Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Maintenance - Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005 | 05:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Maintenance - Evo

Hey, I'm looking to get an Evo in the next two-three months. I was just curious what types of maintenance these bad boys require? Anything unusual or a pain in the butt? Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

hoax
Old Apr 21, 2005 | 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Based on what everyone on here *****es about, and people elsewhere, maintenence costs a lot. Transmission is sometimes *****y, especially the stock clutch. Some cars throw a P0300 code which is so far only partially treatable. Tires are UHP summer tires, so you need an extra set for winter (if you want to drive it then) and wear out quite quickly. I think that's about it, if you don't care about keeping your car looking good.
Old Apr 21, 2005 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.

Yeah, you're going to pay for expensive tires, and synthetic quite frequently. If you start breaking stuff you're going to pay even more.

Treat it nicely, and it will treat you nicely.
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Based on what everyone on here *****es about, and people elsewhere, maintenence costs a lot. Transmission is sometimes *****y, especially the stock clutch. Some cars throw a P0300 code which is so far only partially treatable. Tires are UHP summer tires, so you need an extra set for winter (if you want to drive it then) and wear out quite quickly. I think that's about it, if you don't care about keeping your car looking good.
Last time I checked a transmission wasn't a mainteneance item?? CEL codes aren't either.

Like anything else, if you abuse the car it will abuse your wallet. Follow the factory maint schedule and it won't cost you anymore than any other car. Contrary to popular belief, they are pretty solid until you abuse the crap out of them.
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
Hey, I'm looking to get an Evo in the next two-three months. I was just curious what types of maintenance these bad boys require? Anything unusual or a pain in the butt? Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

hoax
Are you planning to get a new one, 05 or 06? I would. The costs of maintenance are just like any other car. One thing that may be more expensive is the tires. The stock tires will only last 10-16k depending on how you drive. (If you rip turns everyday, a lot, they might only last 7k). However, Ive been kicking the **** out of mine for a solid 10,000 miles and I still have at least another 3-4k to go.

Keep in mind, if you decide to get a new 05 or 06, free maintenace is included, but I only reccomend that if you are not going to modify the car, unlike me!
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

If you plan on keeping the Evo stock-- costs are probably 50% higher than your average non-performance sedan. I've actually managed to get my tires to last more than 30k miles with some very spirited driving, but I also keep winter tires on several months of the year.

Servicing the car is a little more expensive-- 15k service, 30k service-- ranges from 200-450 depending on who you utilize but essentially on par with cheaper higher performance cars. I've had an S4 and SHO Taurus in the past and this falls somewhere in between. Insurance is also slightly higher unless you are coming from a Cobra convertible or an M3.

In the end though-- if you can swing it, it's freaking incredible!
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Expensive oil changes, instead of just changin trans fluid, you got the rear diff. and transfer case. Brakes ware out quite frequently, and you cant go buy them at pepboys for $15. Stock tires will not last long, anything you replace them that claim to last long, wont handle good.
Old Apr 23, 2005 | 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

I think that one of the main themes here is how you treat the car. I had my 03 and the maintenance was minimal. Expensive oil changes were my only expense (as I traded on an 05 before any other maintenance issues.) I know that brakes are expensive for it, as are many parts if they wear out or break. It doesn't get the best gas numbers, but I was used to driving 4x4 trucks around, so it's not bad to me.
If you mod it and take it to the drag strip, it will probably start getting expensive. The mods aren't too bad for this car (if you research it and don't want to spend a lot of cash) in many cases, especially for the results. But the age-old saying holds true here, "you play you pay".