Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

throttle body intake hose

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle body intake hose

I was on the freeway last night and all of sudden I hear a thud inside the engine compartment and I immediately lost power. I was able to get it onto the shoulder and found out that the big hose going onto the throttle body popped off. I put it back on and limped it to auto zone. i had to stop a couple times when it came off again.

i bought a hose clamp and tightened the hose back on there, but since then it's popped off twice even with the hose completely tightened. has this happened to anyone else? i never noticed what the stock clamp looked like and I can't find it anywhere. is there a special kind of clamp? i'm just using a standard hose clamp on it.

any other things to consider? this is horribly unsafe. it pops off unexpectedly and the engine loses all power..and eventually stalls. fortunately i wasn't in heavy traffic the three times it's happened.

thanks for your help
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by remond
I was on the freeway last night and all of sudden I hear a thud inside the engine compartment and I immediately lost power. I was able to get it onto the shoulder and found out that the big hose going onto the throttle body popped off. I put it back on and limped it to auto zone. i had to stop a couple times when it came off again.

i bought a hose clamp and tightened the hose back on there, but since then it's popped off twice even with the hose completely tightened. has this happened to anyone else? i never noticed what the stock clamp looked like and I can't find it anywhere. is there a special kind of clamp? i'm just using a standard hose clamp on it.

any other things to consider? this is horribly unsafe. it pops off unexpectedly and the engine loses all power..and eventually stalls. fortunately i wasn't in heavy traffic the three times it's happened.

thanks for your help
Try going to NAPA and get some "T-bolt" clamps about $3 there wayyyyyy better than radiator clamps .
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes,

This has happened to several Evo owners, heh. Definitely look into t-bolt clamps. I got mine for much more money from Hose Techniques. Actually replaced all the clamps in the stock IC piping when I put my Samco hoses on.

I've heard that you can use hairspray on the hose to help it hold, but in my case with t-bolt clamps I haven't had a problem (except for the one time I forgot to tighten it sufficiently)...

Good luck,

FB
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

This happen to me twice. Once on the Bay Bridge. Before I refitted the hose, I applied a thin coating on the outside of the throttle body and slipped on the hose and no problems since. Always use a ratchet. You will never tighten the clamp enought with a screwdriver.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I know this thread is way old, but I'm having the same issue now. Does anyone know what size the clamp needs to be? I've had it happen and limped it home, then it happened after tightening it down with a wrench... So I think the clamp is no good. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a bad clamp. Stock upper or aftermarket? The stock throttle body has a 60mm opening but thick hose so you need a 2.75' or 3't-bolt clamp if you're running the stock hose. That should have enough adjustment to clamp it down tight. Try http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...5552a0cbb2b80c
Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks 05blue8, yeah I think it sounds like that's what I gotta do... Hopefully that solves the issue for good!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know WHY a t-bolt clamp is better than a worm gear clamp? I mean... I've read up and I get that its not open to debate... but I'm looking at pics on the web and I guess I'm just not seeing the physics involved that make the difference?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Does anyone know WHY a t-bolt clamp is better than a worm gear clamp? I mean... I've read up and I get that its not open to debate... but I'm looking at pics on the web and I guess I'm just not seeing the physics involved that make the difference?
the worm clamp "teeth" stretch and can not tighten as much and when you over tighten the worm clamps you can strip it and make it worthless. the t-bolt clamps are a nut and bolt
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
also put a little hairspray on the hose acts as glue to stop from slipping off