Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM Fire at Mitsubishi vs Subaru Event...large pics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before you knock that track and staff, check this out. I was told Norwalk was a rundown, old, left to die strip. A guy who thought it deserved a second chance decided to save it and bought it. He redid it into the nice track it is today and made it my favorite track I've been to. Not sure if it's a true story, but I like it. I know what happened sucks, but we don't know the story, so don't just say the guy running the track is an idiot before we hear the truth. JMO

Originally Posted by CrazyIvan1978
Whatever happened to having proper equipment to put out class BRAVO fires at a place were fuel is abundant. Really sorry to see that happen to anyone. Would like to know what kind moron is in charge of the track.

Last edited by Mr.MR; Apr 18, 2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the off topic post, but expl0d, please check your PMs. I've been trying to get ahold of you for almost a week.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr.MR
Before you knock that track and staff, listen up. I was told Norwalk was a rundown, old, left to die strip. A guy who thought it deserved a second chance decided to save it and bought it. He redid it into the nice track it is today and made it my favorite track I've been to. I know what happened sucks, but we don't know the story, so don't just say the guy running the track is an idiot before we hear the truth. JMO
I dont really understand what that has to do with anything....i could build a beautiful and fast car....but with no airbags or seatbelts you wont find me driving it...would you drive a rally car with no roll cage?? would you ride a hyabusa with no helmet??
A race track should have adequate equipment for class B and C fires...and probably class D fires as well althogh those extinguishers contain harsh chemicals

either way, that sucks for the driver and owner...

this is the z06 someone mentioned earlier..apparently it was spraying a wet shot into the intake and the fuel and nitrous pooled up in the manifold and ignited...as you can see, this fire was properly taken care of and a majority of the car can be salvaged

Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Camera in the 1st set of Pics was a Canon Digital Rebel, shot at 120mm focal length.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
No doubt.. look at that first guy with like a 6" extinguisher lol

why didnt he just unzip his pants and start pissing

:shrug:
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOtagger
I dont really understand what that has to do with anything....i could build a beautiful and fast car....but with no airbags or seatbelts you wont find me driving it...would you drive a rally car with no roll cage?? would you ride a hyabusa with no helmet??
A race track should have adequate equipment for class B and C fires...and probably class D fires as well althogh those extinguishers contain harsh chemicals
Exactly right, but instead of blaming the track, why didn't the car have a fire suppression system? IMO, if you're playing with nitrous, you need a fire system.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ also a valid point
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I am of course personal friends with the owners of the race track. They have owned the track since 1965.

Since that time they have NEVER had a fire like this. Also, not sure who from "Buschur Racing" said it was a nitrous fire but they were incorrect and probably repeated what the announcer had said about it.

There was a nitrous back fire. In carburated applications this will generally burn as they are wet open to air systems. In fuel injected systems such as our cars have it is not as common as the fuel is all enclosed.

This car had fire coming from it, in the rear almost immediately after launch. The major portion of the fire was coming from the rear. The car has plastic fuel cell in it, in the rear. Once a fuel cell goes it is nearly impossible to put out a fire with that much fuel dumping.

Norwalk emptied 15 fire extinquishers on this fire. In 40 years of owning the track they have NEVER had a fire that wasn't put out, this was the first. Saying it took 15 minutes to get the fire department there is incorrect. The first part of that was spent trying to fight the fire themselves. When it was apparent that they were failing they then called the Norwalk firedepartment which is atleast 6 miles away. c

I didn't look at this car, I have seen Showdowns work in the past and it was all hack work. I don't know about this car but their last was one step short of scrap in my book.

It sucks for them that it burned. Proper installation and use of parts isn't something that comes overnight and I am sure that had everything to do with the car catching fire in the rear at the fuel cell in the first place.

Nitrous DOES NOT burn. It does accelerate the burn.

The car that had the back fire the year before was not the same guy.

The owner of the track was very upset by this fire. I was in the tower with him and was actually very surprised that it even had any effect on him with as many years as they have been running the track. NRP is the home track of the IHRA. He was VERY upset by it. All he kept saying was "What if the driver hadn't got out?!" Fire trucks are highly complicated pieces of equipment, you have to have highly trained people to run them and they are not cheap. A fire extinguisher can have a pin pulled by anyone and shot on a fire and most of the time they work. Bill, the track owner, told me he wants to look into a some type of fool proof simple "fire truck" that can be left at the track after this situation happened.

This event was HUGE. For a first year event on a Friday it was unbelievable. OVER 100 cars racing and most of them were EVO/WRX. In the pits there were hundreds of other EVO's./WRX's just parked and coming to watch. At the beginning of the week NRP called and asked what I expected for a turn out. I told him if we got 50 cars and a 100 spectators I would be impressed. He only had enough man power working for a very small event. The event got so large that the office people were put to work for this. I don't think I have ever been to a normal test and tune or small event when the track was equipped with a fire truck. National events the IHRA/NHRA bring in their safety crews with them and have them right there.

Just some real information for you guys.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Bill, the track owner, told me he wants to look into a some type of fool proof simple "fire truck" that can be left at the track after this situation happened.
What about a simple water truck? Sort of like the ones that carry water to folks that live in the country who don't have city water? A pump attached to the truck with a water hose and nozel attached to it might not be that expensive to set up.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Quack
the other damage was an STi trashed a CV joint.
That STi was in the mid 11s. Fastest Suby all day.

Here's a shot I got of the DSM... I have a lot but it they're more of the same:

Old Apr 17, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Shouldn't the fire department be called THE INSTANT a fire starts at a track like that? Instead of trying 15 times to put it out? I know here we have a fire truck and an ambulance on site.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 04:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I am of course personal friends with the owners of the race track. They have owned the track since 1965.

Since that time they have NEVER had a fire like this. Also, not sure who from "Buschur Racing" said it was a nitrous fire but they were incorrect and probably repeated what the announcer had said about it.

There was a nitrous back fire. In carburated applications this will generally burn as they are wet open to air systems. In fuel injected systems such as our cars have it is not as common as the fuel is all enclosed.

This car had fire coming from it, in the rear almost immediately after launch. The major portion of the fire was coming from the rear. The car has plastic fuel cell in it, in the rear. Once a fuel cell goes it is nearly impossible to put out a fire with that much fuel dumping.

Norwalk emptied 15 fire extinquishers on this fire. In 40 years of owning the track they have NEVER had a fire that wasn't put out, this was the first. Saying it took 15 minutes to get the fire department there is incorrect. The first part of that was spent trying to fight the fire themselves. When it was apparent that they were failing they then called the Norwalk firedepartment which is atleast 6 miles away. c

I didn't look at this car, I have seen Showdowns work in the past and it was all hack work. I don't know about this car but their last was one step short of scrap in my book.

It sucks for them that it burned. Proper installation and use of parts isn't something that comes overnight and I am sure that had everything to do with the car catching fire in the rear at the fuel cell in the first place.

Nitrous DOES NOT burn. It does accelerate the burn.

The car that had the back fire the year before was not the same guy.

The owner of the track was very upset by this fire. I was in the tower with him and was actually very surprised that it even had any effect on him with as many years as they have been running the track. NRP is the home track of the IHRA. He was VERY upset by it. All he kept saying was "What if the driver hadn't got out?!" Fire trucks are highly complicated pieces of equipment, you have to have highly trained people to run them and they are not cheap. A fire extinguisher can have a pin pulled by anyone and shot on a fire and most of the time they work. Bill, the track owner, told me he wants to look into a some type of fool proof simple "fire truck" that can be left at the track after this situation happened.

This event was HUGE. For a first year event on a Friday it was unbelievable. OVER 100 cars racing and most of them were EVO/WRX. In the pits there were hundreds of other EVO's./WRX's just parked and coming to watch. At the beginning of the week NRP called and asked what I expected for a turn out. I told him if we got 50 cars and a 100 spectators I would be impressed. He only had enough man power working for a very small event. The event got so large that the office people were put to work for this. I don't think I have ever been to a normal test and tune or small event when the track was equipped with a fire truck. National events the IHRA/NHRA bring in their safety crews with them and have them right there.

Just some real information for you guys.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
On this subject - I wanted to add that the track personel acted immediately and WITHOUT regard to personal saftey to risk their lives to try and rescue this guy's car. The starter and another guy were right up next to that car even after the driver was safley out trying to put out the flames with fire exitinquishers. I bet it cost the track a small fortune in re-fill costs with all the material they dumped on that car. Honestly, I was over 150 feet away and I was scared the car would explode sop I moved furthyer away. Although the smoke was burning my eyes and lungs from afar the track guys hung in there the whole time.

People who are being arm chair quarterbacks on the internet were not there to obesrve the gallant efforts of the Norwalk crew who really impressed me.

Norwalk is the best track I have even been to it bothers me when people make negative comments about it.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 06:14 PM

Talking

hmmmm...... i wonder if they're gonna post anything on dsmtrader, i got dibs on the turbo

on the serious note though, the drivers safety is the main concern so if all is well, one can only learn from they're mistakes. Being an EMT myself, cars can be replaced, but once you see a victim who couldn't make it out, money just doesn't matter. Hoping for the best for you guys in the future.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by otaking; Apr 20, 2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

I agree, they don't appear to have the correct extinguishers on hand. My point is that we are seeing pics of a situation we don't have the whole story on. These pics are not every single detail of the story. I think what the owner did was great because he kept an old school track alive as well as making it much nicer. Also, the car definitely should have been equipped for the chance of a N2O explosion. I mean, you can't jump the gun and say the track was not doing there part when the race team was not prepared either. I just wanted to defend the track because they are not completely at fault as far as we know. I also just like that story.

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
Exactly right, but instead of blaming the track, why didn't the car have a fire suppression system? IMO, if you're playing with nitrous, you need a fire system.

Quick Reply: DSM Fire at Mitsubishi vs Subaru Event...large pics