Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any 05'ers Considered 05 GTO?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any 05'ers Considered 05 GTO?

Did any of you 05 Evo owners consider the 05 Pontiac GTO before making your purchase? If you did, please post your thoughts. I'm currently looking at the two.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Crossed my mind for about 2 sec. .

Thing is just nasty looking.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Pontiac? ACK....
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Never
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:22 PM

Wasn't really asking for Pontiac bashing. I think the GTO is a worthy contender to the Evo in terms of performance. Honestly, I think the GTO would rape the Evo on the highways. The GTO has a lot going for it in terms of interior quality as well. I just haven't sat in one yet. Any of you?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
Pontiac? ACK....
Right On! Fugly.......
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

The GTO has nothing in the line of handling that the Evo has, and also does not have the attitude on the outside. The Evo looks like it's going to bite you if you get too close...the GTO looks like it'd lick you or at most pee on your foot. The GTO is great for in-line speed, and the engine has a lot of potential, and is amazing off the lot, but I would take an EVO any day. My friend has a supercharged GTO that is going to have around 550-600whp when he bolts on the other goodies he already has for it, but still...I'd take a 350whp Evo over that any day. The steering is so responsive and the grip is unimaginable.

If you want to build a track car, or get an all around performer with looks, attitude, power, and handling, definitely DEFINITELY get the Evo. If you want to lay down a lot of rubber, make a lot of smoke, or envision spending days at the 1/4 mile track, I'd opt for the GTO just because you'll get lower numbers with less mods, and the car is just set up to do that better.

You also live in IL, so if you plan to drive this in the snow, I'd consider heavily if you want a 400+hp rwd car in the snow, or if you'd rather have a 300+ hp AWD car (assuming you'd modify if you bought the car). That's one of the huge reasons I chose the Evo over anything else - the fact that on a day like today (end of April, and we're supposed to get up to 4 inches of snow) I can think "cool, I can drive my car today" instead of "shoot...have to wait until the pavement's dry"

Last edited by AutoEuphoria; Apr 23, 2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Performance, Highway? Yeah... that's it... isn't the GTO only 2 door 2 seater too? And it's BIG as hell
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2k1Fiver
Wasn't really asking for Pontiac bashing. I think the GTO is a worthy contender to the Evo in terms of performance. Honestly, I think the GTO would rape the Evo on the highways. The GTO has a lot going for it in terms of interior quality as well. I just haven't sat in one yet. Any of you?
I think the only place the cars can be compared is straight line performance. Other than that, the evo would rape the GTO. The GTO will likely have a more compliant ride and be a more comfortable daily driver, but if you're going for all out performance, the evo would appear to be the way to go. Just my opinion.

-Paul
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:27 PM
Former Vendor

buy there is alot of misinformed people commenting about this car.. why dont people read up before they post something..
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
buy there is alot of misinformed people commenting about this car.. why dont people read up before they post something..
buy = boy..... Perhaps you could enlighten us..
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

isn't the GTO only 2 door 2 seater too? And it's BIG as hell
It's a 2 door that seats 5...it has a full rear bench seat with 2 buckets and a hump between them that a small person could fit into (don't know how comfortable it'd be).

And that's another good point. Driving the Evo I found that it doesn't even feel like it's a big 4-door sedan. It feels like a sports car. The GTO feels like a land boat with a beefy engine and transmission. For the record, I do know that the GTO can handle pretty well, but it suffers from what every high HP high torque RWD car suffers from - massive oversteer.

Oh, and interior quality is a personal opinion...the overall design scheme of the GTO seems better, but I think the Evo's seats (esp. with the leather option) are much better and feel much more like they belong in a high performance car, and I think that the Evo's steering wheel is much more race-inspired...I like the GTO's gauges a bit better because they're bigger and more brightly lit, and the GTO's stock radio is MUCH better than that POS Mitsubishi put in the Evo.

Last edited by AutoEuphoria; Apr 23, 2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the GTO is a worthy contender to the Evo in terms of performance.
Then you haven't driven an Evo, or you only define "performance" as straight line speed from a roll.

Honestly, I think the GTO would rape the Evo on the highways.
You think? Why wouldn't it? It has 350hp and 2wd. Yeah, it weighs a lot more, but the highway is the only place it can hold its own.

The GTO has a lot going for it in terms of interior quality as well. I just haven't sat in one yet. Any of you?
Interior quality in a Pontiac? That would be a first...
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Most cars have a niche, and I think the GTO fills its nicely - but it's like the ugly girl that gives great head at closing time - except you have to marry her for five years. (Or more.)

Great car, spec-wise, but... yuck.

I'd love to rip through the gears in one, but I wouldn't want to drive one of the ugly bastards every day... for the next howevermany years.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

For handling numbers, the 2005 EVO pulled a .95g skidpad, while the 2005 GTO pulled only a .85g.

For in-line speed numbers, the GTO did the 1/4 mile in 13.3 while the 2005 Evo MR did it in 13.4.

Those were the numbers I found from my searches...mostly Motor Trend data