Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Get This Thing Off My Car!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup.....heat gun or hair dryer should do...........just soften it up and it should peel right off.

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/det...6386650-1.html
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
sand blaster and a back hoe.
I lol'd!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

i took it off because i dont like it at all. Goes half way up the hood and then stops

it had surface scratches that wouldnt come out too. I just pulled it off like you would any vinyl or decal and it was a pain in the bum bum. Left some adhesive ont he paint that i scraped off with my thumb.

....but i got goo-gone ALLLLLLLLLLLLL over my headlight and now its ruined. Anyone wanna sell me one?
Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:43 PM

Can someone post of pic of what one of these clear bras looks like on an Evo?
Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:48 PM

yeah I suggest you keep th clear bra. Its a great against rock chips
Old Apr 12, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sap12687
i took it off because i dont like it at all. Goes half way up the hood and then stops

it had surface scratches that wouldnt come out too. I just pulled it off like you would any vinyl or decal and it was a pain in the bum bum. Left some adhesive ont he paint that i scraped off with my thumb.

....but i got goo-gone ALLLLLLLLLLLLL over my headlight and now its ruined. Anyone wanna sell me one?
I can't believe you removed it. That was so dumb. Now, instead of scratches in your clear bra, you'll get scratches/dings in your paint. All clear bras go only part way up the hood, because the hood is mostly flat and therefore not subject to as much head-on damage from particles/debris/rocks/bugs.

Damaging a headlight to remove it was certainly not worth removing it...
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty mixed on the clear bra really. I like the concept, as my 03 ended up with TONS of chips on the hood, but they just don't look as good as paint that's in good shape. So...I can either have a car that looks great for 6-12 months, then have to get the front repainted, or I can have a car that looks pretty good for a long time. When I got my 05 MR, I've decided to go without again, but I wouldn't mind one on the bumper..but I do hate them part way up the hood. A guy where I work has that done, and I'm not a fan...but I don't think it's the worst idea either. So, to the clear bra fans...I dig your viewpoint, but to say that it's anywhere as nice looking as a front end that's in good shape w/out one..well, I disagree. In a year, I'll probably wish I had gotten one though as the clear bra people will have a better looking nose than I do...
Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Im not sure if I would rather have chips in the paint or the clear bra.

I would rather have them in the bra but I think that looks as bad as in the paint and dont really see the difference in having chips in either is going to look bad. But one way you have a clear line going across the hood. Touch up paint doesnt look good but it is an option. If the bra gets real chipped up and you take it off I think the paint will look worse then with a few chips.

Hmm, Im not real sure how I feel about these
Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

I personally think the Clear bra's are a good idea, yeah they might be a little pricey but it is worth it in the long run.
What is stoping you from installing a new piece if it is damaged.
I would rather have a new piece of clear bra to replace as apposed to trying to get a respray to match, at least then by replacing the clear bra you still have the original paint, just get a whole piece for the hood, or does the Engine heat cause a problem?
Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i shure could have used that stuff on other parts of my car. like my side skirts and around the rear wheels. rocks and sand eats at the finish like a champ. oh well...its not like someone hasnt keyed my car.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

for functionality...it gets an A. It did what it was supposed to do.

for looks......C This is a car i drive during the summer and thats about it. Id be much more concerned if i drove this thing every day to and from work on the freeway. I'd like to think i can afford to keep it off. Looks much cleaner and you get the tarmac shine you paid for.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mdosu
installation price for it is crazy...
It is a bit pricey, but I think you really get what you pay for. I've see people who had it done for about 3-400 and the workmanship is really bad.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

leave it on...if i showed you my hood you would with out a doubt leave it on. for the price of having my hood re-painted i am just going to but a oem style carbon fiber hood