Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Suggestions from the community on whats next 4 my EVO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions from the community on whats next 4 my EVO

Ok, I've got a full turbo back exhaust, boost controller and custom flash. I'm now off to Harmonmotive to get this puppy dyno'ed. Given the 91 octane situation, I'm probably lucky to get 275hp/275tq. Besides alchy injection, are cams the next best mod for me? Has there been a definative test on cam combos, and are the GSC cams the next thing, or does HKS still rule the roost.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Get a fuel pump, and cams. Both hks/gsc cams have been proven to give great gains. What cams/and duration is up to you, either way you cant go wrong.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigjhoney
Get a fuel pump, and cams. Both hks/gsc cams have been proven to give great gains. What cams/and duration is up to you, either way you cant go wrong.
Yup.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I found out that running a 272 intake 264 exhaust will give you a good curve, and you won't need to use aftermarket cam gears to get it to idle right. Just a thought, and you could always upgrade that 264 later if you wanted to get the gears. The information that was presented to me was that the 272/264 is the best combination with the stock turbo and shooting for ~340whp. So, yeah...cams, fuel pump, intake, and another reflash to accomodate those mods - also might want to look into an aftermarket clutch to hold the extra power and a heavy duty kevlar timing belt to help prevent things going south really fast!
Old Apr 5, 2005, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
intake
Old Apr 5, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Driving school.
Alot of the weak points of the Evo is between the Momo steering wheel and Recaros.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 05:35 AM
j8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigjhoney
I am with him fuel pump, cams, with custom tune. That would be the most bang for the buck. You do not need a intake unless you really want one. The stock airbox is fine.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Get intake and GSC cams, you will unleash a whole new car
Old Apr 5, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
stickers... lots and lots of stickers.. you want a fast ride... well then you need stickers...
Old Apr 5, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nefblkevo
Ok, I've got a full turbo back exhaust, boost controller and custom flash. I'm now off to Harmonmotive to get this puppy dyno'ed. Given the 91 octane situation, I'm probably lucky to get 275hp/275tq. Besides alchy injection, are cams the next best mod for me? Has there been a definative test on cam combos, and are the GSC cams the next thing, or does HKS still rule the roost.
At that point, I put in a fuel pump and upper/lower IC pipes. I just bought 272 cams + gears, and hopefully they'll be in by this weekend.

Most of the major vendors have staged upgrades which are great to follow, they've been tested and proven. I'm loosely following Buschur's staged upgrades, and I'd recommend taking a look at that, because right now you're essentially what they'd call "stage 1":

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVOPAGE1.html

Good luck with whatever you choose
Old Apr 5, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
At that point, I put in a fuel pump and upper/lower IC pipes. I just bought 272 cams + gears, and hopefully they'll be in by this weekend.
sweet I hope you get them in before the BBQ.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
sweet I hope you get them in before the BBQ.
Yeah, me too. Maybe I'll have them work on my car while we're eating
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

I would go HKS Suction Pipe Kit, and the GSC Cams...then I would stick some intercooler piping on their to quicken the turbo spool...The one thing that keeping the stock turbo, is with a few mods it will spool instantly!