Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock MR - 13.1@104 (timeslip)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suposidly disables the 5k limiter. read about it here, cant remember where, but i havent tried it yet.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I ran 13.3's with 2.0's at 103.8..IF only I'd have known which plug!!At the track I disconnected the bottom one just out of curiosity with no luck..I did however manage an 1/8th time of 8.2@85.6 with a 1.8 60 foot time which would have been an easy 12.9 but I hit the brakes and did a 13.4 at 90 because I was in a bracket race..Now I got a reflash when I was at the track by Dynoflash, who wants to guess what a stock MR with only a reflash and 5k limiter removed will run in the 1/4??With theese kind of numbers mabye if I just slap an exhaust on with a MBC I'll be in the 11's!!!(kidding)..Anyway I just wanna say to whoever has a stock MR, go get that 12 second pass,it's waiting for you..

I feel like my car should be able to hit 12.8 or 12.7 now with only a reflash which in my opinion is pretty damn good..The car feels alot stronger,SOUNDS different, and is better on gas..It runs like a finly tuned machine and now I have alot more top end thanks to the boostflash..No more spikey spikey!

Being that I am so impressed with theese #'s I am going to try to make the car as fast as I can while still keeping stock looking..I want to try a 3 inch turbo-to-stock-catback (no cat) and a few other things that no one will be able to notice..Imagine an 11 second MR with no visible hints of mods! I got a long way to go but its gonna be fun!
Originally Posted by hank
suposidly disables the 5k limiter. read about it here, cant remember where, but i havent tried it yet.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Mind you this is the street.............not the track.
I tried to launch my MR 3 times.................2 times it totally bogged then zzzzzzzzoooom took off.
The last time I guess I caught it on the up swing as it was bounced around the limiter...and man was it a great launch. But there is no skill there....its all luck. Thats all I have tried....Im trying to treat my clutch well till I have enough side money to replace it..........if I wanna play rough.

Ill have it (the rev limiter)
removed with my next dynoflash.

Last edited by twan; Apr 11, 2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dynoflash does not remove the limiter,you need to unplug the switch..I can also say I am pretty sure hitting that limiter will pull timing,one of my passes I hit the limiter breifly and trap speed dropped 4 mph with all shift points the same ect.
Originally Posted by twan
Mind you this is the street.............not the track.
I tried to launch my MR 3 times.................2 times it totally bogged then zzzzzzzzoooom took off.
The last time I guess I caught it on the up swing as it was bounced around the limiter...and man was it a great launch. But there is no skill there....its all luck. Thats all I have tried....Im trying to treat my clutch well till I have enough side money to replace it..........if I wanna play rough.

Ill have it (the rev limiter)
removed with my next dynoflash.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
Dynoflash does not remove the limiter,you need to unplug the switch..I can also say I am pretty sure hitting that limiter will pull timing,one of my passes I hit the limiter breifly and trap speed dropped 4 mph with all shift points the same ect.
Dynoflash does not know how to remove the rev limiter with his flash.

As far as your launches go, IMH and respectful opinion you are a noob to the '05 rev limit. I USE the stutterbox everytime and it is CONSISTANT, builds 8psi of boost off the line without even moving and pulls 1.74-1.8's all day. The trick is not to let the clutch out too fast or you will burn or bog it. Let it out slightly until you feel it catch and then let it out the rest of the way. I out launch a buddy with a custom one-off tilton carbon/carbon clutch 8/10 times. Using the stutterbox is a lot easier and better.

'05 MR 12.42@111mph
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Dynoflash does not know how to remove the rev limiter with his flash.

As far as your launches go, IMH and respectful opinion you are a noob to the '05 rev limit. I USE the stutterbox everytime and it is CONSISTANT, builds 8psi of boost off the line without even moving and pulls 1.74-1.8's all day. The trick is not to let the clutch out too fast or you will burn or bog it. Let it out slightly until you feel it catch and then let it out the rest of the way. I out launch a buddy with a custom one-off tilton carbon/carbon clutch 8/10 times. Using the stutterbox is a lot easier and better.
There is no stutterbox on my MR. There is a "launch denier." As soon as my rpms get even CLOSE to 5k, the timing pulls and it starts to affect the RPM. When it actually gets to 5k, there is no power and the RPMs bounce like a stutterbox, but the car would NOT MOVE when I tried to engage the clutch. I wasn't able to get moving until I let the RPMs drop some then bring them back up while giving it gas. There was no boost building during this time and absolutely no way to launch. I did it twice at the track with the sole purpose of trying to make it work, and neither time would my car move.

I had previously encountered it on the street and nothing happened either, but I didn't worry about it until I was at the track and was able to let it loose. Still, nothing happened...
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

pretty impressive time!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was able to run a 13.31 at 104 in mine with a 2.0 60' time. I was using the 5k rev-limiter to launch but was bogging slightly towards the end. It would be nice if the rev-limiter could be set to 6k, I think I could get a better time, I try to avoid slipping it alot so I don't get the burnt clutch smell.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
I ran 13.3's with 2.0's at 103.8..IF only I'd have known which plug!!At the track I disconnected the bottom one just out of curiosity with no luck..I did however manage an 1/8th time of 8.2@85.6 with a 1.8 60 foot time which would have been an easy 12.9 but I hit the brakes and did a 13.4 at 90 because I was in a bracket race..Now I got a reflash when I was at the track by Dynoflash, who wants to guess what a stock MR with only a reflash and 5k limiter removed will run in the 1/4??With theese kind of numbers mabye if I just slap an exhaust on with a MBC I'll be in the 11's!!!(kidding)..Anyway I just wanna say to whoever has a stock MR, go get that 12 second pass,it's waiting for you..

I feel like my car should be able to hit 12.8 or 12.7 now with only a reflash which in my opinion is pretty damn good..The car feels alot stronger,SOUNDS different, and is better on gas..It runs like a finly tuned machine and now I have alot more top end thanks to the boostflash..No more spikey spikey!

Being that I am so impressed with theese #'s I am going to try to make the car as fast as I can while still keeping stock looking..I want to try a 3 inch turbo-to-stock-catback (no cat) and a few other things that no one will be able to notice..Imagine an 11 second MR with no visible hints of mods! I got a long way to go but its gonna be fun!
So what did you run after the flash? Sorry if I missed it in your post.
Where in PHL are you? Im out near **** hill. So there are at least 2 GG MR's in PHL
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
There is no stutterbox on my MR. There is a "launch denier." As soon as my rpms get even CLOSE to 5k, the timing pulls and it starts to affect the RPM. When it actually gets to 5k, there is no power and the RPMs bounce like a stutterbox, but the car would NOT MOVE when I tried to engage the clutch. I wasn't able to get moving until I let the RPMs drop some then bring them back up while giving it gas. There was no boost building during this time and absolutely no way to launch. I did it twice at the track with the sole purpose of trying to make it work, and neither time would my car move.

I had previously encountered it on the street and nothing happened either, but I didn't worry about it until I was at the track and was able to let it loose. Still, nothing happened...
Your ECU is no different than any other MR. You stated timing is being pulled. What datalogger are you using? I log timing, rpm, cfm, wideband a/f, boost, and egt amongst others. You need more practice launching, nothing else. Don't make excuses that your stutterbox limiter is killing your power, because that is ridiculous. It is a stutterbox and not a "neutral limit". Neutral has nothing to do with it engaging. It has to do with the wheels moving or not. It only engages when the wheels are stopped. Your revs and power are not affected "anywhere near" 5k, it will only happen AT 5k. The ecu does a perfect job doing what is is supposed to do. This image will show everyone exactly what DOES happen. Notice how the rpms stutter right at 5k while building 5-6 psi on this particular launch.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hey if someone traps at 105.77 mph what should they be running in the quarter? and what would be a good 60 foot time? i went to the track yesterday and ran a 13.4 with a 105 mph. my 60ft sucked. it was 1.993. i have a tbe, aem intake, and a blitz blow off valve. this was at Great Lakes in union grove, wisconsin.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ZoSilverEvo
Hey if someone traps at 105.77 mph what should they be running in the quarter? and what would be a good 60 foot time? i went to the track yesterday and ran a 13.4 with a 105 mph. my 60ft sucked. it was 1.993. i have a tbe, aem intake, and a blitz blow off valve. this was at Great Lakes in union grove, wisconsin.
You should have an ET of about 12.75 with a 1.80 60' launch. 1.78-1.80 should be an average launch.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm95hybrid
Your ECU is no different than any other MR. You stated timing is being pulled. What datalogger are you using? I log timing, rpm, cfm, wideband a/f, boost, and egt amongst others. You need more practice launching, nothing else. Don't make excuses that your stutterbox limiter is killing your power, because that is ridiculous. It is a stutterbox and not a "neutral limit". Neutral has nothing to do with it engaging. It has to do with the wheels moving or not. It only engages when the wheels are stopped. Your revs and power are not affected "anywhere near" 5k, it will only happen AT 5k. The ecu does a perfect job doing what is is supposed to do. This image will show everyone exactly what DOES happen. Notice how the rpms stutter right at 5k while building 5-6 psi on this particular launch.
I've done about 300 launches in AWD DSMs with MANY of them in the 1.6x's (regular tires, ACT 2600, and nothing more than 16g power), so I wouldn't say I need practice. When I tried to engage my clutch during the stutter, there was NO power whatsoever. Yes, my car DOES start to get affected BEFORE 5k. I can go outside right now and do it over and over again. Before it reaches 5k on the tach, it starts to lose power. At 5k exactly, it starts the stutter. I can hold it at 4500 and it's fine. I can add just a few 100 rpm and it pulls back in power. I can reproduce this time and time again, so it's not my imagination. Then, if I ATTEMPT to apply power during this stutter, the car doesn't even move. NOTHING happens except that I begin to roll slowly forward.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZoSilverEvo
with 105 mphs on pump gas and I ran 12.9/13.0. The 13.01 @ 105 was my best 60' time of 1.75. My car was running strong off the line but really lacked in the high end. Best time that day was 12.81 @ 107. I'll be running again soon as BR stage 4 + race gas, so we'll see. Here are vids of 105 runs.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=120132
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I've done about 300 launches in AWD DSMs with MANY of them in the 1.6x's (regular tires, ACT 2600, and nothing more than 16g power), so I wouldn't say I need practice. When I tried to engage my clutch during the stutter, there was NO power whatsoever. Yes, my car DOES start to get affected BEFORE 5k. I can go outside right now and do it over and over again. Before it reaches 5k on the tach, it starts to lose power. At 5k exactly, it starts the stutter. I can hold it at 4500 and it's fine. I can add just a few 100 rpm and it pulls back in power. I can reproduce this time and time again, so it's not my imagination. Then, if I ATTEMPT to apply power during this stutter, the car doesn't even move. NOTHING happens except that I begin to roll slowly forward.
I don't know how you are trying to launch it other than what you have described thus far. With the stutter the throttle is 100% open. If you are not holding the pedal fully open this may be your problem. You remain full throttle from stutter all the way to your 1-2 shift. The clutch is the only pedal modulated. I have owned 9 DSM's inclusive of a few in my signature. TMO stage III modded GVR4 ECU, Eeprom 95 AWD talon etc. Launching with the stutter is a little different at first but it makes it easier and more consistant once you get it down.