Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO IX vs SRT-4 with Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so they made a car that give the OTHER kids peace so they can hear the bov
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

I had an honest 8 hour drive of the SRT-4. I gave it a fair drive. I would like to think as being an automotive engineer, I can evaluate a car technically and unbiased. I started my drive in rain/wet. The SRT felt a bit uneasy on a ramp and during acceleration. The EVO isn't super in rain either, with the Advans. However ,with all seasons I am sure the AWD will prove superior, whether its a WRX, STI or EVO or Forrester or BMW X5 or BMW 330iX or Audi S4. Sorry but no one can dispute this, SRT-4's biggest killer is the FWD. You can argue till your blue in the face..........

I am not trying to sway anyone toward an EVO I could give a crap, but I get the feeling someone is giving the SRT-4 a bit more credit than it deserves. Regardless of cost, if you have never driven either car you can't say either way. I have however driven both a fair bit EVO 12200 Miles : SRT-4 420 Miles. I can say that after drivng the SRT-4, I was fatigued, my back hurt and I was not thrilled with the buzz in my ears from the droning exhaust. The suspension felt soft, and didn't feel real responsive to what I am used to. The brakes I am very familiar with, the company I work for supplies them(TRW). They are our standard calipers and rotors except the caliper is painted red. The pedal feel was acceptable and the stroke of the pedal wasn't objectionable. But when I stomped on it, I didn't get that feeeling like I could stop in time to make that 50 MPH turn if you get my drift (no pun intended). As stated earlier for $20K , it's a great value. But I didn't get that feeling like ...wow this car is a killer!

I am sorry, but this has nothing to do with whether I own an EVO or not, it's my engineering evaluation. I have driven many cars, and of the $20K cars I would say that....yes the SRT-4 is the best in its price range. If cost is a huge issue than an SRT-4 is your car. But I honestly think now that the EVO is around $35K that the EVO is in a different class. Likewise that a BMW M3 is $50K, it too is in a different class.

However if you would like to ask an SRT-4 to do the same road manuevers as an EVO, you would need to spend close to $10 or $15K to get the SRT to have an LSD rear, active center, and better brakes( I hate to say that but you can't beat Brembos)

I have also considered buying an SRT-4 as my second car, but after driving it, I would rather have a WRX.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVIL MR
so they made a car that give the OTHER kids peace so they can hear the bov
because we all know its all about the BOV, that is a great performance enhancer. last i checked, recirculating BOVs werent as loud and actually served a purpose.

anyone can turbo a honda and add one if they wanted, your argument is extremely flawed.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

if it is y are you still typing
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

I hate the Mopar BOV (i think that's the one)

There is a red srt4 around here.. If he see's me no matter what I'm doing (pumping gas etc..) he will rev up his card 3 or 4 times so I can hear his freaking awesome BOV.

I'm pretty sure the car is stock other than that.. I can't tell who drives it because they are so leaned back in the seat.. it's a miracle they can even see the road.

I can't wait to catch him at a stop light or on the interstate
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BRKENG
I had an honest 8 hour drive of the SRT-4. I gave it a fair drive. I would like to think as being an automotive engineer, I can evaluate a car technically and unbiased. I started my drive in rain/wet. The SRT felt a bit uneasy on a ramp and during acceleration. The EVO isn't super in rain either, with the Advans. However ,with all seasons I am sure the AWD will prove superior, whether its a WRX, STI or EVO or Forrester or BMW X5 or BMW 330iX or Audi S4. Sorry but no one can dispute this, SRT-4's biggest killer is the FWD. You can argue till your blue in the face..........

I am not trying to sway anyone toward an EVO I could give a crap, but I get the feeling someone is giving the SRT-4 a bit more credit than it deserves. Regardless of cost, if you have never driven either car you can't say either way. I have however driven both a fair bit EVO 12200 Miles : SRT-4 420 Miles. I can say that after drivng the SRT-4, I was fatigued, my back hurt and I was not thrilled with the buzz in my ears from the droning exhaust. The suspension felt soft, and didn't feel real responsive to what I am used to. The brakes I am very familiar with, the company I work for supplies them(TRW). They are our standard calipers and rotors except the caliper is painted red. The pedal feel was acceptable and the stroke of the pedal wasn't objectionable. But when I stomped on it, I didn't get that feeeling like I could stop in time to make that 50 MPH turn if you get my drift (no pun intended). As stated earlier for $20K , it's a great value. But I didn't get that feeling like ...wow this car is a killer!

I am sorry, but this has nothing to do with whether I own an EVO or not, it's my engineering evaluation. I have driven many cars, and of the $20K cars I would say that....yes the SRT-4 is the best in its price range. If cost is a huge issue than an SRT-4 is your car. But I honestly think now that the EVO is around $35K that the EVO is in a different class. Likewise that a BMW M3 is $50K, it too is in a different class.

However if you would like to ask an SRT-4 to do the same road manuevers as an EVO, you would need to spend close to $10 or $15K to get the SRT to have an LSD rear, active center, and better brakes( I hate to say that but you can't beat Brembos)

I have also considered buying an SRT-4 as my second car, but after driving it, I would rather have a WRX.
finally, someone with a decent and level headed explanation with experience to back up their argument. I appreciate your review, not that I agree with everything, but it is still appreciated. At least its not like EVIL MR who thinks they are unbeatable hands down.

it doesnt take that much money to fix up the suspension in the car to help it handle. not that it handles like an evo, but i admit the stock suspension blows. my old stratus RT handled better than the SRT.

i have had both seats, SAB and viper inspired. I prefer the viper inspired and they dont hurt my back at all (im just a skinny guy). Also, the exhaust is not overpowering by any means if you ask me. I am not sold on the 2 pipes as its not necessary, but its not loud or overbearing in the city or highway for me. Again, this is a preference issue - not a flaw.

Anyway, thanks for the review...

peace,
nate
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

iustchil the same thing happens to me when my car in parked and i am not even in it . like i got to run to the house get the keys and race his assrt4
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by justchil
I hate the Mopar BOV (i think that's the one)

There is a red srt4 around here.. If he see's me no matter what I'm doing (pumping gas etc..) he will rev up his card 3 or 4 times so I can hear his freaking awesome BOV.

I'm pretty sure the car is stock other than that.. I can't tell who drives it because they are so leaned back in the seat.. it's a miracle they can even see the road.

I can't wait to catch him at a stop light or on the interstate
the mopar BOV is the cheapest BOV for the SRT, and it works with all staged upgrades and can hold boost well. I had one previously, but upgraded to the HKS SSQV with a new upper pressure pipe and blocked off the stock surge valve. However, im not one that drives around revving up my car at anyone...im not in high school anymore, it doesnt appeal to me.

however, we do have quite a few evos that like to rev their BOV - again, it goes both ways.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I just think it's funny..

Nothing against the neon was intended.. Just some real dork *** ****'s drive them around here.

I've only seen 2-3 EVO's around here and NONE will even acknowledge me when I wave and honk at them.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

i have never said that the evo is unbeatable . read the top ! so you say lets put 650whp assrt4 and a stock evo in a drag race and see who will win ? the assrt4 will win . that what most of all thread start assrt4 with this and that and stock evo who will win . or assrt4 with stage 3 and stock evo who will win i have never seen a thread that say assrt4 and an evo both stock or both with 300 or 400 ect who will win the EVOOOOOOOOOOO WILL.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NavyEVO82
I'm pondering the idea of the SRT4 with a stage 3 turbo upgrade instead of the EVO, just checking it out at this point- the srt4 would out well over 300hp....Obviously the handling would suck compared to the EVO, any opinions on this?
Get the Evo. True Srt4 with a turbo upgrade is sick. But power is nothing without control.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:19 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVIL MR
i have never said that the evo is unbeatable . read the top ! so you say lets put 650whp assrt4 and a stock evo in a drag race and see who will win ? the assrt4 will win . that what most of all thread start assrt4 with this and that and stock evo who will win . or assrt4 with stage 3 and stock evo who will win i have never seen a thread that say assrt4 and an evo both stock or both with 300 or 400 ect who will win the EVOOOOOOOOOOO WILL.
please try this post again in english.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

now you got me
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

that the only race that you will win
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member