Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IX vs SRT-4 with Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't understand the point of this thread..

It's just a car!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If I were in your position, I'd go for the evo, but I'm already a little biased towards the evo. I've been in the SRT-4 and while it was an incredible machine, it will still be plagued by the problems of a FWD. I had a pro driver driving and even he couldn't help but have some wheel spin, and this was on a stock car. Imagine driving it with 300 hp, you'd either go through tires like no ones business, need a new clutch/transmission regularly, or go all out and get huge, wide, R-compound tires and a racing clutch. Handling should also play a key role in your decision, remember your gonna have to drive it on the street, which means avoiding pedestrians, other cars, driving in the rain/snow etc..
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
If I were in your position, I'd go for the evo, but I'm already a little biased towards the evo. I've been in the SRT-4 and while it was an incredible machine, it will still be plagued by the problems of a FWD. I had a pro driver driving and even he couldn't help but have some wheel spin, and this was on a stock car. Imagine driving it with 300 hp, you'd either go through tires like no ones business, need a new clutch/transmission regularly, or go all out and get huge, wide, R-compound tires and a racing clutch. Handling should also play a key role in your decision, remember your gonna have to drive it on the street, which means avoiding pedestrians, other cars, driving in the rain/snow etc..
good post
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I still want an SRT-4 though, since it doesn't look like the evo is gonna be up here anytime soon. From my 30 seconds with it (it was at the chrysler gold medal tour) it was really cool, loud, but definitely an enthusiasts car. Seemed to drift really well too, the driver was able to throw it into a good 10 second drift around a wide u-turn.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

ditto to that..

I didn't get an SRT-4 for the same reasons.

- I had already had a fwd turbo car with traction issues
- It rains/snows here a lot
- Mountains & Twisties
- Less upgrades were needed on the EVO to make me happy
- There are already a lot of srt4's around...
- More mod choices for the EVO
Old Apr 12, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

I recently had the displeasure of driving an SRT-4 for 8 hours on a trip to a supplier. The SRT definitely has speed for $20K but it ends there. The seats are very uncomfortable, the braking is not terrible but not as good as the EVO. The traction is not good at all in dry or wet. Handling was a joke. The suspension was soft and yet it was still obnoxious enough to know its stiffer than the normal Neon, but without a great handling feel. If all you have is $20K to spend then buy an SRT-4 ...... But if you have the cash and want the ultimate in speed and handling and the total package, buy the EVO, you will not be dissapointed.

If you have never driven an EVO, you may think the SRT is nice. But once you taste the EVO, you can't get enough. It's like having sex for the first time. Once you get it, you need it.

Last edited by BRKENG; Apr 12, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

having never driven an evo, I can't compare the two other than the fact that it depends on the amount of money you have. I do, however own an srt-4 and love it. If you have plenty of cash then go with the evo, its obviously the better platform for handling at least (I would have to give the edge to the srt-4 in drag racing). If you have just enough money to get the evo and nothing left for mods then I would probably suggest an srt-4. People forget to mention that the srt-4 is about 200 lbs lighter than an evo as well.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

so let me understand what you said (you would give the edge to the ASSRT4 in drag racing) maybe the edge of a clef.

Last edited by EVIL MR; Apr 14, 2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

After drivng the SRT-4 I would NEVER give the edge to the SRT-4. Even stock. My butt dynomometer told me that one. I only have about $1200 in mods into my EVO too. Greddy e-01 BC : Greddy e-manage : Blitz intake : Turbo XS racing Bypass Valve.
Too much slip/hop in front tires vs 4 wheel traction.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

tell him about it
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVIL MR
so let me understand what you said (you would give the edge to the ASSRT4 in drag racing) maybe the edge of a clef.
please refer to cockiest owners thread and vote for yourself

i know i know, how dare anyone suggest a car other than an evo.....

both cars are nice man, drive em both and see what you like best. evaluate every aspect including initial cost of car, common problems, and costs of upgrades/etc. evaluate both cars and then make your decision. asking on an evo forum only gives responses like the guy above (evo is GOD type mentality) - however, you would probably get the same type of responses if you went to an SRT forum. ultimately, its your call and you have specific goals.

good luck man.

peace,
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

ha ha i forgot to laugh
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVIL MR
ha ha i forgot to laugh

its a good thing, there wasnt any humor intended by the post
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

wow you are a bright one ............aren't you??
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

well my 2 cents......fwd is usualy not as good for road racing drag racing, snow rain... ect. But it does usualy get better gas milage. I know a handfull fo poeple that owen both. I am not a huge dodge fan but they did put togeither a nice car (minus the wing see fwd) But i have seen more problems withe srt-4 in the group of people that i know. and there is also a huge price difference. I would go evo....... if yo uahve the extra loot and don't care to spend it.

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs SRT-4 with Stage 3