Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

warranty woes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warranty woes

I just had to vent a little. I go to the dealer for 15k service and get my warranty voided.(for boost cont and bov, never had a problem before) I wasn't even there for warranty work!! And then they have the nerve to try and charge me for a filter (I have an HKS) and $75 an axle to cut my brakes. I know it's already been a topic here before, but it never happened to me. Why does the tech even care, it's not coming out of his pocket? Does he get a bonus for pointing this out? What an ***. They'll never see my money again.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Can definitely feel for your situation here, I'm not sure about Mitsubishi's policy on this but if I were you I'd call the Mitsu help line and pretend as if I were looking into buying the car and give the VIN to check the warranty status, if it was just the tech who looked over the car and made that comment without putting any note in the system its likely your warranty is not void. Also, at worst I'd say a service manager at a level headed dealership would only not cover motor issues, which are largely limited in scope with proper maintenance.

Good luck working everything out.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:23 AM

Nah, that's the thing. No one told me, I seen the service card when the manager was showing me the details of the service. It was written in the corner for the service card. "Warranty voided- customer has boost controller, blow off valve"
And all i was gettin was an oil change.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I know hindsight is 20/20, but why the heck didn't you change your own oil?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94280

it's something that you should do b/c you rely on your own work, not someone elses.

True, you should probably be shopping around Mitsu dealers before you bring your car in... to find the mod friendly people...

I would even try changing your oil at Walmart....it's cheaper...like 15 bucks for labor and they have the Mobil 1 oil right there...just give them the OEM Filter and crusher ring...

I'm not flaming you, I do feel bad for you, but some of this stuff you can avoid, and prob should do yourself anyways.

good luck.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

That sucks man. That is why I stay away from the Stealerships. I bought my car with mods and called to check first if the warrenty was still good. Then I called 3 different stealerships and asked if a BOV, intake, exhaust, or turbotimer voided warrenty and they said that any one of them would void the warrenty. What a bunch of BS.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

why do you guys let them void your warranty? i had a similar problem with my local dodge dealership. the service manager told me that i had to pay for the work done cause they voided my warranty due to suspension upgrades. i told him that in order for me to pay, or to have my warranty voided, i would need him to write it out on company letterhead, it would need his signature, the owners signature, and the local daimler-chrysler rep's signature on it. and then i told him that daimler-chrysler would be getting a call, and if that didnt do anything, a call from a local lawyer and the BBB (better buisness beauro) would be in order. after all of that, funniest thing, they fixed it all for free!!!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

remember boys and girls, you paid for your warranty. if they void it without acurate cause, they ARE STEALING FROM YOU!!! you paid for it, so they can either pay you back for it, or suck it up and fix it. warranty can only be voided WHEN they can prove that teh part that failed was caused by the mod - you all know that - so dont sit down and take it.

there has to be a lawyer on this board who woudl be willing to get a class-action lawsuit going! there is more than enough evidence to have a good case
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

^yup you hit it right on, know your rights and fight for them
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mdosu
I know hindsight is 20/20, but why the heck didn't you change your own oil?
Normally I change my own oil, but I go to the dealer because it's free. If I change it myself, I would at least have to pay for the filter and the oil. It just makes good economic sense to me.

When I was there for my 5k service, I discussed this with my dealer and they said they'd never blanket void a warranty because they have to prove that the modification caused the problem. I know when I have been there for warranty work on my Eclipse, they gave me difficulties, but ended up fixing the problem under warranty. I assume this was to set standard expectations. They seem to treat me like I have no idea what I'm talking about, but then fix the problem just like I originally asked. (Stopping myself from venting)

Based on what I've read and been told, I find it hard to believe they can just blanket void all warranty work, yet so many people here have had it happen. I guess if you can find a decent dealership, you'll be lucky.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

they cant leagally blanket void your warranty. thats why you get it in writting as to why its voided and get a signature. that way you have proof that they ripped you off, and have a leg to stand on
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:47 AM

It was a 15k service, not just an oil change, I know that dosn't include much more, and I've done plenty of oil changes, but this is my first new car and I want it all done legit. There's only 2 people at my dealer that work on evo's, and from what i've heard they're real pains. I'm not going to contest it until I do need warranty work, then I'll hit 'em with the legal B.S.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

this is why i didn't do anything to my Evo....

They are legit in voiding parts of your warranty... obviously if your stereo stops working they should cover that, but anything engine wise they could probably blame on the extra boost you are running.

what did you expect though? you play, you got's to pay. almost any manufacturer would do that.

You think a VAFC on a Honda or Toyota would be allowed? probably not.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure the warranty void is in the mitsu corporate system and not just in the dealership computer? I know some dealerships keep "tabs" on evos in their own system but dont upload it into the master database.

The corporate info is in a secure server. I saw a dealer service manager check the info on mine while I was standing there.... Its a screen that gives a status (active/expired/restricted/etc) of every single warranty (b2b,powertrain,rust,etc) and does not look like some random comment on the top of a service sheet.

Maybe its just a dealer note. Maybe your ok at another dealership. Might be worth your while to find out.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear
Old Apr 25, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scot
this is why i didn't do anything to my Evo....

but anything engine wise they could probably blame on the extra boost you are running.

almost any manufacturer would do that.

You think a VAFC on a Honda or Toyota would be allowed? probably not.
NOT TRUE! I have owned many new cars and had mods but never was told that anything would be voided if it wasn't a proven fact that a mod caused the failure. I have an 11 second Pontiac that had lots of warranty work covered. They even payed for a new rear end and rebuilt my trans under warranty! Mitsu is just in debt and doing anything they can to save money right now. DO NOT let these a-holes rip you off. Like someone said, your warranty was built into the cost of your car, Mitsu knows that and they can only void failures they take the time to prove you caused with mods. If you don't let them walk on you they will see you understand the law and do the right thing.