Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

For those of you who bought a used evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who bought a used evo

Do yourself a favor and change the tranny fluid right away. Bought mine used, just changed the fluid. I never seen so many metal particals in my life. I couldnt even see the drainplug it was so covered. Its cheaper to do a change, and have a peace of mind, than having to replace. Dame the person before me could not drive.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

you changed it yourself or you did it at the dealer? How much would a dealer charge for this?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

before i bought mine i had the guy change everything and show me the receipt where he got it done....that was my piece of mind
Old Apr 7, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

i have heard that even if you have an evo and you dont abuse the tranny it wouldnt hurt to at least look at the fluid at about 10K miles. i have heard it can be nasty. never heard of a problem with it, just that there can be some particles in there.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigjhoney
Do yourself a favor and change the tranny fluid right away. Bought mine used, just changed the fluid. I never seen so many metal particals in my life. I couldnt even see the drainplug it was so covered. Its cheaper to do a change, and have a peace of mind, than having to replace. Dame the person before me could not drive.
That's normal from the gears meshing together. My car only has 3000 miles and mine was covered with metal shavings as well.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
you changed it yourself or you did it at the dealer? How much would a dealer charge for this?
Got it done at a local shop i know for years. I kind of helped out so it was dirt cheap. I got them to change the oil, plugs, and all the gear fluids for $60, I supplied fluid. When I was talking to a mechanic at the dealer he said dont get the fluid changed at the dealer, its a waste of money, and he said dont buy the fluid from the dealer because you will spend more money. I only think of dealers for warranty work, thats it.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, get your fluid elsewhere, it's really expensive at the dealer. Also, don't forget other fluids work, don't be convinced that you have to use Diaqueen.