Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

first post.. and some problems...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first post.. and some problems...

hi all.. this is my first post here on the boards and hoping to hang out here for awhile. anyways, a little while back i traded in my rsx for a used evo with ~6.5k miles. the car runs great, but i got a few questions..

1. recently i've noticed that when i first start up my car (mostly morning, when the car has been sitting for a while), that first gear doesn't really shift well. in fact, it's a little stiff to get into 1st or 2nd, and gearing in first my car seems to slightly shake a little as if it is have a little difficulty gearing into first. after the car warms up, everything seems ok.. so i wonder, could this mean a bad clutch?

2. this doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes if i like take 3rd or 4th gear to a high rpm (say 5-6k rpm), then let go of the gas and let the car coast in gear, sometimes i hear a faint rattling sound coming from my exhuast (like a metallic rattling). doesn't happen everytime, and it's not like super loud or anything, but i can still easily hear it.

3. i've done some searching and found others who have this same prob.. going into reverse and backing out, sometimes a hear a metallic "clank".. one person suggested that it is from the parking brake sticking. however, i had my car parked without the ebrake, and i got the same clunk going backing out in reverse again.. anyone else come up with another "theory" for this?

that's all for now.. got a few more questions, but i think i'll let you guys digest these first.

THANKS

Last edited by TrojanMan; Apr 6, 2005 at 04:52 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

1) Don't think so...that's pretty normal on a lot of cars. My Scion xA is the same way

2) Is it an aftermarket exhaust or stock?

3) No idea...could be in the dif or transfer case somewhere...seems to me I had that trouble with my dad's old Jeep when it was in AWD mode, but I forgot what caused it
Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria
1) Don't think so...that's pretty normal on a lot of cars. My Scion xA is the same way

2) Is it an aftermarket exhaust or stock?

3) No idea...could be in the dif or transfer case somewhere...seems to me I had that trouble with my dad's old Jeep when it was in AWD mode, but I forgot what caused it
1. i don't think i noticed this before though.. but then again it doesn't happen every morning or everytime i start my car when it's cooled down.

2. yeah.. maybe it's just normal evo noise. not that loud of a clank, but definitely there.

3. this car is all stock. during my used evo search, i only narrowed down to completely stock ones. even turned down a sweet deal for one because it had a boost guage, suspension, modded tail lights, and de-badged.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

1. my 03 did it, but my 05 doesn't seem to...I never had any clutch problems on my 03 and I had it for about 15K miles with this issue all the while...just baby them while they are cold. I personally suggest letting it warm up a bit, but that problem still seems to happen until the clutch/tranny gets warm
2. no idea
3.had this issue on my 03 as well...never figured out what it was, but never seemed to be a problem either.

I'd just keep an eye on these things, but probably no big deal as I lived with the same thing on my 03 and never had any issues relating to those...at least nothing that presented itself in the first 15K miles.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

1) This happened to me only twice so far and I haven't had any problems with it.

2) No idea, there are a lot of noises on our cars and it could be a lot of things.

3) I have the same thing, no big deal it hasn't hurt anything after 20,000 so it doesn't bother me.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

get your trans updated from mitsubishi, they will go in and replace your sychros and any other part that is worn under warranty
Old Apr 6, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SilverCOEvo
1. my 03 did it, but my 05 doesn't seem to...I never had any clutch problems on my 03 and I had it for about 15K miles with this issue all the while...just baby them while they are cold. I personally suggest letting it warm up a bit, but that problem still seems to happen until the clutch/tranny gets warm
2. no idea
3.had this issue on my 03 as well...never figured out what it was, but never seemed to be a problem either.

I'd just keep an eye on these things, but probably no big deal as I lived with the same thing on my 03 and never had any issues relating to those...at least nothing that presented itself in the first 15K miles.

how would you compare overall ride comfort between your '05 and '03? I heard '05s have bilstein shocks and that this offers a lot more comfortable ride quality. damn, my '03 is stiff and bumpy like you wouldn't believe (well yea you would since you had an '03, lol)..

and to the above, yea i'll ask my local mitsu dealer about looking into my tranny and see what's up. but seems like some people here have experienced the shaky first gear in the morning, and the clanky reverse.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

The 05 just seems a bit more solid overal than my 03 was. I've mentioned in other posts that I think I got a bit of a problematic 03 (not BIG problems...just little stuff.) And yea, with the MR you get the other shocks and stuff, so the ride is a bit different. Seems a bit more comfortable...but that's not why I got it or an Evo to begin with.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Only the MR has bilstein shocks. 03 and 05 evo have the same ride quality.

Originally Posted by TrojanMan
how would you compare overall ride comfort between your '05 and '03? I heard '05s have bilstein shocks and that this offers a lot more comfortable ride quality. damn, my '03 is stiff and bumpy like you wouldn't believe (well yea you would since you had an '03, lol)..

and to the above, yea i'll ask my local mitsu dealer about looking into my tranny and see what's up. but seems like some people here have experienced the shaky first gear in the morning, and the clanky reverse.