Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 engine...spot the difference?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHatch
FWIW most cars only have it on the intake side....
Ok, thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

People often confuse Variable Valve Timing with a system like VTEC, which are totally different. Same with Toyota's VVT-i and VVTL-i

VVT-i, MIVEC, and the "i" part of i-VTEC refer to the variation of the intake cam timing, which in turn varies valve timing, relative to the crankshaft. Basically the ECU can make changes just as you change on your adjustable cam gears, but the ECU can do it on the fly, and vary it depending on RPM. This can greatly improve emmisions and power output.

the "L" in VVTL-i and VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control) refers to variable valve LIFT. The Cam Profile can physically be changed, allowing both higher lift and longer duration, which has significant impact on high-RPM power output. Old Honda VTEC motors did not have variable cam timing, only the cam-lobe switching lift changes. The new Honda i-VTEC motors have both, as do the Toyota VVTL-i motors.

- Steve
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODB4G63
I was just wondering because I got the impression that I must be stupid or something when you welcomed me to the 21st century......well maybe you were just refering to the changes in the 4g63.
sorry man, I didn't mean you, I mean the engine technology of the 4G63... as in it's been out of date forever, and it finally got variable cam timing.

Sorry for the confusion...
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:53 AM

sorry man, I didn't mean you, I mean the engine technology of the 4G63... as in it's been out of date forever, and it finally got variable cam timing.

Sorry for the confusion...
It's cool....I just hope that this doesn't cause more of a problem then it is worth. I am sure the aftermarket will find a way to work with it but I guess the 4g63 has been around for such a long time because it is such a great motor with great potential. It will really be interesting to see what they do with the X and if they change to a different powerplant altogether.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

That "area" on each leaf of the clover should be good for about 20-30 total degrees of advancement/retardation. Looks like the setup on the new 4 cyl. Honda engines (- the variable intake valve timing). I wonder if it'll react like my 02 Si did. It would cough through the intake when the engine was cold. When I would step on the gas pedal and let off to shift and get on the gas again, the timing would change, reveert to normal, and then be asked to change again causing a slight misfire. It never did damage, but it sounded strange with an aftermarket open intake. Makes for great low end power though. I may have to trade in the 05 one day.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

I can't see this addition being a bad thing. Once the tuners can crack the Code of the ECU that controls this function we will see some serious improvements in power production. Especially with aftermarket camshafts....
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't see this addition being a bad thing. Once the tuners can crack the Code of the ECU that controls this function we will see some serious improvements in power production. Especially with aftermarket camshafts....

I agree.... my question is how hard would it be to adapt this setup to an older 4g63 setup.

Keith
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I agree.... my question is how hard would it be to adapt this setup to an older 4g63 setup.

Keith
It depends, if the casting of the head hasn't changed significantly, and this is simply a "bolt-on" change, then physically it should be easy to adapt. I am will to bet made it a bolt on change, since changing a cast is expensive, and is cheap

Electronics-wise however, this could get tricky. I'm not even going to venture to pretend that I understand engine management, I'm sure Al, Shiv, the Works crew or even Zeus or MBJack would have something much more useful to say than anything I would babble about
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

^same question

would it be able to work on an evo 7 or 8?
and how hard would it be
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Head swap + electronics maybe.
Headache I'm sure.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't even think a head swap would be needed, as pointed out by SuperHatch Mitsubishi is cheap I already have the AEM EMS.... just wondering how hard it would be to get it to run a variable phase shift of cam timeing.

Keith
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

lol derk you are a bit slow here i beat you on posting this pic
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Variable Intake Cam Timing... welcome to the 21st century Mr. 4G63
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

People often confuse Variable Valve Timing with a system like VTEC, which are totally different. Same with Toyota's VVT-i and VVTL-i

VVT-i, MIVEC, and the "i" part of i-VTEC refer to the variation of the intake cam timing, which in turn varies valve timing, relative to the crankshaft. Basically the ECU can make changes just as you change on your adjustable cam gears, but the ECU can do it on the fly, and vary it depending on RPM. This can greatly improve emmisions and power output.

the "L" in VVTL-i and VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control) refers to variable valve LIFT. The Cam Profile can physically be changed, allowing both higher lift and longer duration, which has significant impact on high-RPM power output. Old Honda VTEC motors did not have variable cam timing, only the cam-lobe switching lift changes. The new Honda i-VTEC motors have both, as do the Toyota VVTL-i motors.

- Steve
thanks Bill Nye
Old Apr 16, 2005, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/E...ormance01.html

get your own photoes there ..
tells you about the cloverleaf and the turbine and compressor and a host of other things

translater services IF you don't know how to read ..

www.tans.org/translater.shtml

Quick Reply: Evo 9 engine...spot the difference?