Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Is your rear fender aligned corectly?
yes its fine no chips
13.51%
nope it sticks out firther than the door and there are chips
86.49%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Who here has misaligned rear fender problem, chips?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who here has misaligned rear fender problem, chips? Updated

Ok If you have chips on your 03, 04 or even 05 (might be getting through the clear tape) on the rear fender right at the bottom where the door meets, then post up. Im wondering if this is all cars or just a few. On mine the fender sticks out firther than the door causing a colision point for rocks on the drivers side only. On the pass side the fender is in a few mm from the door just like any normal car. thanks guys.

Last edited by turboex; Apr 7, 2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

just about everyone runa search you cant miss it
Old Apr 6, 2005, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

I ran a search had no luck, a few people said they have chips. but i dident find anyone who said there fender stuck out. Hook me up with a link if you had better luck in the search department. Also mods feels free to remove this if this has been adressed all ready. Also I plan to hit up the dealership today and try get warenty to cover it for manufacturing defect.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

my rear 1/4 stuck out and got beat hard by rocks, but mitsu realigned the door and it's a-ok now, except the bodyshop got dust all over the rear seats..
Old Apr 6, 2005, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by turboex
Ok If you have chips on your 03, 04 or even 05 (might be getting through the clear tape) on the rear fender right at the bottom where the door meets, then post up. Im wondering if this is all cars or just a few. On mine the fender sticks out firther than the door causing a colision point for rocks on the drivers side only. On the pass side the fender is in a few mm from the door just like any normal car. thanks guys.

Sign me UP!!! I got that problem on my 03. I thought it was just me.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 03:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 03 has the problem. The dealer realigned the door, which helped, but I still get a lot of chips...

JW
Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

well the dealership i purchased my car from was great to me at time of purchase. Im sure they will take care of me here too. Im guessing a few more probs and it could be a recall, or TSB. Also are these being fixed by warenty. I read my book and it says manufacturer defects are covered. To me this defect. Thanks guys keep them comen.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jwtodd60
My 03 has the problem. The dealer realigned the door, which helped, but I still get a lot of chips...

JW
Do you still get chips in the same location? Did they repaint the scratches. Mine only does it on the side sticking out. The other side is flawless. If i get this fixed im gonna get the mitsu clear covers to stop it.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Sign me up I have a ton of chips in that little area. Its almost white.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

well my apointment is tomorrow at 1:30 where they will make the car as what to do about it. Honestly I would have thought this would have been at least a TSB.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:19 AM

from what i've heard this is a factory defect on almost every 2003...the door is actually the problem, not the fender...i was at a dealership two weeks ago and they told me it was covered under the corrosion warranty...due to the door being in too far, the airflow throws chips right at that part...they told me to have it fixed at their body shop under warranty and then get the clear plastic...but what i'm wondering is why they don't fix the door, it seems it will just keep happening...
Old Apr 6, 2005, 08:27 AM

I have this problem and I took it to the dealer and they stated that it was not under warranty but they would realign the door. Which they did not do. As I was watching. So I agree factory problem.

Last edited by Remorseless; Apr 6, 2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem and simply adjusted the latch to keep the door farther out. I still have the chips, but no trip to the body shop was needed. As far as I can tell, I'm not getting more chips.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

that's all the dealer does, as well as touch up the chips. mitsu acknowledges the problem and fixes it with usually no problems. remorseless, you're the first person i've heard of who has actually had a problem gettting the repair done.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet then hopefully it all goes well. Heres my dilima, I work at a airforce body shop. I can adjust the striker my self, and touch it up. But touchup paint looks like *** most of the time. I really was this repainted, the car is black so its easy to match, but then im also scared of the dealer getting over spray on stuff and things like that. its a catch 22. Any ideas guys Ill post a pic of it in a few.

Quick Reply: Who here has misaligned rear fender problem, chips?