Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got my 3rd exhaust ticket... help me pick a new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is always the greddy evo2, stock sound on idle, nice and quiet, cant really hear it resonating while inside the car, sounds better at higher rpms, and doesnt stick out past the bumper
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greddy evo2 great sound not to loud but you know it's coming
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by si_eater
i here ya on the northern va cops, there always lookin to make quota, i got the bushur exhaust its real loud, the wierd thing is i havent been pulled over in a while because of exhaust, i drove next to somone with a hks exhaust and his wasnt all that loud, what part of va are you guttin plled over zstryder
Of my 3 exhaust tickets, 2 were on the Dulles Toll Road. I take it to and from work everyday, so I can't help it.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'm starting to think the best option maybe either to:

1) find a shop to weld a magnaflow muffler to my current exhaust, or
2) find a shop to somehow weld my current muffler so that it's straight exit as opposed to angled exit. Unfortunately, my muffler is titanium, so I don't know if that will present any problems while welding?

My guess is that right now it's more the look than the sound - if I contined to get pulled over, then I may be forced to simply buy a new exhaust.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Borla will give you exactly what you're looking for. It has great tone, but is subtle at idle and at higher RPM's. It never gets loud, but it manages to maintain a nice, deep tone. I'm running it with a full turbo-back exhaust, including test pipe and it is still more subtle than most cat-back systems. It also looks clean out the rear, enough so that I have non-Evo educated people telling me they had not idea Borla was the stock exhaust on the Evo. Besides, you can't beat their 100,000 mile warranty!
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

electronic dump valve!!
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:43 AM

Stock muffler modification

Here is your answer.

WORKS StealthWORKS Muffler Exhaust
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Hi,

First, defnitely fight the ticket. Here in MA there probably aren't as many modified cars, but I did get a ticket for Altered Exhaust. This was with Bushur 2.5" Axle back! Anyway, I fought the ticket and the magistrate dismissed it. MA has the same type of law, and the language is something like "modified in a manner to increase sound". This was probably intended for people drilling holes in their exhaust and whatnot.

The magistrate said what I was going to argue: The officer "thought" it was loud, but he had no readings or even anything to compare it to (a stock EVO reading). BTW, is that a moving violation in VA, did it affect "points" on your license?

Check out the NMA for other ticket fighting tips. They mostly have speeding ticket help though:

www.motorists.org

Currently, I'm running the silencer in my Helix and I spray painted the muffler and tip flat black. I think the silencer is choking it off too much, and the backpressure kind of concerns me. People mention that resonators help in this thread, so I may try that. I would paint the thing black anyway, I hate the shiny grapefruit launcher muffler look, so I applaud you for painting the Ti muffler.

Good luck,

FB
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Of my 3 exhaust tickets, 2 were on the Dulles Toll Road. I take it to and from work everyday, so I can't help it.
thats wierd im always goin down that way(goin to mach v) i never get caught their i get caught in manassas and rt 29, i agree with the apexi and the hks i swear its a little louder that stock but not to much(from what i hear driving by and with people with them)
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Apexi World Sport series exhaust....but it has no power...do you have a cat?

btw, I'm willing to buy the JIC off of ya!
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoWrxowner

Doesn't this require you to be running the stock exhaust?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

After looking and reading, I've come to the conclusion that switching to another exhaust isn't going to help. 3" is 3", and they're all going to be somewhat loud. I believe right now the issue lies in the angled look, and the muffler. If I can get rid of the angled look...

Berkel,

As far as I know, the exhaust is equipment violation, so no, not a moving violation. I didn't bother fighting the other two just because it was a pain in the butt, but this is getting out of hand, I may fight it, so that if I win I may never get pulled over for the same thing again.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Berkel,

As far as I know, the exhaust is equipment violation, so no, not a moving violation. I didn't bother fighting the other two just because it was a pain in the butt, but this is getting out of hand, I may fight it, so that if I win I may never get pulled over for the same thing again.
That's cool, probably the same here in MA. The moving violations affect your insurance and hurt much worse...

I strongly recommend that you fight it. It can be a PITA, but it will feel good to win and hopefully prevent the problem going forward.

Good luck!

FB
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:16 AM

Hows the power on the Greddy Evo2.I've been told by Harmann Motive that its the exhaust to have if your concerned about too much noise.does it put down less power than the others
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Rs-r Gt Ii

Quick Reply: Got my 3rd exhaust ticket... help me pick a new exhaust