Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock MR - 13.1@104 (timeslip)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock MR - 13.1@104 (timeslip)

Ok, well, as I mentioned during the week, I got an opportunity to get some baseline runs on my stock MR. I limited it to 3 tries, but only 1 of them was actually any good, and that happened to be my first run:

13.17@103.89, 93octane, 60 degrees, 750ft altitude

When I finished the run, I knew it was pretty good, but when I saw the slip I was amazed for 2 reasons: 1) My launch felt ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, but the 60' was horrible (1.92??), and 2) despite a bad launch, I still got a 13.1 and almost reached 104mph. Since I didn't bog OR spin the tires, my only guess is that I accidentally tripped the laser early during my pre-launch feathering method. The rest of the run was picture perfect (from my experience), as I nailed the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 on perfect speed shifts, then I didn't have to shift to 5th, although I was right at redline when I finished.

2 additional notes from the timeslip: 1) With a decent 60' (1.7x), this would have been most assuredly a 12.9x run, so it is in my opinion that the MR is definitely capable of 12s in stock form, and 2) I picked up 23.2mph in the 2nd 1/8th...that surprised me.

My next 2 tries were both complete busts, because I got attacked by the neutral rev limiter (5500rpm) just as I was about to launch. I had not yet experienced this in any of my practice launches, so needless to say, I got completely pwnt by them. Both runs ended up with 2.4 60's as I slowly rolled through the lights unable to get the clutch to grab....very weird feeling. This is also why I didn't get a chance to do any test runs in stock form + S-AFC. I'll just have to test/tune that on a dyno.
Attached Thumbnails Stock MR - 13.1@104 (timeslip)-stock_05_mr-drag.jpg  
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what were you running against that ran a 10.2?
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

nice times...especially for stock
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ok, well, as I mentioned during the week, I got an opportunity to get some baseline runs on my stock MR. I limited it to 3 tries, but only 1 of them was actually any good, and that happened to be my first run:

13.17@103.89, 93octane, 60 degrees, 750ft altitude

When I finished the run, I knew it was pretty good, but when I saw the slip I was amazed for 2 reasons: 1) My launch felt ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, but the 60' was horrible (1.92??), and 2) despite a bad launch, I still got a 13.1 and almost reached 104mph. Since I didn't bog OR spin the tires, my only guess is that I accidentally tripped the laser early during my pre-launch feathering method. The rest of the run was picture perfect (from my experience), as I nailed the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 on perfect speed shifts, then I didn't have to shift to 5th, although I was right at redline when I finished.

2 additional notes from the timeslip: 1) With a decent 60' (1.7x), this would have been most assuredly a 12.9x run, so it is in my opinion that the MR is definitely capable of 12s in stock form, and 2) I picked up 23.2mph in the 2nd 1/8th...that surprised me.

My next 2 tries were both complete busts, because I got attacked by the neutral rev limiter (5500rpm) just as I was about to launch. I had not yet experienced this in any of my practice launches, so needless to say, I got completely pwnt by them. Both runs ended up with 2.4 60's as I slowly rolled through the lights unable to get the clutch to grab....very weird feeling. This is also why I didn't get a chance to do any test runs in stock form + S-AFC. I'll just have to test/tune that on a dyno.
Great run. Considering your trap speed, I am sure you can hit 12's with a better launch.
It is definitely capable, professional tests show it. If you consider they got a regular Evo to do 13 even...well you would think the MR can do better.

Last edited by inariv5573; Apr 9, 2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Nice.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverCOEvo
nice times...especially for stock
Actually I would say nice times for his first run. He can do better stock.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wingnut17
what were you running against that ran a 10.2?
Some ole crazy tubbed out Nova with slicks...
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
Actually I would say nice times for his first run. He can do better stock.
Yeah, I was CERTAIN I could hit 12's no problem with a good launch, but that launch didn't materialize after I got caught by the rev limiter. I also could have stayed for several more hours and done 3-4 more runs, but I wasn't willing to push the car that hard...I don't plan on dragging other than to get baseline numbers after mods, so I just had to suck it up and accept that 13.1, despite knowing I could do better.

I have some work to do figuring out a way around that neutral rev limiter...
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:31 AM

So on the one run that you did do well on. How did you launch the car? Rpm? Did you feather the clutch?

How did the rev limiter work? You can't just hold the gas down and let it bounce?

Sorry for the newbie questions but my MR is still in the break in period or I'd find out on my own how the limiter works.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbomatic240sx
So on the one run that you did do well on. How did you launch the car? Rpm? Did you feather the clutch?

How did the rev limiter work? You can't just hold the gas down and let it bounce?

Sorry for the newbie questions but my MR is still in the break in period or I'd find out on my own how the limiter works.
Nah, no problem. I don't think this has been discussed ad nauseam....

On the one good run, I feathered, and that's why the rev blocker didn't kick in. I started to release the clutch slightly before the RPMs got too high, and then just as I started to roll, I hammered it, which resulted in a nice launch, but apparently I tripped the wire during that slight roll, so it cost me at least 2/10s.

As for the rev limiter in neutral, I couldn't believe how debilitating it was. I thought it would work like a stutterbox, but it DOESN'T. As soon as I hit the rpm limit, the rev blocker kicked in, and I wasn't able to move. I tried giving it gas while letting off the clutch some, but NOTHING happened. It was awful, and I've never felt anything like it. Eventually, the rpms lowered, and I was able to start moving slowly, then bog, then launch. By then, my run was already over, so I just pulled hard in 2nd, then cruised after shifting to 3rd...got a 15.4 @ 72. The 2nd time it happened, I actually TRIED to salvage the run, but I went on to miss 3rd (revved too high in 2nd), and then snagged the edge of my brake pedal when shifting to 4th with my big clunking shoe. It was probably the most embarassing drag run in my entire life, but I am able to laugh about it. Funny thing is that still resulted in a 13.8@100 with a 2.44 60' and still beat the Golf GTi by more than a second. Oh, the other thing of note was that I had a higher mph at the 1/8th in this one, despite the screwups. Weird.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Apr 9, 2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice time, I plan on taking my MR to E-town NJ tommorow and I am hoping for similar times,mabye a 12 even..I have made litteraly hundreds of passes in my old Galant vr4 so I know how launch pretty well..I did launch the MR one while hitting the 5k rpm limit but it just kinda shook the car for 10ft and then took the hell off..I will post my results tommorow night..

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Nah, no problem. I don't think this has been discussed ad nauseam....

On the one good run, I feathered, and that's why the rev blocker didn't kick in. I started to release the clutch slightly before the RPMs got too high, and then just as I started to roll, I hammered it, which resulted in a nice launch, but apparently I tripped the wire during that slight roll, so it cost me at least 2/10s.

As for the rev limiter in neutral, I couldn't believe how debilitating it was. I thought it would work like a stutterbox, but it DOESN'T. As soon as I hit the rpm limit, the rev blocker kicked in, and I wasn't able to move. I tried giving it gas while letting off the clutch some, but NOTHING happened. It was awful, and I've never felt anything like it. Eventually, the rpms lowered, and I was able to start moving slowly, then bog, then launch. By then, my run was already over, so I just pulled hard in 2nd, then cruised after shifting to 3rd...got a 15.4 @ 72. The 2nd time it happened, I actually TRIED to salvage the run, but I went on to miss 3rd (revved too high in 2nd), and then snagged the edge of my brake pedal when shifting to 4th with my big clunking shoe. It was probably the most embarassing drag run in my entire life, but I am able to laugh about it. Funny thing is that still resulted in a 13.8@100 with a 2.44 60' and still beat the Golf GTi by more than a second. Oh, the other thing of note was that I had a higher mph at the 1/8th in this one, despite the screwups. Weird.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:51 PM

Hey I'll be at E-town tomorrow in my 240sx. Look for a green/blue 95 240sx with TeamXXXracing decal on the side of it. I want to check out how you do with the MR. Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
Nice time, I plan on taking my MR to E-town NJ tommorow and I am hoping for similar times,mabye a 12 even..I have made litteraly hundreds of passes in my old Galant vr4 so I know how launch pretty well..I did launch the MR one while hitting the 5k rpm limit but it just kinda shook the car for 10ft and then took the hell off..I will post my results tommorow night..
Yeah, that's what I thought, too, until I actually tried it. I have done several hundreds passes with both AWD (1.63 best) and FWD (1.81 best) DSM, but today was the worst I've _ever_ done in any car as far as launching goes. The first launch was great with no problems whatsoever, but the time slip said otherwise. In the past, a bad launch would be a 1.81, and that would be a complete messup. I didn't expect anything worse than 1.75 today, but that rev limiter thing lit me up.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

nice stock run
Old Apr 9, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Nice to know the MR can run 12s stock (pardon my hypothetical adjustment on your 60" time but I believe your 104 speaks loudly about what a clean launch would or should yield).