Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cams and dynoflash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just save and get the custom tune... when you start playing with parts like these, you're better off just spending the extra cash to get it tuned specifically to your car, since every car is diff... you'll get a tune that you want too... be it safer for autox/daily driven or just for every other weekend drag racing... and, you'll also get the most power due to it not being a generic "guess-timate" based off of an avg of all the other cars... you could have a Wed car while the others were Mon or Fri cars, or, the other way around... you be glad you got the custom tune down the road, especially when you have it to the floor...
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by justchil
You cant exactly get a custom tune if you mail off your ecu :P
Brilliant response
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dave9172
are you getting hks 264/264?
Yes Hks 264/264 and stock cam gears. I can't wait to get them install and send my ECU to Al for an upgrade.

We have no AWD dyno and tuner in Hawaii, so hopefully the upgrade from Al will be all right. I'm not looking for a "perfect tune", at least a good idle and gain in HP with those 264/264.

Last edited by HxllxMan; Apr 16, 2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

nice cash money, no doubt im getting a custom tune. its just the place where i would get the parts installed is close to my house and tt or dynoflash, whichever one i decide to go with is 2-3 hr drive. i was just wandering if its ok to drive around w/ these parts installed before getting the custom tune???
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

good luck w/ that hxllxman
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

I went to Pruven Performance (where AL does the custom tuning). They installed my cams and fuel pump, then Al came and tuned the car.

However, before Al got there and after they installed the parts, they said I could leave to get some food if I wanted because Al wasnt going to be there for like an hour, they said not to boost the car, thats it. I drove the car untuned wth cams and fuel pump for like 10m no boosting. Car was fine.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

i drove for a while with the same mods before i got a tune, runs rich, bad mileage but it'll be ok, nothing will be effected really
Old Apr 17, 2005, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

tune tune tune, whatever. You can drive on the cams on full boost if you wanted it. It's ok. Mileage? wtf people, flashes don't adjust mileage because when you're cruising, you're in closed loop and a flash can't adjust that. I'm tired of seeing all these threads about "is it ok to drive on this or that." It's absolutely ok to drive on whatever small mods you may have just recently installed like injectors, fuel pump, cams, turboback. Will a tune help? Sure it will, but do you need it now? Absolutely not. Does it help with mileage? Absolutely not. Will it hurt the car? Absolutely not.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

I guess he just want to know if it's safe to drive the car without proper tune.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it's safe, i have been driving now for two weeks without a tune yet. i got GSC 264/272 cam, Walbro fuel pump, ARP head studs. No problems, just running a little rich.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

I was wondering if I really need to reflash my ECU just for the camshaft tho, I have an AFC if the car run to rich, but will a reflash be better? I mean what Al will do to it? I guess better timing?

Last edited by HxllxMan; Apr 17, 2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

im going to be getting cams installed w/ fuel pump 255 and headstuds, then a custom tune (dynoflash or tt). my question is, is the car going to be ok to drive w/ the extra mods before the proper tune, because it might be a week or so before i get the tune. if they install the cams, wont they need to dyno it and play w/ the a/f, all which will probably cost extra, but will come eventually w/ the custom tune. thanks.
I drove with cams on, with out tuning them for 1000 miles, the car runs fine, but with out the full potintial. But you should be alright
Old Apr 17, 2005, 06:51 AM
Former Sponsor

does anyone know if they will install parts and custom tune at turbotrix or dynoflash

Yes we put cams in .. LOL.. 225 / 450 for custom flash with dyno time.. No time limit.

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

so how much for cam install+255 fuel pump install+head stud install+custome tune on dyno?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I have everything you listed done and drove the car for a week before having my super afcII tuned. It ran rich, but no worse than it did with just intake and exhaust. I ran 272i,272e, my egts are the only thing I noticed change from cams other than power. Stock the car pulled so much timing and dumped so much fuel my egt's were climbing to almost 910c @ 6800 rpms in 4th gear. After the car was tuned it never climbs over 820c. Which is right on in my book. If i sent my hallman to 20psi it will spike to about 21psi and hit fuel cut even with the walbro.. So my next mod will be injectors.. And maybe a mail in to get rid of the fuel cut and raise rev limit. I ran someone on here that is a friend of mine when I had stock downpipe and stock cams he had hks dp and 264's and I pulled on him.. so needless to say the flash he got that seems to be so popular on here I am going to stay away from. He had a mail in then went and had a custom tune. Wasnt impressed at all.. especially seeing as how i was running 19 falling to 18 and he was 21-falling to 20.5