.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tke_413
All depends, I just put the 264/264's in and went from 295.9 to 342.8 and it pulls like a damn train in any gear (especially 3rd).
DAMN YOU, damn you to hell!!! Now I want cams... and I need to save up for my guitar!!! I hate you all, and this thread!!!

Quick Reply: 350whp WITHOUT Cams