Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

05 EVO VIII vs. 05 Mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 EVO VIII vs. 05 Mustang gt

I am getting an evo and my bro. has the new mustang gt. Give me your comparisons on speed, handling etc.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

mustang gt = a dime a dozen
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

wait for ix.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

mustangs aren't slow, but they'll handle like tanks compared to our evo's. And the evo is still faster.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

evo > mustang gt
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by earthman
wait for ix.

How much more of difference do you think the Ix will have over teh Vii?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

evo8 has less horsepower but you wouldnt know it.. the new mustangs dont seem to be any faster if at all than the 02's and prior.. with just simple bolt on's I put on about 6 cars from 5mph roll so traction wasnt an issue. The mustangs handle ok but nowhere near as responsive good at breaking etc. as an evo. You can also haul 4 passengers while rolling them up.
P.S the 9 isnt supposed to have much more hp than the current evo.. it's mivec system is mainly for smoother power and better emmisions.. Mitsubishi said that themselves. Pluse when it comes to mods mivec will only add complication.. it's a vtec evo of sorts.
Evolving Member

variable valve timing = the bomb
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mivec should have some impact on top end power, which evo's seem to struggle in stock form.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

No comparison...the Evo will stomp it. The only thing the Mustang has is a classier look, I'll give it that.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am a newbie as you can tell. I have been reading today about problems that could happen to the evo, I doubt I will have any, but do you guys take your evo's to regular shops (oil, lube, etc dealer?) or does one need to go to a specialty shop for the basics. (not performance shops)
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scott
How much more of difference do you think the Ix will have over teh Vii?
Wow, type much?

Base the EVO IX will be very very similar to the VIII MR. The high-end next gen EVO the IX GT (or what ever they call it) will be a 10% increase over the VIII MR or the base IX. On the other hand, (here come the flames) the top end mustang will be the Shelby COBRA GT500. It will kill an EVO out of the box. It will make up in power what it lacks in handling. Yes, an EVO with 10K in mods will smoke the **** out of it. Nevertheless, add 10K to the cobra and look out.

It is a good head-to-head comparison between the two. The best of America vs. the best of Japan. By best, I mean the best volume production car.

So, it is up to the conditions and the event on which is better. I haven't seen a Mustang (GT or COBRA) that can come close to me in an autocross or on the track (1.2 mile, 14 turns). But I have had my doors blown off by one in a straight line (0-150 run) around 80 he went by like he was going 120. But the same car (same mods) I can whip-up on in a 1:00 minute autocross I can beat by 8-10 seconds.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

the new cobra gt500 will eat an evo alive. not sure what the sticker is, prob around 40k. as far as an 05 GT, stock vs stock, my moneys on the evo. although, the new mustang looks tight and has decent mod potenial. i dunno. my last car was a 98 mustang gt. i guess it was a cool car for a while. after too many miles it really started to feel like a ford though. crap started falling apart or stopped working. i have owned 3 mustangs in my life. i have vowed to never buy another...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

i believe the new 05 mustang gt has about 300 horsepower, but if you think the power to weight ratio the evo's gonna spank that ***. as for the shelby gt500 thats basically gonna be a sick car if it can live up to the original that is. but its going to be a very limited car. also if any of you younger guys on here ever seen a older shelby500 i believe the original was in gone in 60 seconds with nicholas cage.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

well... the shelby is irrelevant as the comparo here is the GT vs Evo as originally posted... hands down, Evo just man-handles the stang... handling, acceleration, braking, everyday practicality... evo owns... looks wise, the stang may have the edge if you're a muscle car fan like i am as ford pulled off the retro look just fine...

now, onto the Shelby... limited run, $45k sticker, $8+ dealer markup (they're getting $5k over for GT's still, and more for the convertables), and NO ind rear suspension **read solid live rear axle** ^_^ = a significant waste of money compared to a Vette that can actually handle too... unless you're a hard core stang lover...

Quick Reply: 05 EVO VIII vs. 05 Mustang gt