Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car and Drivers long term review of the evolution 8. Apr 2005

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Evo is an extreme sports car and even moderately enthusiastic drivers will still find it too stiff. And, it doesn't have the luxury content most people want. For those buyers, there are cars like the Audi A4 or BMW 325ix. I think the Audi and BMW are dull in comparison too the Evo, but they are more comfortable and have more luxury features.

Car and Driver is a 'mainstream' enthusiasts magazine and their review policies reflect their market.

Jim
Old Apr 10, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

everyone has to remember, all the people at R&T are men in the middle ages, and they wont enjoy a car like this. this car is for the young tuner in mind. im 21 and i have to say the power and the look are both great. if they dont enjoy it then obvisously there is a stick up someone's ***.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^lol
Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sorry but those guys were total wimps! Sure it's not the car for the typical drive from point A to B type of person but it's a performance sedan that just happens to be in line for super car performance when modified. The problems they were having seemed to be more pronounced during the '03 model year such as the 5th gear synchro, however the O2 sensor backing out and causing an exhaust leak was enough to sideline them... scary stuff. It just goes to show if you are going to mod your car, you better know the basics of how it's put together or don't do it expecting zero problems. If they did 5 seconds of research they would have known that the clutch wouldn't hold up to the extra HP they were asking to put to the pavement. I'm also assuming that the somewhat low trap speeds were from the 91 octane gas and being wrecked surely didn't help their cause any... Your right, they are not ready yet.

Go back to your SUV's, minivans, and luxo mobiles that float over the road surface on 60k mile tires made of plastic...
Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This was C&D not R&T. R&T writes much more favorably about the Evo.

I've been a subscriber to both for a couple of years primarily because they're cheap. I've come to not tolerate, let alone read, the individual editor pieces in C&D. They're far too proud of the written word and not proud enough of performance vehicles in my humble opinion.

I've been waiting until after the shootout to cancel my subscription - it's only like $10 but every time the damn thing arrives in the mail my eyes roll. It's the writing them a letter part I've not settled on. I'm gonna be 44 - but I'm DEFINITELY in their demographic. *Shrug*
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

The 02 backing out??? Seems like the guy who installed all that stuff did not do such a hot job. Exhaust leak, 02 backing out???

Funny thing is I had this exact system on my car and never had these issues. I wonder why???
Old Apr 28, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
everyone has to remember, all the people at R&T are men in the middle ages, and they wont enjoy a car like this. this car is for the young tuner in mind. im 21 and i have to say the power and the look are both great. if they dont enjoy it then obvisously there is a stick up someone's ***.
I agree but I guess I fall outside of my age group. I'm 32 and I traded my Mercedes for my 03 EVO. I now have 87, 000 miles on it and the only thing I worry about is what my next mod will be!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

man i thought i was a post ***** 5 posts to start the thread
Old Jul 21, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

I don't like how they say the exterior looks like your waiting in line for a Vin Diesel autograph. Or have Fast and the Furious posters lining your wall. And why people over 30 wouldn't drive it. First of all I am 31 and love the exterior. In general, people over 30 would easily afford it. Also the Evo's looks have been around since 1991. A decade before Fast and Furious came out and Vin Diesel was just came in to his own. When are people going to stop putting stigmas on performance cars like Evo's and STi's? The RX8 and 350z don't seem to have this problem? People don't know what performance is. They underestimate. That statement was completely uncalled for. Now if the Evo was developed after the Fast and the Furious, I can understand. The way I see it, it's like vehicular prejudice, or automotive racism.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

These cars are for big boys, not kids(even though there are some lucky ones). They have never been a kids car since there inception. I know more people over 30 driving one than not. Damn, I'm 34 so I must be reliving my childhood according to them. Screw them. I read this article when it came out in my subscription and it is a total backpedal from what they said in the first place. What about all these years the car has been out in the rest of the world, oh and without fast and the furious movies to lay blame on. I am so damn sick of hearing the fast and the Furious movie crap about the cars. I guess NASCAR must be to blame for all the redneck hotrod beaters I see around with no muffler. Or the factory Monte Carlo redneck NASCAR sticker packages off the dealer lot. LOL
Old Jul 22, 2005, 05:01 AM

The fact that the EVO isn't for everyone is a good thing. That way those of us with them can laugh as we pass those without. Anyway I enjoy every second in my car from the moment I open the garage and see it just waiting to be driven to the second I turn off the ignition and stop breathing hard from pure enjoyment. So what if the car feels a bit stiffer than most, its made that way for a reason, plus any tuner who has modded his car usually will add a stiffer suspension for added performance.

So my simple solution to those who don't like the EVO: don't buy one and stay in the slow lane so I can pass.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 06:08 AM

The EVO is certainly not for everybody, hell, any car is!!!
Broken in right, modded right, driven right.... you shouldn't have any problem with the car.
What happens a lot of times are some owners drives the car like they stole it the moment they leave the dealership.
Some modded cars are done by owners who thinks they have all the know hows. Then you have idiots driving it over it's limits stock or not. This car, even for how great it is still has limits.
The C&D article for the most part is right on the money, a few i disagree with.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WOO HOO
The EVO is certainly not for everybody, hell, any car is!!!
Broken in right, modded right, driven right.... you shouldn't have any problem with the car.
What happens a lot of times are some owners drives the car like they stole it the moment they leave the dealership.
Some modded cars are done by owners who thinks they have all the know hows. Then you have idiots driving it over it's limits stock or not. This car, even for how great it is still has limits.
The C&D article for the most part is right on the money, a few i disagree with.

I totally agree! I did a 5K break-in on my EVO where I didn't even touch 5Krpms. It was very hard to do but I did it. I drive 1000 miles a week so it didn't take that long. After the break-in I've driven it very hard but within it's limit. I'm currently at 95K and the stock clutch was holding strong. I say was because while had it in for the Tranny TSB repair I had them install a new stock clutch to save me all the labor. Before you ask, the stock lasted me 95K so why should I put in a more expensive aftermarket unit when the stocker costs only about $340.
Sorry to steal the thread, or lead it away from C&D.