Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GSC 272in/264ex cams installed and ACT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey matt, the sounds and the feel of the clutch(when its cold) is normal, my bro has an ACT clutch, and when he first installed it, he had to warm it up. Not to worry...but yeah, i'll be going to the Shootout this weekend and i'll let u know how it went with "The DeepSpot".
Im also goin on the 30th, to do some "stuff" to my car. But anyway, hope to see u soon up there!

p.s. what kind of beer was it that u brought over? im feenin' for it!!
Im also thinking of getting some GSC cams, along with a new turbo(16G ported and titanium wheel)...i really liked those cams.

Last edited by gonzstarr; Apr 13, 2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far all the dyno #s I've seen with these GSC cams tend to be higher than the HKSs with the same mods. The 03-04s usually dyno around 325whp with basic mods and HKS cams. The 05s with the 10.5 hotside dyno around 340whp. Why are the 03-04s getting #s like they have a 10.5 hotside? I wonder what a 05 with a 10.5 hotside would do with these cams. I think I might have to ditch the HKSs and find out.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

i might do the same!!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 06:53 AM

I know with some tuning the car will idle better but honestly i don't believe the GSC are same specs as the HKS something got to be different.Maybe the lift and duration are thye same but there other factors involved in here we don't know yet.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

possible to get a sound clip of the idle?...im also concerned about the idle but i might have to sacrifice that for some good power...
Old Apr 13, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I heave read people with the 272's that are running just the K&N dropin having no issues. It's those with an aftermarket intake pipe that are having the problems. My guess is with a 272i maybe the best solution is a good tune and stock airbox w/ a dropin filter?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

is the idle so bad that it just stalls out??? or sweeps back and forth over 800rpms or more??? I dunno what the issue is with the idle... all the Evo's i've seen and heard with 272's and no cam gears have a lop'd idle, but it's not like they're just dying out at traffic lights, in the driveway, or pulling up to stop signs... maybe ppl are that concerned with emissions??? and all it takes is a blip of the throttle to pull out (like you would anyways...lol)... I personally will love every minute of my car lop'n... if i lived in a really really strict emissions state, i'd prolly just swap in the stockers before being smogged just to be on the safe side... but, 272/264 for me soon...

good results man...
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:33 AM

thanks to all!! I am really happy with these cams and they are highly recommended by me..Hell they are even made right here in my home state of SC...I also prefer the 272/264 setup as i have for quite some time now...Doug you told them again...I think I can make it down on the 30th if thats cool...I wouldnt mind tryinga FMIC and some injectors...Oh and race gas....

As for the idle, it stays consistent at 900RPMs, no drop or anything, Its just lopey and down right MEAN sounding!Me likey

Gonz, the beer is Sweetwater Blue and is scarce in these parts...maybe I can become the distributor real soon...hint

Let me know the results bro as I think I am gonna stay in town to race the kart

Cash Money...thanks man...and do what you can to get these cams now, I waited to long, I have wanted cams for over a yr now, but now, well you know...
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Evoego, what do you have the cams set to?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hopefully we will see a GSC vs. HKS dyno compare on the same car soon.

Despite lift & or listed duration being similar between the 2 brands, the power characteristic is also defined by ramp rate of the lobe.

The GSC's sound like the real deal.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoego

As for the idle, it stays consistent at 900RPMs, no drop or anything, Its just lopey and down right MEAN sounding!Me likey

Cash Money...thanks man...and do what you can to get these cams now, I waited to long, I have wanted cams for over a yr now, but now, well you know...
they're def in my near future plans... hehe... damned income-tax refund needs to get here with the quickness... 272/264 GSC's are my plan... see... i love that lop'y idle too... it's awesome... maybe it's the old hessian muscle car fan in my veins, dunno... as long as there's no stalling issues, which i've yet to see, it's all good in my eyes... that's good there's power all around.... that's what i want... plus i imagine they did a good job waking up the top-end too???
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

the idle alone is just mean, i have 264s and the idle is not really that lopey. but again, diferent set up and i have hks. u could definately tune the idle, but its not affecting anything.

matt, hell yes, i'd buy that beer off u if u became distributor...soooo good! Im gonna see if they have it here in Ft Stewart.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
Evoego, what do you have the cams set to?
Actually there is no cam gears being used....There is room to play with for sure, No FMIC,injectors,and only 20psi...Also these cams sound incredible and I believe seem to be a little louder than the HKS...I made the right choice, bottom line.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by gonzstarr
the idle alone is just mean, i have 264s and the idle is not really that lopey. but again, diferent set up and i have hks. u could definately tune the idle, but its not affecting anything.

matt, hell yes, i'd buy that beer off u if u became distributor...soooo good! Im gonna see if they have it here in Ft Stewart.
I know the beer rocks, The next time I am down we will get a sixer of all there kinds(5 I think) and work on some cars...They actually have one called Georgia Brown Sugar as well...lol...

AS for someone suggesting the comparison of HKS, I would be glad to use my car for the test if a certain friend of mine is willing to help me take them out and use his dyno...hmmm...Gonz would prob be willing to let us use his HKS 264s since he is looking for more power...in other words you can try mine if you like on the same day...I am sure another guy with the hks 272s would be down as well...we will see...I am just happy with the overall result, but damn I want to look for more power already as well...where are you at tax return?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

hmm well those are some great numbers. What mods again? And what gas? Also, what did they use to tune?