Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RS vs. Evo VIII vs. MR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd get the RS. Yeah, the looks are kiknda ugly, w/ the black mirrors and door handles and no spoiler- but it's faster than te MR, and evo VIII. If you walk up to the RS, and try and shake it, it won't move. that baby is solid as a rock, and they DO have a package where u can get the AC and radio and all that, its like the Urban Jungle package or something
Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by modelchris
I'd get the RS. Yeah, the looks are kiknda ugly, w/ the black mirrors and door handles and no spoiler- but it's faster than te MR, and evo VIII. If you walk up to the RS, and try and shake it, it won't move. that baby is solid as a rock, and they DO have a package where u can get the AC and radio and all that, its like the Urban Jungle package or something
Rock solid indeed! You know how you can shake left to right the car seat to get it swaying side to side, you all have prolly done it at least once when you were a kid. Anyway I tried doing that in the RS and nothing. I tip the scales at 235 and for the car not to move is very very impressive. I even got my C5 Vette to sway a little and it was lowered with 18"/19" Rims.

Wierd thing is the ride comfort is great too, go figure. I may feel a bump here and there, I just avoid the potholes.

Hands down most rigid car I've ever seen, driven. I do not regret my RS for one second and I would buy another one if I had the money (to further strip, build up HP and race with)
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:37 PM

well, theres certain things i want, such as ABS (I'll be driving it in the winter), NO PWER STEERING?!...i can deal with that on a tercel with 14"steelies, but a car w/ almost 300 hp, and 17s? i dunno, i can live w/o manual windows, locks, or ac but is there something i can do to have power steering and ABS on a RS? maybe special order, but how much is that gonna cost me....i got some thinking to do...o ya...does a regular VIII come with a sunroof or is it optional? cuz i def dont want an extra 70 lbs on the roof...thanx for all the help, this is really a very cool and helpful forum
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:39 PM

sweet, kinda like my cousins integra with TEIN HA's...what makes it so much more rigid than the VIII or MR, and wut exactly should i call al the variations, is VIII wut u call the regular one...so RS, VIII, and MR??
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bennyfizzle
sweet, kinda like my cousins integra with TEIN HA's...what makes it so much more rigid than the VIII or MR, and wut exactly should i call al the variations, is VIII wut u call the regular one...so RS, VIII, and MR??
No wonder all those basketball stars, or Profootballer always tell kids to stay in school or that reading is your friend.......
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:50 PM

i'de get the standard 8 cause im a baby when it comes to power windows. IMO i expect power windows, power door locks and power steering in a brand new 30k car. just my opinion.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by TriCycle STI C
No wonder all those basketball stars, or Profootballer always tell kids to stay in school or that reading is your friend.......
wut exactly is that supposed to mean?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

well, theres certain things i want, such as ABS (I'll be driving it in the winter), NO PWER STEERING?!...i can deal with that on a tercel with 14"steelies, but a car w/ almost 300 hp, and 17s? i dunno, i can live w/o manual windows, locks, or ac but is there something i can do to have power steering and ABS on a RS? maybe special order, but how much is that gonna cost me....i got some thinking to do...o ya...does a regular VIII come with a sunroof or is it optional? cuz i def dont want an extra 70 lbs on the roof...thanx for all the help, this is really a very cool and helpful forum
Dood, 0'5 RS's come standard with A/C and Power steering....

They also come with ACD you can use for snow. And ABS is overrated, hehe
Old Apr 8, 2005, 07:55 PM

decision made...RS it is
Old Apr 8, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Go with the RS if u don't care about luxury.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
decision made...RS it is
Good for you.

Actually the absence of ABS can be an advantage in heavy snow. I've heard from a lot of people, here in the midwest, that the evo's ABS kicks in too early for snow driving. I had zero problems stopping (and going!) in 20+" of snow this winter. Just remember -- don't drive on the stock tires if it's less than 40 degrees Farenheit.

other people:
*sigh*, there is not and has never been an "urban jungle package". Every evo has A/C power steering, and power assisted brakes.

d
Old Apr 14, 2005, 08:20 AM

i heard a long time ago mitsu was offering an urban jungle package b/c the earliest evos didnt have a radio or anything, and they were offering a package with radio, power everything...and so on.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

If you like all the bells and whistles=MR Edition
If you want the most for your money=VIII
If you are a cheap *** and polish your pennies and cant afford the extra 2 grand for the VIII to get the wing, full power, Sports ABS, Radio, Painted door handles center console, etc=RS
Old Apr 14, 2005, 03:59 PM

I was moling over the same dilema (RS vs. VIII).

I actually dont mind the look of the RS without the wing.

After much thought, I finally decided to go with the VIII. Best value, and you'll be happier in the long run, you think you wont miss those little creature comforts but ultimately over time I think you do. Of course an MR was always the first choice, but for the extra $$ in monthly payments, the VIII works best with my situation. I say VIII!!