Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help with a mod path...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a mod path...

I'm looking to get an ATP GT3540R kit with the 1.06 A/R...

I already have intake, exhaust, fmic, bov, ems, and a few other goodies. I've been told I need to swap out internals to turn boost up... I really dont wanna sound retarded but it looks that way lol. So what all does this mean exactly? Headbolts? Main stud kit? Rod bolts? New pistons? Head gasket? Valves? Valve springs? Valve retainers? I'm really confused so any and all help is appreciated...

I just need to know what's needed to SAFELY run this GT3540R. I'm not quite sure how high I wanna take the boost. I may go as high as 30psi depending on what has to be done to run it that high. I'm also planning to have it ported so I can run the HKS 280 camshafts. Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

nice set-up. Big Turbo !
Are you going to auto-X or Drag race ?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all relative to how far you want to turn the boost up imo.

When I think of internals I think of rods and pistons and all of the upgrades that come with that. Headstuds is a must I would think though.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u might consider a stroker seeing as that turbo is Ginormus and spool will probly suck really really bad on the stock engine..... and i think probly almost all you stated would need to b upgraded

evoisdream
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm.... am i the only person that's gonna tell this guy... NO... bad idea?

this is the worst turbo for this car... not only does it use hte atp housing that uses the stock manifold which means you're pretty much screwed for low end... there's nothing a gt40 can do that a gt35 can't... at least on the 2 liter 4g63... why why why would you do this to a car?

if you wanna ask someone that had the gt40 on their car... ask gt40.... he now has a 3052 on his car... and has spent countless hours nad lots of money un f'ing his car.

btw... many peopel are running the 3052 and the gt35r with stock bottom end and just maybe headstuds... not too much to worry about unless you decide to go beyond 35 psi but you have to do it the SAFE way... run the right gas get the right tune, NO CUTTING CORNERS IN ANY WAY, if you value your engine.

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 18, 2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:18 AM
Evolving Member

Instead of criticising you I will suggest what I would run..based on your wants and needs.I work for the largest garrett distributor in the U.S master distributor that is.Not a performance distributor so I am not pushing one co. over another.ATP has some great offerings I have very much respect for them as they allow people who want stock looks but also want to benifit from a better built higher flowing turbo without spending 300 additional or more dollars on new manifold/header..

Ask yourself these simple questions... what hp do I want? What do I want to use this car for? and how much do I want to spend?

Based on that.. I can give you a better idea of what you will want and will be most happy with.

If your gonna be autoxing or driving the car around town alot and super good response and a more roadtrack oriented car with lets say high 300-450whp go witht he gt3071r... its compact works great and has very track oriented spool characteristics..

If your not super concerned about spool up but dont want a lag monster go with the 3076 (gt30r) it's older than the 3071r which was created to fill the gap between the gt28 series and the 3076. But its a good middle of the road 400-500hp turbo..

If you are a drag racer and want big power without making a huge sacrifice in the driveability of your car then you can go the gt35r route.. its a good turbo and people have made 600+whp on this turbo.. you dont need a jumbo turbo like boost solutions used on there deportation mobile. To make big power.. from the way you talk I dont think your building a dyno queen with 500rpm power band...

I am going the 3071r route. after much debate.. Even on the stock manifold it pics up plenty of power and AMS out of illinois used this turbo on their car to set some local road course track records.. It spools quick... its reliable and you can make good power without maxing it out!.. I will be using the ATP housing.. it's inexpensive for the roll it plays and keeps the car stock appearing... Yes you will get gains from equal lenght manifolds and so on, but not enough for me to worry about..

As far as internals.. if your wanting big boost.. do it slow.. make sure you have fuel... cool air a good intercooler.. good headstuds etc.. Dont make your plans based on boost I would have headstuds in if you plan to go over 22psi or even run the car at 21-22 under extreme conditions they are a simple super cost effective upgrade... make them based on what hp you want to achieve.. you already have the ground work laid to make good power as is.. If your going to be shooting for 500 or so hp to make it reliable go ahead and put good rods and pistons in.. may as well have the crank ballanced and polished while its out.. Dont neglect the valvetrain.. get cams to work with your application prolly 272's in your case or 280's if your building a race car of sorts.. good springs.. retainers and valves.. Look at some sponsors sites on here.. They will have what you need.. about everyone one of them can get anything you need to build your car.. and when you spend money with them most are more than willing to help you mod it correctly.. It sucks to blow up a car.. dont rush it.. do it right.

Last edited by humpevo311; Apr 18, 2005 at 02:21 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 09:13 AM

As far as the intake manifold goes, I want to get a Magnus sheet metal one so I think that takes care of that. I've been looking at different places and just throwing some ideas around...

Would a Bushur stage 3 shortblock (pistons, rods, fasteners, and fully blueprinted and balanced) along with a Bushur stage 3 cylinder head (bronze valve guides, valve springs, titanium retainers, stainless intake and exhaust valves, and stainless o-rings) work well???

As far as my wants/goals... I'd like to keep it reliable and streetable, however, my focus is on dragging... I'd like to break into the low 600's AWHP if I can. Hoping to achieve mid to low 10's
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
uhm.... am i the only person that's gonna tell this guy... NO... bad idea?

this is the worst turbo for this car... not only does it use hte atp housing that uses the stock manifold which means you're pretty much screwed for low end... there's nothing a gt40 can do that a gt35 can't... at least on the 2 liter 4g63... why why why would you do this to a car?

if you wanna ask someone that had the gt40 on their car... ask gt40.... he now has a 3052 on his car... and has spent countless hours nad lots of money un f'ing his car.

btw... many peopel are running the 3052 and the gt35r with stock bottom end and just maybe headstuds... not too much to worry about unless you decide to go beyond 35 psi but you have to do it the SAFE way... run the right gas get the right tune, NO CUTTING CORNERS IN ANY WAY, if you value your engine.
I hear ya man. Id also say to definitely NOT get that turbo but if that is what he wants, let him try it out and see what is it like. Even the GT35R is too big IMO for street driving with a 2.0 but this guy might be just running race gas and dragging it, so it depends on application.

I raced a 1g AWD this weekend with a tubular mani, built motor/trans GT35R, the works.. he was on pump gas. I pulled him so easily he was amazed. WHile his turbo was spooling I was putting car lenghts on him... literally. I think he is downgrading in size now. People will learn!

IMO its all about combination. That is why you see people with smaller turbos with the right mods right next to people with much bigger turbos and even more modifications.

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Apr 18, 2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Are you going to drag race the car. That turbo and back housing is wayyyy tooo biggg.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Even tho I didnt have any questions, thanks for all of your guys's replies you taught me a lot
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:19 PM

So if that turbo is too big... what's a good setup to break into the 10's and still stay streetable???
Old Apr 18, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm.... most people in the 10 second area are running gt35r.... but if you wanna run 10s you're lookin' at lots of pain... drive train pain and stuff.... but if you wanna do it... any one of hte big shops, br, ams, pruven, turbotrix, all have cars that are doin' at most 10s... copy one of their cars.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Varioram911
So if that turbo is too big... what's a good setup to break into the 10's and still stay streetable???
I think a GT30R is what youre looking for. Its completely streetable and can go 10s off the bottle no problem with just race gas and 28psi. - Or at least low 11s!

The GT30R comes in different combos. I know RNR sells it. They spool FAST! Funny we are discussing this, my brother's GT30R just got delivered like 30 mins ago to my house. Im staring at it... its beautiful!
Attached Images  
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Amazing that I know ams was running a gt35r... and now have went bigger with what looks like a 42r... If your wanting low 10's your gonna sacrifice streetability.Al at dynoflash also runs a 35r as well as a friend of mine who I have rode with many times and his car is very streetable and on a poor tune on pump gas made a 450whp.. and is capable of much much more.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:35 PM

Ok, who actually has the GT35R and the GT30R???

If you have either please tell me where it begins to spool and how much power your putting down. Also include your other mods please...

I want to upgrade the turbo, internals, intake, exhaust, fuel, ems, and fmic plus whatever is needed to support the turbo