Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

warranty woes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when Auto Week ran that original article about Mitsu supposedly voiding warranties, it said that Porsche and some other manufactures do the same thing.

Maybe you have a GREAT Pontiac dealership (or know someone who works there).

I know Ford voids as much of the warranty as they can when you put a smaller pully on a 2003 Cobra (visit the svt board for proof).

It only makes sense that they would. No manufacturer is in the business to fix stuff that is done to a car with 50hp more than it had from the factory.

It is not just Mitsu... wake up.

Originally Posted by Mr.MR
NOT TRUE! I have owned many new cars and had mods but never was told that anything would be voided if it wasn't a proven fact that a mod caused the failure. I have an 11 second Pontiac that had lots of warranty work covered. They even payed for a new rear end and rebuilt my trans under warranty! Mitsu is just in debt and doing anything they can to save money right now. DO NOT let these a-holes rip you off. Like someone said, your warranty was built into the cost of your car, Mitsu knows that and they can only void failures they take the time to prove you caused with mods. If you don't let them walk on you they will see you understand the law and do the right thing.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

when Auto Week ran that original article about Mitsu supposedly voiding warranties, it said that Porsche and some other manufactures do the same thing.

Well I guess Porsche is trying to screw thier buyers too then!

Maybe you have a GREAT Pontiac dealership (or know someone who works there).

I had the GM extended warranty. The work was done at a Chevy dealership and also done at a performance shop that specialized in F-bodies. The district rep okayed the work and they did it no problem. I had no ties with the dealership.

I know Ford voids as much of the warranty as they can when you put a smaller pully on a 2003 Cobra (visit the svt board for proof).

I guess I'll tell my friend who is the shop manager at a Ford dealership to start blanket voiding warranties as soon as he sees a pulley changed then. He heads the service dept and the performance shop inside the dealer. He said that since the cost of the warranty is factored into the car, which I know is true because I work for Ford. He will warranty failures the first time as long as the customer is cool about it. He has repaired several IRS's once under warranty then told the customer next one is on you.

It only makes sense that they would. No manufacturer is in the business to fix stuff that is done to a car with 50hp more than it had from the factory.

Just because a car has more hp then stock doesn't mean every single problem it has was caused by the extra power. A mbc is gonna have the possibilty of doing major damage but the warranty should not be void if the mbc was not definitely the direct cause of a failure.

It is not just Mitsu... wake up.

I never said it was just , I said they were in debt and were using common business practices to get out of debt, and he should stand up for his rights as a consumer.

Last edited by Mr.MR; Apr 26, 2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

It's definitely down to the individual dealership. Mine actively encouraged me to mod my S4, and I'm glad they did. Been chipped from day 1 (now putting out 70 hp and 120 lb/ft torque more than stock) and never had one mod-related problem with it....touch wood.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

I agree... it also depends on what condition the car shows up in..... i would imagine a car with 4k miles that has the tires worn off completely would probably get them to dig a little further for reasons to void a warranty.

The internet allows people to post just their side of the story, so you almost never know what is actually going on.

Originally Posted by MTMS4
It's definitely down to the individual dealership. Mine actively encouraged me to mod my S4, and I'm glad they did. Been chipped from day 1 (now putting out 70 hp and 120 lb/ft torque more than stock) and never had one mod-related problem with it....touch wood.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks.. that's why I don't bother going in for ANY service. I'll buy and install the parts myself. Service is how the dealerships make a lot of their money.

You're 100% right Scot.. you only hear half the story most of the time.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scot
I agree... it also depends on what condition the car shows up in..... i would imagine a car with 4k miles that has the tires worn off completely would probably get them to dig a little further for reasons to void a warranty.

The internet allows people to post just their side of the story, so you almost never know what is actually going on.
Good points! I remember when the rep came out to look at the TA I had in for the rear end. He asked about the drag radials. They told him they are dot approved and he said that's true, then ok'd the job.

I always wonder what the real story is with these guys getting shot down by Mitsu for warranties? It seems like almost everyone has had problems. I called in and set up an appt for mine, so I guess I will see.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am due for my 15K service in about 300 miles. I have a MBC mounted to one side of the batter tie down. Do you guys think that if I unscrewed it and tucked it away that they would still find it and give me $hit for it? Any opinions please!
Old Apr 28, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on the dealership.. some dealerships won't care some will.