Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What Kind Of Intake Should I Get???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Kind Of Intake Should I Get???

Hey guys, gettting my 04 Evo maintainaced on monday at this dealership i found in saint louis, mo (website looked nice and clean).

Any ways, i am thinking about getting a new intake. I currently have a Rtech adaptor this tuning place called Lightning Speed installed for me. I know there are several types of intakes, and its going to be pain to do a search. So what kind do you guys think i should get, cold air ? induction (i dunno what im talking about, dunno much about intakes), and what brand is good? i know those K&N air filters looks good. Im looking free flowing to increase engine hp. Plus should i purchase and get the part installed at the tuner, or just buy the part and ask the tuner to help install it??

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

HKS rs intake is always a quality intake to get. Do some more searching there are tons of dyno results and tuner suggestions. Some like stock. Some like hks rs, or injen. Its really all about what you want though.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock is good for 11's but if you insist then I would go with the HKS or Injen. Make sure you get it tuned.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

apexi and induction box
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:26 PM
j8
Evolving Member

Stick with the stock intake. Spend your money on a down pipe or cat-back. The stock airbox is fine.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^ Agreed.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

This is ALWAYS a fun topic...and there are TONS of opinions. The Vishnu camp (and some others) believes in the stock airbox due to reduced turbulence and good air flow that's not from under the hood. Most other tuners do alter the intake pretty early on, so this ends up being a "what do you want to do" mod. I personally think intakes typically have room for improvement, but I don't like sucking hot air in either...so I am doing the best I can figure with an HKS RS intake and the Kansai air box. I really like the sound of the aftermarket intakes, even though the gain has been debated time and time again. On my 03 I had an AEM short ram and liked it a lot, but did notice a drop in my boost after installing it (which is fairly typical.) So...the only one I've seen to avoid is the K&N Typhoon, but a few people have had great luck with it. I'm sure you'll hear plenty of opinions, take them into account, but in the end...it will probably be more information than you wanted, so you end up just picking based on what you want.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

I had a K&N Typhoon and it ran horrible. Went back to stock with a K&N drop in filter and the car ran good.

Recently installed one of the APS cold air intakes and it runs awesome! As a bonus the turbo is really loud and the factory DV sounds good during a shift also.

These cars are really sensitive to intake air temp and turbulence so if you go with an underhood (cone style) type intake I would recommend getting the car tuned for it.

Just my $.02
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

HKS RS intake with an Apexi filter...
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

2nd that!!!!!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

apexi filter has been known to have the best filteration in a various head to head comparisons that I have read. Personally I have gone through 3 different intakes and 3 different tunes and I have to say that haven't noticed a difference at all.

Take my advice for what its worth, but I would spent my money elsewhere. You could get a very nice downpipe for what you would pay for an intake and actually FEEL a difference.

Remember this is not an NA honda, they are the best with intakes.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have the AEM and No problems. I just get the "what is that wind sound" from every lady that gets in the car. I always "say its that tornado in my engine bay"
Old Apr 7, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
definitely and get an ecu reflash or some other type of tune too
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:39 PM

Question, I'm Very Concerned Now

So i read a couple of people saying turbulance and hot intake air temp. So i have this Rtech intake apator and filter, which i got from this local dealer (their in house brand). They removed the 'black box" on the orginal in take and installed this adapter with its own filter on it. So now the filter (intake) is under the hood. But all the piping, the electronics, etc. are all stock. Does this create turbulence and increase the intake air temp?? and bad for my car??? Should I switch back to my stock intake/filter black box?? also, i have a greddy rs type blowoff valve. Last question, does getting an exhaust (say from Apexi or something) help more with power, and also is that legal??

thanks very much
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Exhaust upgrades are almost always helpful in the power area. This is typically an area we all agree on...but I'm sure somebody could design an exhaust that hurt performance just to make sure that all of us have something to bicker about...and yea, it's legal (that is if you keep the cat in and it's not TOO loud.) The intake thing is probably fine, and my improve performance...may not...who knows. The only way to know for sure is on a dyno...If you're not having problems with the BOV, then you're probably fine. They are known (the non-recirc kind, VTA even) to cause stalling issues due to the MAF, and if improperly set can cause surging (bad for the turbo.) If you're not seeing any of this, then I think you're in good shape.