Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has your Evo ever done this?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedUSEVO
How many miles on the car? Might have a sticky fuel injector. That would be a reason for running thin enough to ping. What octane is the fuel?
It just turned over 10k on the car. I regularly use fuel system treatment and usually get gas at the same station. The gas is 92 octane. The air cleaner is clean (intake is an APS cold air with a K&N cone filter).

It won't do it if you just go to about 1/2 throttle and then floor it after it is getting boost.

It only did it if I was cruising at 2800 in high gear and then floored it.

Pretty weird.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

What type of fuel treatment? Most of them, if overused, can burn out valves and guides. It should be used sparingly.
If you got a p0300 your SES light should be on. I had that and Mitsu replaced my tranny for free, so I know that process.
I would pull the spark plugs and check them for burnout from the fuel system cleaner. That could also be it.

Originally Posted by 96_LXR
It just turned over 10k on the car. I regularly use fuel system treatment and usually get gas at the same station. The gas is 92 octane. The air cleaner is clean (intake is an APS cold air with a K&N cone filter).

It won't do it if you just go to about 1/2 throttle and then floor it after it is getting boost.

It only did it if I was cruising at 2800 in high gear and then floored it.

Pretty weird.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

do you have any tuning done to your car?whn you started from 2800rpm where in the band did it happen?if it was the po300 youre ses light would have turned on,intakes usually woud lean you out a bit but since youre using 92oct it wouldnt have been that bad.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
It might just be you BOV?!
Also try putting the stock airbox back in.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never happened to me.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RedUSEVO
What type of fuel treatment? Most of them, if overused, can burn out valves and guides. It should be used sparingly.
If you got a p0300 your SES light should be on. I had that and Mitsu replaced my tranny for free, so I know that process.
I would pull the spark plugs and check them for burnout from the fuel system cleaner. That could also be it.
I use the fuel system treatment (usually Valvoline synthetic or Chevron Techron) at 3000 mile intervals.

I know these cars run pretty rich so it would probably be a good idea to pull the plugs and take a look at them.

As far as the RPM it was at when it did it I'm not really too sure. It semmed to happen right as the engine approached full boost, maybe 3200 RPM or so ?
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:06 AM

never.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Couple good points here. After checking your plugs replace the factory airbox, if you haven't been tuned for the aftermarket one.
Also, stop with the fuel treatment, you don't need it that often. Maybe every 10K or so but I never use it before 60K miles and I only use it once every year or two after that.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:19 AM

03 Stock EVO VIII is doing this same thing. I can almost get it to do it at will, but not all of the time.

What ended up being the problem with your car?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:46 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't blame it on the APS intake. I had a misfire problem with my turbo upgrade and I had an APS intake too. I tried the stock intake and it still did it. I think my problem was my BOV though because it didn't recirculate. Also my problem only would sometimes misfire at WOT, usually it would happen just cruising. It would especially happen after climbing a hill and then heading downhill.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 96_LXR
When it did it I think I heard the engine ping (detonation) and saw a small puff of smoke out the rear view mirror. The sun was behind me so it made it easy to see the puff of smoke.
My thinking could be wrong about this but are you sure you heard a ping? Maybe you are running rich. What type of air filter? Dry or oil? if it is a oil type filter like a K&N it is possible that there is a little oil on the MAF and it is reading incorrectly. And before anybody flames me by saying this can't happen with the resonate type MAS that is not true. I recently had a similar problem but the stutering at freeway speed got a little worse then I threw a CEL (maf sensor) I cleand my MAS with some carb cleaner (*IMPORTANT*HAS TO BE A TYPE THAT DOES NOT ATTACK PLASTIC) then I reset my code. Car runns fine now and it has been about 250 miles and still has not recoded Car runs better now then it has in a long time! needless to say...I no longer am running the K&N
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Ummm, mashing the gas that low can cause ping which WILL pull timing and give the feeling of a shudder. I assume you were in 4th or 5th gear, yes? Just roll on or drop a gear.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I have switched back to the stock factory air box and have not had any more problems. As I said before, I wouldn't normally just floor the thing while cruising, I usually step into it a little slower until it starts to spool and then step into it.

When it did this the car really surged and / or misfired, seems like it almost had to be fuel cut.

Surprisingly switching back to the stock airbox has cured the cold start stalling problem I was having also (another post).
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have a boost gauge? How high are you spiking?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

When you're in 5th gear at roughly half throttle, you're getting the turbo to spike. Most of the time, it will cause you to run lean. My guess it that when you finally went full throttle, your fuel trims were out of wack. I once had a faulty internal wastegate on a 20G that was stuck closed; so I would control boost with the throttle. I hooked up the wideband, and I was running dangerously lean in some spots because the boost is high, but the TPS reading is only at 50%-70%. The boost is at a WOT level, but the fuel isn't being given for WOT. Also, stomping the pedal at low RPM in 5th gear puts a lot of load on the turbo, and creates lots of heat. Most engines I've seen destroyed are either in 4th or 5th gear when they blow. This is not a guarantee but IMHO I think your playing with fire.