Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Edmunds - Inside Line - Mitsubishi: Can This Brand Be Saved?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsu cannot force you to change your oil at the dealer, I never said that they did force you. But if you want a warranty, you better be at Mitsu every 5k miles.

This doesn't include Oil changes either, if you dont have proof of doing every little single thing at every 5k mile interval they can and will void claims. They cant void the warranty, just the claim for warranty work.

For instance, if you look in your owners manual, at certain intervals, they do this or that. Which is not included in an oil change.

So if at 5k miles it says Oil change, filter, replace coolant, replace diff fluids, tranny fluids, you better provide proof of that as well, and it better be as close to 5k miles documented/signed/reciept as you can.

No they cant force you, but yes they can void claims. So whats a free 10y100k warranty worth if you have to pay for it every 5k miles?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 06:55 AM

Side note: When I was in Europe part of the fun was car watching, exotics and such. Then you see good looking realistic cars. I saw one that caught my eye and walked over towards it and guess what it was a Ford. When I arrived home I emailed Ford and asked them why they try to continue to force us to buy Taurus' ect. that look like crap in my opinion and they never got back to me. So maybe afte a couple of generations pass they will start selling us the good looking cars?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

they said the same thing about crysler before Iococa took chage... I seriously doubt that mitsubishi heavy (the parent company/conglomerate) will let their automotive brand fail
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

That's pretty cool...your are Knyght-I am Darknight on other boards.
You had 94 Mustang GT-I had 94 Mustang GT.
You had 99 TA-I had 99 TA.
Just thought that was funny.
Did you beat the snot outta your TA? It's weird that your tranny and motor went, but not the weak 7.5" rear end.

Originally Posted by Knyght
Well I cant really contribute to this argument as I must always get the bad/lemon cars..

I bought my 99 T/A used with 400 miles on it. At 24,000 miles they had to replace the tranny, two weeks later, rod failure and a new engine. Keep in mind they did replace everything under warranty, but still a hassle.

Bought my 99 Corvette a few years after. I did a few mods, intake, exhaust, and at about 32,000 miles developed some leaks in the valve stem seals.. Cold start = oil smoke everywhere

I also had a 2004 Mustang GT 5spd I got brand new off showroom. After about 10k miles it developed suspension problems, and it was hard to keep the alignment for some reason. It also had "quirks" It would shut itself off sometimes. ??? So then I traded it for my RS

I did own a 92 pontiac firebird 3.1L which lasted me for 6 years no problems. So..

Then on the other hand I buy this 1990 eclipse GST. Which had ring failure, and I had to pop for a new motor myself. Lifter ticking. Constant sensor problems, pretty much had to replace everything new.

I go stupid and buy another DSM. 1992 TSi AWD this time, I put the new motor from the eclipse in there and had no real problems with that car aside from burnt valve stem seals. Then sold it for the corvette

Then I buy yet another 92 TSI AWD. This time I made it my project drag car. Still in the process of being built.

My opinion, sometimes some cars are built on friday, sometimes on monday, sometimes during the middle of the week. I trully believe this. I here lots of DSM's are dependable, and so are lots of LS1 powered GM cars. Even with tons of mods those two groups are dependable. So you cant look at only a few instances. Shrug it off, go with what you like. If it has problems chalk it up to a bad egg, but dont blame the entire car line.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Great Article.

I have had no problems with Mitsubishi or their dealerships. Service has been a breeze and I am happy that have my EVO. I have owned American cars too, and they have their problems but every car has their problems.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
... In October, it launches the newest and ninth version of its Lancer Evolution...
Do we finally have a timeframe for the release of the IX???
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it's just a pissin' shame that Mitsubishi losses continue to plung!!

Last report I saw said losses more than doubled from -2 billion to - 4.4 billion last year.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, maybe mitsu could do a XI, if they pull forward financially.