Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IX vs SRT-4 with Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mean the SRT-4 is a great car for it's price, but it just cannot compare to an EVO, yes the EVO does cost more, but last time I checked, you pay more for the better product. EVOs are great drag cars, I sure don't know why people say they can't drag race their EVOs, they probably just have trouble launching. I mean a visit to the drag strip last night for a simple test and tune, and I saw 4 EVOs running 11s, fastest SRT-4 was a low 12@118MPH.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

If you really want a fast drag car, Evo isn't the absolute best. They can be really fast drag cars, but no one here will say that the SVT Cobra isn't better. They are awesome in many different respects, which is what makes them so inredible; they didn't sacrifice any aspect of performance, and cost around thirty thousand dollars for the base model (even less for the RS). If you look at other affordable, fun to drive cars, they have to sacrifice something. The SRT-4 sacrifices handling, the Cobalt SS sacrifices power, the STi sacrifices a smidgen of handling, the MazdaSpeed Protege sacrificed power; it all boils down to "you get what you pay for." This has been covered a few times, but most of the times it has been overflowed with spam posts. The important thing is he has rid all the thoughts of getting an SRT-4 out of his mind and is a full Evo convert
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

SRT4 hmmmm, find a chevrolet COLBAT and play with it.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm....

how bout NO you crazy dutch bastard!

Originally Posted by EVIL MR
SRT4 hmmmm, find a chevrolet COLBAT and play with it.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

navyevo82, if you want just a drag car, buy the srt-4. if you want a chick magnet, buy an evo.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

haha, i don't want just a drag car, and after thinking about it, i don't want the srt-4....although it isn't a bad car, for the price at least- regardless of whether it's a neon or not. I am going to test drive the STI and the EVO when I get back to the states and make my decision from there..still have 11 months- blah.
Originally Posted by housedj
navyevo82, if you want just a drag car, buy the srt-4. if you want a chick magnet, buy an evo.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

I considered getting an SRT-4..but then I though to myself..."Do I really wanna drive 100+mph in a Dodge NEON?" That is the $30,000 question my friend...good luck either way, both cool cars...
Old Apr 10, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NavyEVO82
how bout NO you crazy dutch bastard!
IT'S (ABOUT) NOT (BOUT)
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:24 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO8 WHOA
evo, theres like 10 srt4s local our area that meets up where we all meet and a few of us evos and im sorry the neons look out of place and stupid at our meets its like rice boy go home.. so ya get an evo even if it would be stock for a while u will like it in long run better. and the srt4 is front wheel drive good luck hookin up when u do make power.....

Boy, I hope you arent referring to Starbucks as a local area meet - there are tons of cars that go there every weekend. And since im local to you and there on most weekends, I know that the other SRT's up there definitely dont go to any EVO meets. Its not that we dont like them, I personally love the EVO - and yours is especially sweet. I drive the black SRT with no wing, debadged, 15% tint all the way around, and an apple sticker on the drivers side window. I havent even seen many EVOS through there lately, and you are driving the s2K - so I dont think thats considered a meet.

Im sorry if you think we look out of place, and I understand that the neon may not seem to be everyones taste - if everyone had the same taste in cars the world would be boring and we would all be driving the same car. We just go there to chill, just like everyone else does. We have our cars in common and we just chill and usually check out the other cars up there.

On a side note, I wouldnt consider my car rice by any standards (nor would I boast that its the fastest car out there). There are many fast SRT-4's in the area. Personally, Im getting married in June and dont have the money to pour into the car as I would like. Oh well, thats life - theres more to life than cars and money. Anything that is done to my car will be for performance/handling/etc, not in vinyls or decoration. I have my plans for the car, but just have to wait for the funds.

As for the FWD comment, you are 100% right. That is the WORST thing about this car, trying to hook up or launch. I looked into an EVO initially, as I had purchased 2 cars (2003 Dodge Stratus R/T for my fiance @ 24k and the SRT-4 for 22K out the door). My fiance loves the EVO, and she first saw them in person when yours was up at Starbucks. However, it was financially better for us to go this route with two versus one car. Like I said before, I have no reason to hate on any other car - and your car is very nice.

I just wanted to clear this up so you dont think that the SRT-4 drivers up there are dicks or anything, I just go there to chill with my friends and fiance - I have no ego and nothing to prove. By all means, I have respect for your EVO as well, keep up the great work and I cant wait to see it when you have it up at the strip again.

Peace,
nate
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

just to put this out there but the srt-4 will be awd next year...and not to mention u can also get a stage 2 chip they offer.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by housedj
LOL! EVO chick magnet! That will be the day. I don't think there's even a girl on the planet who knows what an EVO is. To them it's just a crappy Mitsubishi with a big wing. If you want a chick magnet buy a Benz or a Lexus.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

I'm suprised no one has said anything about how easy the EVO is to work on.. I've never worked on a SRT-4 but my friend has one.. the turbo is on the back side of the motor and looks like a real PITA to work on. Is this a fair assumption?
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

That is funny. The SRT4 is still a neon? Well, guess what, the Evo is still a Lancer. The women I know would'nt be caught dead in the EVO or the Neon. They'd look at me and say "I thought you were a grown man". LOL
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by justchil
I'm suprised no one has said anything about how easy the EVO is to work on.. I've never worked on a SRT-4 but my friend has one.. the turbo is on the back side of the motor and looks like a real PITA to work on. Is this a fair assumption?
yes and no. Once you get an intake in, it frees up space and makes it easier to get to the turbo after that. just search "mopar bov" on srtforums.com and you will see how annoyed people get with that. It its not the easiest thing, but as with anything - just take your time and do it right and its ok. As for me, im not working on the turbo (besides upgraded wastegate/MBC/3in CAI) until I get the AGP turbo upgrade.

So yes, your assumption is fair - but once you work on the car a few times it becomes easier to work on things.

I dont really consider the EVO or the SRT-4 to be a chick magnet, my fiance likes both - but thats because she always rides in the SRT and has seen several EVOS (that and I talk about cars alot. ha).

peace,
nate
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Kordwood
That is funny. The SRT4 is still a neon? Well, guess what, the Evo is still a Lancer. The women I know would'nt be caught dead in the EVO or the Neon. They'd look at me and say "I thought you were a grown man". LOL
yeah, and the "its still a neon" arguments holds absolutely no water with anything. cars arent a blanket case, and many times a driver makes the difference. i dont think anything of that, just as much as i dont think the EVO "is still a lancer". There are major differences on both, but to someone who has no respect for other cars (and has no facts to back anything up), then they will use those arguments.

I understand people will defend their cars, and I also know there are a fair share of really stupid SRT owners (which gives the rest of us a bad name), but I enjoy most cars that I see - to each his own. I chose to buy my car for an array of reasons, money played into that a bit. Not that I dont have it, but there are other areas I could use the money at this point in my life. I am not inherently wealthy where my parents will give me money to do things either (Again, not that everyone is this way). I work hard for what I do, and it makes me enjoy and appreciate it all the more.

peace,
nate

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs SRT-4 with Stage 3