Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bolt on turbo? Whats best?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bolt on turbo? Whats best?

Who sells the best turbo upgrade for a lightly modded EVO that will bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe? For people who have an upgraded turbo installed already, please give me some feedback.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump

I want to know too.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

why do you want to bolt on a turbo, you will have to upgrade the whole exhaust and fuel system to support it. finish mod'ing with the factory then if you still arent satisfied with what you have then upgrade
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:00 AM

i have an atp turbo kit that bolts on to the stock exhaust manifold, but not to the down pipe, but like sabastian458 said yuo wonna have to unpgrade the fuel system and get some kind of fuel magement system.....good luck......
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

ok I think I get the point of the post, when you say kit you mean one that has what you need. Like the guys above were saying you will need to mod your car to use a better turbo, with that I would say go with vishnu stage 2 (he pulled a massive 360awhp (on dynodynamics!!!) using 91oct gas) With his kits just ask what you need with it, Shiv is really nice guy and can hook your car up to be very sick. You can also look into turbotrix kit, it runs about 3500 bucks I think and its made for stock interals and gives ruffly the same whp, possibly more. AMS makes sick kits aswell and they have several to choose from so look at there website for more info.

Personal I have vishnu products on my car but when I up my turbo (with in this year sometime) I will be looking at a. vishnu stage 3, b. turbotrix custom turbo, or c. One of the AMS kits. Im still researching for personal needs and wants. I aslo want to note that I have supporting mods for a turbo upgrade, such as fuel management (vishnu xede/ walbro fuel pump) cams (HKS 272/272) Camgears (fidanza) Full turbo back exhaust (works downpipe/ vishnu custom sig exhaust) The only thing my car will need is a manifold and injectors. Notice I did not mention air intake because it is NOT needed on our cars the stock one is just about perfect and there is no real reason to buy a new one unless you like the sound of them. However when you get into the 400+ whp you might consider getting a new intercooler 500+ its almost a must have but there are some cats that still running the stocker on big numbers.

Now for me to answer in a way that the other guys are saying, if you want a true just bolt on and go turbo that doesnt have lots of stuff to go with it, then look at the TME turbo, they run about 800-900 bucks Its a lighter turbo that will spool faster than the stock turbo, plus it has a better houseing and hotside.

hope this helps, if you want other great advice I would call andrew at dyno4mance (www.dyno4mance.com) he is the only mechaninc I EVER let touch my car. He really does know his stuff.

peace, cheers
Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
Who sells the best turbo upgrade for a lightly modded EVO that will bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe? For people who have an upgraded turbo installed already, please give me some feedback.
I chimed in above this post and didnt notice you said stock mani and downpipe. Hmmm with that I woulds say TME is your only real bet, unless you look into the atp kit but honestly I would hold off on that for I know several people that have and and saw what vishnu's stage two ismakeing (its the same turbo and should cost around the same price) He just made a flange that will fit on the stock mani alot better. I would get an exhaust full turbo back b4 ever thinking about a turbo upgrade, reason is you wont be happy even witha sick HUGE turbo without an exhaust that bad boy will just be hot and your car will be pissed because it doesnt have any air. just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Isn't the stock turbo good for like 440+whp with the proper supporting mods and tuning?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria
Isn't the stock turbo good for like 440+whp with the proper supporting mods and tuning?
YES
Old Apr 6, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoEuphoria
Sure, for a dyno pull. For more than just a dyno pull the super heated air is going to kill your turbo and motor and make much less power.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Gentelmen, thank you for the posts. I never mentioned, but I thought you guys would assume that I did have some or supporting mods (3"tb, ebc, studs, pump, flash, 264/272....etc) and injectors will be coming with the turbo along with a custom tune from Dynoflash. I am just trying to find my options, I thought there were more than just the TME, maybe a 20g or atp bolt on? Maybe not, I want to have a stock appearing engine bay.