Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Importing an Older Evo Model

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bahamut
^^^^^^^^^^

Personally, I think you are spreading misinfomation that it's somehow easy to smuggle and legalify (just made up the word) it. When Motorex first started to import skylines, there were so many rumors monger that xyz company can send one over at fraction of Motorex's cost. You know what. Those people got conned big time. Money gone and dealer fled to xyz place. Now, Motorex isn't making skylines legal - took a bunch of shortcuts and the gov't found out.
do you know anything? motorex never even legalize skylines they did the dealer plate loop hole so every year or whatever the skyline owners would need to come back and get a new plate but the car was never legal. YOU are the one spreading misinformation sorry bro but i know a lot more about importing/legalizing evos the you and most peeps for that matter since i have made 2 full conversions on my own and looked into importing evos serverl,serveral,several, times over the last 5 years.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mphevo
that doesnt mean anything you dont ahve to get federal compliance to import a car are you jokin me? lol u dont need petitions or nothing like that there are other ways yes that is one but there are others let me list them for you

race/show car
military
collectors car
kit car
petition
vin swap
someone from another country brings it in for you and sells it to you
bring the car in for 2 years then send it back but i think that applies to the race/show rule

i did not say all of these ways are legal but that is a way to legalize a car. isnt it ironic that some people would do something illegal to legalize there car? lol

oh and westside i think we need to clear some stuff up with everyone now when we say "street legal" that does not mean registration and title. we are talking about EPA, OBD, etc if you go through EI will you be able to drive the car on the street any time you want? yes will you be able to get insurance? yes (well depends if they wanna insure you if you have a bad record or whatever) will it pass emissions? maybe will you ever get in trouble by authorities for having it? no.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

A salesman at my mitsubishi dealer has a 530whp Evo V. I know he imported it here. It is right hand drive. Car is sick!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

ya is it silver, and have a flame thrower kit, is it a tall white guy?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:31 AM

Old Apr 16, 2005, 08:37 AM

Heres a little info on legalizing cars. This is the business that I am in

First you need to bring a car in through a RI (Registered Importer) or ICI (Independent Commercial Importer). Otherwise most likely customs will seize it.
There are many states with loopholes. You can make skylines, evo's, etc "state legal" but they are not federalized. There are tons of cars in the states driven daily using this loophole. They have gotten tickets, into accidents and etc. Specialty Insurance is also recommended.

As for Motorex. They actually legalized/Federalized some cars and let a lot go through with dealer plates. Motorex was a Registered Importer and they used a ICI to do all the EPA work for them.

Mitsu is doing everything in there power to keep ICI's and RI's from bringing EVO's into the states. So having a EVO federalized would mean for us to crash test quite a few of them. Anything post 1995 must have OBDII also.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

or u can just wait 25 years and bring the evo in lol. **** the evo 3 is only like 12 years or so old
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:21 PM

MIVO what cars have you legalized/federalized?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

zero but i have done my research, what u think you could import an evo 5 for me?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW somebody has a red Evo V or VI in Chicago. I saw it once up on Sheridan Road.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mivo
zero but i have done my research, what u think you could import an evo 5 for me?
Getting one in through a loophole has been done before...
Old Apr 17, 2005, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

ya and plenty of times u wanna hook me up wit a jdm evo lol oh and guys just food for thought just because you see a car that looks like an older gen evo doesnt mean it is, there are 100's of evo conversions running around the states, including myself