Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

do I have a chance? my co-worker challenged me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to say this because I hate mustangs......
But you will most likely lose if he knows what he is doing.
You should make a deal that if you race him in a straight line at the track, then he has to race you for time trials on a road course....
It's only fair.

Remember our car was originally designed for rally racing, a side effect of this was the ability to go relatively quick in a straight line so you didn't lose time after that slide through the hair pin.

I would get a Greddy e-Manage and Greddy e-01 BC and tune the **** out of your car. You might stand a chance in a 1/4 mile. A wideband O2 and A/F meter would help tremendously in addition.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
He put a smaller pully on his blower, thus spinning it faster and making more boost. I think he will be very fast, even though his car is gay.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:58 AM
Account Disabled

If you are tuned the BEST you can hope for is a 108MPH Trap MAYBE 109MPH. Unfortunately the Cobra traps above 110MPH Stock, and he should be around 116MPh now, you gona lose.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's not hard to beat that Cobra:
-Get some cams and tune that car!
-Get a nice twin-disk clutch that won't give up those precious few nanoseconds that give you the jump on launch.
-Always race from a dig and have confidence in your driving.

Or, you can try and ask him to go to a track that's got at least one turn

FWIW, last weekend I ran an 03 Cobra that claimed to do 11s on DR. First run I let off after second gear because he was about 5-6 cars back. The crowd went wild. He turn around and asked for more. Second launch I put about 3 cars in front of him and kept it until around 100-110, at which point he starts to reel me back in. But the crowd didn't see that and they went absolutely nuts because I was already putting on my brake. hehe. His ego was trampled on the whole night an I don't know what happened the week after. I did not post anything about it but you should see the rumors that went on at the local racing forums. I don't kow what's better, beating an 03 Cobra or saying nothing and let the people goes nutty with their sstory about that one faithful night when a lit'l yellow Evo rolled into town and blew away the president of the Mustang Racing Club :P
Old Apr 15, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackevoVII
You guys are on crack. This cobra will eat you alive. Good luck. Save embarassment and run from 0-60, after that, you stand no chance.
Hehe, I had that exact conversation with a friend when an obviously modded Cobra pulled up next to me this weekend. You will be pwn3d!
Evolved Member

Just tell him you want to race for 60 feet. You should be around 1.7-1.8 with a great launch!
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lnason
Here are my mods

Buschur Racing 3" Downpipe
Buschur Racing 3" High-flow Cat
Buschur Racing 3" Cat-back exhaust
Buschur Racing High-flow intake filter
Buschur Racing High-flow intake pipe
Buschur Racing High-flow Upper Intercooling Piping w/ 1st Gen DSM Blow Off Valve
Buschur Racing Mini-Battery Kit
RMR Cold Air Carbon Fiber Hood Scoop
Hyper Grounding Kit
Hallman Remote cabin mechanical Boost Controller
Apexi Super Air Fuel Computer II

My co-worker has a year 2003 mustang cobra and he says his mods are
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 1:40 PM
Subject: Are you down?

> Larry
> My mods are 2.76 BilletFlow upper pulley w/ 4 idlers, Magnaflow Cat Back, K&N FIPK Gen II, MGW shifter, DiabloSport Predator tune.
> Let me know...

^^^^^^^^

How well can I do and are anybody familiar with the name of the mods he listed, any input let me know please! thanks in advance.
You will get smoked. BADLY.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
It's not hard to beat that Cobra:
-Get some cams and tune that car!
-Get a nice twin-disk clutch that won't give up those precious few nanoseconds that give you the jump on launch.
-Always race from a dig and have confidence in your driving.

Or, you can try and ask him to go to a track that's got at least one turn

FWIW, last weekend I ran an 03 Cobra that claimed to do 11s on DR. First run I let off after second gear because he was about 5-6 cars back. The crowd went wild. He turn around and asked for more. Second launch I put about 3 cars in front of him and kept it until around 100-110, at which point he starts to reel me back in. But the crowd didn't see that and they went absolutely nuts because I was already putting on my brake. hehe. His ego was trampled on the whole night an I don't know what happened the week after. I did not post anything about it but you should see the rumors that went on at the local racing forums. I don't kow what's better, beating an 03 Cobra or saying nothing and let the people goes nutty with their sstory about that one faithful night when a lit'l yellow Evo rolled into town and blew away the president of the Mustang Racing Club :P
Ugh, you're killing me. Reminds me of the night I went to the local country-road drag meet and lined up against a 95 Supra with mods while in my small 16g Talon. I rocked him hard off the line and stayed several car lengths ahead until applying the brakes, but he claimed I left early, so we went again. 2nd time, I surely didn't leave early but jumped out hard again with the sound of ripping rubber behind me. This one I won by 4-5 car lengths with no worries whatsoever of him catching up. Afterwards, he came up and said, "Man, that's a fast car. I have a 150 shot and still couldn't get you." My guess is he got nervous and tried to spray in 1st, which totally killed him, and since we weren't going more than 1/4-mile, he didn't have time to catch me.

I'm sure that from a roll, I would have been dust, but that didn't matter to the 100-or-so spectators!
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:10 PM

well dammit!! i raced him and im embarassed to say that I lost

****!

can somebody please tell me what I would need to do to beat him? I ALMOST HAD HIM he had about 2 car lengths or so but in the beginning I thought I was going to win. we went from a stop and from a 40 MPH roll I was murdered in the 40 MPH roll but from a dead stop I thought I was gonna beat him but then next thing I know SWOOOSH he passes me!!

what should my next mods be so I can beat him from a roll and from a dig?? can someone please give me an estimate on how much it would cost. im mad because he talks real big and I really thought I could beat him and shut his mouth but that is my goal and i will no matter what. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

you will need a biiger turbo kit w/ all the supporting mods, probably at least 3-4k for a decent kit. but would it matter, he could then go and spend a few more grand on his car and still be faster. dont waste your money, there will always be someone faster than you.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lnason
well dammit!! i raced him and im embarassed to say that I lost

can somebody please tell me what I would need to do to beat him? I ALMOST HAD HIM he had about 2 car lengths or so but in the beginning I thought I was going to win. we went from a stop and from a 40 MPH roll I was murdered in the 40 MPH roll but from a dead stop I thought I was gonna beat him but then next thing I know SWOOOSH he passes me!!

what should my next mods be so I can beat him from a roll and from a dig?? can someone please give me an estimate on how much it would cost. im mad because he talks real big and I really thought I could beat him and shut his mouth but that is my goal and i will no matter what. Thanks in advance.
Hey, man, don't sweat it. Your car isn't supposed to keep up with that thing. It has more horsepower in stock form than you can get without lots of mods. Then, to keep up with him in modded form, you have to start going to big-time mods like an upgraded turbo, tubular exh manifold, sheet metal intake manifold, big injectors, engine management, etc. We're talking big money (compared to BPU) for both parts and service as well as a radically increased chance for problems, whether it be engine or drivetrain.

Depending on how far you raced (or to what speed), I think that you being ahead of him for a while and only losing by 2 car lengths is just fine. He probably has 100-120 more whp than you do, so you shouldn't let it bother you. Your car is awesome and can still destroy the Cobra in anything with turns.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

so you won from a roll and lost from a dig??? anyway cams,injectors,fuel pump,alky injection he wont be able to touch you, apart from stage 1 that is. you should be close to 380whp(25psi) or maybe more
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

You could buy my cams and Utec and stand alot better chance next time. You would need to find a local tuner to set the Utec up is all. I would also recommend getting alcohol injection or have a race gas map for the Utec.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=133275
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iceman2011
so you won from a roll and lost from a dig??? anyway cams,injectors,fuel pump,alky injection he wont be able to touch you, apart from stage 1 that is. you should be close to 380whp(25psi) or maybe more
^^^ Not true ^^^^

Also, he said he got murdered from a 40mph roll...go read it again.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

my bad. i also thought this mustang was the older one with 320 horses but i re read its a 03 so the 390 horses. that would definately require some upgraded turbo