Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

gauge mounting frustration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge mounting frustration

I'm looking for a tear drop style gauge holder that can be mounted on the dash, just to the right of the a-pillar. I am NOT interested in an a-pillar gauge pod. Both my DINS are being used for audio so I had to remove the Mitsubishi sports gauge cluster with boost, oil temp and volts. I would like to mount the 46mm OEM boost gauge somewhere in my line of site but NOT on the a-pillar and NOT on the steering column. Please help my if you can!
Old Apr 13, 2005, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

anybody?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of doing something similar. I was thinking more towards putting a boost gauge on the column over the "lancer" light, and then making a bracket for 2 gauges that would hang between the steering wheel and the center bezel. Of course, this is all in my head at the moment, but a similar idea. Persoanlly, I dont want to mount anything on top of the IP or on the a-pilar....just becasue theives and police tend to notice them MUCH easier.

As far as custom mounting pieces, you can just get a gauge cup and mount it on top of the dash. Some of the carbon ones look cool. If you want more style, or dont want to permanently affix the gauge to the panel, I would make a custom bracket or cover out of fiberglass or equivalent and then use 2-sided tape that wont permanently bond (dont know how long you can leave it on before this happens). Its not as difficult as it sounds. Top left panel is difficult to mount to becasue there isnt much hardware to work with. You got a few options depending on how much you want to hack up the IP.

Good luck man. I too am frustrated by the lack of mounting locations.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Mercenary...My first idea was also to put the OEM boost gauge in the slot on the gauge cluster that says "Lancer". However after looking closer it looks like there are a couple dummy lights in there...check engine, ABS, SRS, etc...so I could see it becoming a little complicated.

I'll keep looking for something that will hold that little 46mm stock boost gauge. Double-sided tape is a great idea. By the way, what is the "IP"?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

well what you should do is create a way to remove that airbag cover and affix a custom 3 gauge pod in there. passengers? fck passengers, they dont need an airbag as much as I need a EGT gauge
Old Apr 30, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I found these products made by HKS for their 46mm gauges. I have no idea if anybody has been able to get the OEM boost gauge to work with it. Maybe I'll be the first to try.

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/1334.jpg

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/1368.jpg

Last edited by Steiner; Apr 30, 2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash C/F 3 gauge pod OK ?
Attached Thumbnails gauge mounting frustration-dash-pod-finally.jpg  
Old May 1, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by value
Dash C/F 3 gauge pod OK ?
That's not too bad. Did you make that yourself or does one of the vendors sell it?
Old May 1, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

if you get a Defi BF boost gauge you can use the gauge cup they provide.....its what I used

pic:

Old May 6, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

qbbraveheart...that looks very clean. Nice job. 2 questions...how much did the Defi gauge/pod cost and where did you run the line(s) coming off the back of the gauge?
Old May 7, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

the gauge pod came in the box with the gauge
the Defi BF gauges are electrical and require the control unit(located under my cubby hole..see pic)the vacuum hookup is in the engine bay along with the sending unit and then the wire is run thru the firewall and into the cockpit to the back of my control unit
I then took the hookup wire connected it to the back of the control unit and ran it under the dashboard(zip-tied it out of the way) and all the way to the left and when I couldnt go no more(when I had to go up) I just put the wire in between the dash and the weatherstripping
theres only 1 line coming off the back of the gauge