Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

State taxes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
State taxes

hey guys, i was wondering if i brought a car from colorado (with colorado plates) to texas, how much would the state taxes be to change the plates? or where could i find out
Old Apr 13, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think first you have to get an inspection and proof of Texas insurance. To what I here, insurance in Texas is like the 4th highest in the states. Then you got to the local tax office and pay the sales tax for that area based on the value of your car. I am military so I really don't know much about Texas but it seems to be between 6.25-8.25%. I bought my evo here but could claim it as Pennsylvania, also keeping PA insurance.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you register your Evo under your name in Texas at the license buearu and get your new plates, that's when you pay your taxes...

Here in Ohio they ask for official sales receipt of car. I've heard of ppl cheating by having some kind of fake sales slip for cheaper price so they pay less taxes and stuff...not that' I'm endorsing it...but stuff like that happens.

my dad gave his car to a friend...so his friend basically paid no taxes on it...but it was legit, he really gave it to him..lol

I def dont' suggest using the other guy's old colorado tags...if you get caught with that stuff like a month after the sale...the cops might show no mercy...plus you have insurance stuff to deal with and all..
Old Apr 13, 2005, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the place where you get your plates will ask what you paid for it and your taxes will be based on that. you can just tell them $1000, for all they know it had a blown motor, was wrecked, or you bought it from your cousin
Old Apr 15, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

do you think its a good idea to say that? or am i taking a big chance by saying i paid a lot less than what im really paying?