Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

i want my wing back..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want my wing back..

i de-winged my car, it was ok.. but i want to put it back on. however, when i took it off, i removed all that sticky/foamy substance. what is this sticky substance? i'll need some more to put my wing back on. is i just double sided foam tape?

thx..
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may be able to get the tape pads from the dealer.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i would say double sided foam tape.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3M double sided tape. Pick it up at Walmart for under $5
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
3M double sided tape. Pick it up at Walmart for under $5
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:28 AM

THANKS!
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrojanMan
THANKS!
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu dealer should have it precut. If you don't mind trimming, much cheaper.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

the dealer sells the foam pads...
Old Apr 16, 2005, 03:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i want my

baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back~

baby back ribs~

are they tapes? i think they're just there to make sure that the water doesn't get into the trunk... maybe it's a tape... to hold itself onto the place.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i de-winged my car, it was ok..
thx..
why did you de-wing your evo?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 03:21 AM

^^

cuz i was an idiot..

took off the wing, looked pretty clean, but those daRn holes!!

didn't want to invest in welding/painting my trunk lid, and wanted a trunk lid with the holes just in case i wanted the wing back on. also, didn't want to invest in a base model lancer trunk lid.

furthermore, decided to just put the wing back on for personal reasons. i drive a frickin evo-8. it comes with the wing, and before i bought this car i loved that wing..

now going through the grueling process of putting everything back together:

1. there are these plastic plugs that snap the tail into place. i wanted to remove these because they sort of bulge out. in the process of pulling them out, i ended up ripping them up and one of them fell through the hole and inside/within the trunk lid. so... i had to remove the trunk lid, flip the lid around so that the plastic plugs would roll around until i could grab it with my hand through another larger hole of the trunk lid (underneath). then, had to put the lid back on.. still waiting to hook up the trunk cables again (on a rainy day when i'm bored....).

2. in the process of removing these plastic plugs, i ended up pulling so hard with needle nose pliers, that part of the plug snapped off and the pliers ended up digging right into the trunk surface AND side corner of the car (nice scratch there ).

3. now i need to run to the store, grab some 3m double sided acrylic foam tape and some matching touch up paint. Clean the surfaces of the trunk lid and wing. cut out the foam tape to match the wing surface (good enough to prevent water leakage), and bolt the wing back on.

after all that, i ended up with what i had before, plus a nice scratch! oh.. and i don't have those plastic plugs to add further harnessing of the wing, but i think it will be ok with the foam tape and 2 bolts on each side..

my advice for people going wingless.. just buy a lancer trunk lid.. even then, it's a pain to unplug the trunk cables, remove the trunk, place the new one back and align properly, plug all the cables back on, and even then you have the trunk key to worry about...

Last edited by TrojanMan; Apr 17, 2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

^^

cuz i was an idiot..

took off the wing, looked pretty clean, but those daRn holes!!

didn't want to invest in welding/painting my trunk lid, and wanted a trunk lid with the holes just in case i wanted the wing back on. also, didn't want to invest in a base model lancer trunk lid.

furthermore, decided to just put the wing back on for personal reasons. i drive a frickin evo-8. it comes with the wing, and before i bought this car i loved that wing..

now going through the grueling process of putting everything back together:

1. there are these plastic plugs that snap the tail into place. i wanted to remove these because they sort of bulge out. in the process of pulling them out, i ended up ripping them up and one of them fell through the hole and inside/within the trunk lid. so... i had to remove the trunk lid, flip the lid around so that the plastic plugs would roll around until i could grab it with my hand through another larger hole of the trunk lid (underneath). then, had to put the lid back on.. still waiting to hook up the trunk cables again (on a rainy day when i'm bored....).

2. in the process of removing these plastic plugs, i ended up pulling so hard with needle nose pliers, that part of the plug snapped off and the pliers ended up digging right into the trunk surface AND side corner of the car (nice scratch there ).

3. now i need to run to the store, grab some 3m double sided acrylic foam tape and some matching touch up paint. Clean the surfaces of the trunk lid and wing. cut out the foam tape to match the wing surface (good enough to prevent water leakage), and bolt the wing back on.

after all that, i ended up with what i had before, plus a nice scratch! oh.. and i don't have those plastic plugs to add further harnessing of the wing, but i think it will be ok with the foam tape and 2 bolts on each side..

my advice for people going wingless.. just buy a lancer trunk lid.. even then, it's a pain to unplug the trunk cables, remove the trunk, place the new one back and align properly, plug all the cables back on, and even then you have the trunk key to worry about...

All this trouble and now you want to reverse everything?? Man, that sucks, you might as well kill yourself...j/k...

A-31 is the code you need to get official Apex Silver touch-up paint from dealer...it comes with clearcoat too.